Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't believe this... People don't really think like this do they? I really hope that this is a "fake news" story but my suspicions tell me that it's real. I thought we left 17th century New England behind us... This simply blows my mind.

Magic trick costs teacher job - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
It's unbelievably ridiculous but it doesn't surprise me all that much. There are many people who believe you can conjure up demons or even satan himself if you do something like play with a ouija board. Remember the scene in The Exorcist with the ouija board? This falls into the same category as people wanting to ban Harry Potter books because it talks about wizards and magic. I guess that's one of those strange things about American culture.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

51 posts, read 166,939 times
Oh, WOW. It's the Salem witch trials, all over again. Except we can probably watch it on TV this time.

You'd THINK people would have evolved a little bit more since 1692.

(Oops - had to edit because apparently I'm incapable of inserting an image...OR MAYBE, SINCE IT WAS AN IMAGE OF WITCHES, the DEVIL prevented me from posting it!!!)

Last edited by rachelteehee; 05-08-2008 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: I'm silly.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's unbelievably ridiculous but it doesn't surprise me all that much. There are many people who believe you can conjure up demons or even satan himself if you do something like play with a ouija board. Remember the scene in The Exorcist with the ouija board? This falls into the same category as people wanting to ban Harry Potter books because it talks about wizards and magic. I guess that's one of those strange things about American culture.
I guess the thing that gets me about it is that people would try to (and succeed in) ruining someone's livelihood over it. I can understand that he was not abiding by the curriculum but that's not what he was relieved for. He was relieved for "wizardry" which simply blows my mind. The thing is, he could probably show people how the magic trick was done and prove to them that there's nothing magical about it.

On top of that, the fact that an educational institution bought the "wizardry" thing is almost depressing...

Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
That was ridiculous..My dad used to pull pennies magically from my ears when I was a kid..I inherited the gift, because I can go to the grocery store for a few item and make a $100 bill disappear..Do you think I may be a witch or a wizard?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
That doesn't surprise me at all. I remember this guy doing a trick called Stigmata (In which the First letter or number and suit of a selected card appear on the magicians arm..in blood.) for a group of people. This Catholic priest walked by and said he was the devil, lol.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
This Catholic priest walked by and said he was the devil, lol.
I hope he turned the priest into a rabbit...

Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Run Chris Angel....Run fast!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Now see, this is the type of thing that gives Christians a bad name. Ooooh, a toothpick disapearing ---- must be the devils work! If I were a parent in Florida, I would be much more concerned with my kids falling math scores
Say what you will about Catholics (and god knows there are those on this forum that can't shut up about it) at least they understand about magic tricks and Harry Potter

Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I honestly can't believe this... People don't really think like this do they? I really hope that this is a "fake news" story but my suspicions tell me that it's real. I thought we left 17th century New England behind us... This simply blows my mind.

Magic trick costs teacher job - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)

Troop,
I just have to believe that there is more to that story than we are hearing. Far be it for the new media to tell the whole truth. I am pretty sure that one of my teachers high school teachers likes to do tricks/magic in his class. I would never consider even having a talk with the teacher unless it involved anything from Rick Jones or Chick Pub..
<>< weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality