Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2021, 06:31 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I started this thread because of three separate anti-atheist/ism threads started by another poster. I was taken aback by her vitriol. It seemed intensely personal.

The source of that virulent antipathy is what I was interested in and surmised it might be because of fear that atheists may be correct.

That poster seems to have halted her crusade, at least temporarily, but my curiousity remains.
It is not fear. Not at all.
Both the Theist/Atheist would like things to be the way they would prefer them to be. That is the desire of everyone. All people would like to live in a world where things are how they like it.
The Theists have something, as respects their Belief...whatever that may be.
The Atheists have nothing, as respects their Belief...that is the basis of their position.
So...when a Theist "shares" their position with a Atheist...technically, they are trying to give them something (Belief in whatever) they do not have.
When a Atheist "shares" their position with a Theist...technically, they are trying to take something from them (their Belief in whatever) that they have.
If each had their way: Theist = Both have "something". Atheist = Both have "nothing".
Now...add to this dynamic that "Belief in Whatever" is the "norm", the "standard" if you will, for thousands of years...4 out of 5 have had some kind of Belief.
So...when that 1 out of 5 comes along...and basically says that they have nothing, and think it best that the other 80% don't either...the 80% are gonna think that is not cool.
Not because they are "afraid"...but because everyone wants things to be the way they would prefer them.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:35 AM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
This seems like a good point to remind the religionists -- we don't want you sharing your religion with us. We want you to leave us out of it and mind your business. (I am speaking here of "real life", not "forum life").

Old 03-20-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This seems like a good point to remind the religionists -- we don't want you sharing your religion with us. We want you to leave us out of it and mind your business. (I am speaking here of "real life", not "forum life").
"Real life" does not work like that.
People "share" what they think, what they like, their opinions about things, things they did & experienced, etc.
You can never get away from that...unless you get away from all people.
Best to learn to cope. Most do.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:07 PM

239 posts, read 134,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymarker View Post
This thread is a dead duck for the simple reason Christians don't hate atheists or anybody else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You may be right. While I do percieve a strong antipathy towards atheists that can quickly become Personal in Some (not all) cases, 'Hate' may be too strong a word for being a profitable basis for discussion.

I've always got on great with everybody in life, many might be atheists and nonchristians but I don't care unless they start talking about atheism and badmouthing christianity, that's when I feel obliged to discuss it with them for fun..
For example the lady in our local grocers used to flutter her eyelashes at me and I was thinking of inviting her round for tea and crumpets, but then she blew it by mentioning she attended a Spiritualist church, so I completely lost interest in her and politely avoided her.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:16 PM

239 posts, read 134,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But mate this thread title is 'Believers' Hatred Of Atheism..' so it's calling out me and other christians to point out that it's not true..
Same with any other controversial thread titles, my message to the posters is-

RIGHT PLACE- https://youtu.be/OTRjpWSQ_Yw

Old 03-20-2021, 01:19 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymarker View Post
But mate this thread title is 'Believers' Hatred Of Atheism..' so it's calling out me and other christians to point out that it's not true..
Same with any other controversial thread titles, my message to the posters is-

RIGHT PLACE- https://youtu.be/OTRjpWSQ_Yw
"Believers" doesn't mean just Christians.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:43 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It is not fear. Not at all.
Both the Theist/Atheist would like things to be the way they would prefer them to be. That is the desire of everyone. All people would like to live in a world where things are how they like it.

Not because they are "afraid"...but because everyone wants things to be the way they would prefer them.
Sort Of

The self actualized person will respect and enjoy the diversity, while the banal and binary thinker cannot.
My father was the perfect caricature of a fundamentalist when I was growing up. He is not as much now, but still falls into the "Either or" trap often. Point is, he believed that if everyone were like him, and everyone would agree with him, then the world would be a perfect place. and he would argue that to no end. So, in his world, only the things he likes exist.....so you cannot go out for fast food because he does not like it. Fast food no longer exists in his world. On the other hand, 90% of all restaurants are steak houses or Mexican places.
Skiing no longer exists, no more winter Olympics because he does not like them.... and auto racing has gone by the wayside too. Motorcycles are banned. On TV, most channels run the same programs over and over. Because after all, everyone has to do what he chooses.

That is the outlook of the lowest level of human existence, one who has not yet achieved any healthy level of personal self esteem, and feels threatened by anyone who has an idea or concept which is different than his own. Kind of like the way North Korea, Iran and the USSR operate(d).

But remember, many churches prefer members without self esteem, as that allows the controlling and abusive nature of the church to continue.

As for a personal preference, well, I respect that everyone has a preference. And so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others, especially mine, then no harm is done.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Sort Of

The self actualized person will respect and enjoy the diversity, while the banal and binary thinker cannot.
My father was the perfect caricature of a fundamentalist when I was growing up. He is not as much now, but still falls into the "Either or" trap often. Point is, he believed that if everyone were like him, and everyone would agree with him, then the world would be a perfect place. and he would argue that to no end. So, in his world, only the things he likes exist.....so you cannot go out for fast food because he does not like it. Fast food no longer exists in his world. On the other hand, 90% of all restaurants are steak houses or Mexican places.
Skiing no longer exists, no more winter Olympics because he does not like them.... and auto racing has gone by the wayside too. Motorcycles are banned. On TV, most channels run the same programs over and over. Because after all, everyone has to do what he chooses.

That is the outlook of the lowest level of human existence, one who has not yet achieved any healthy level of personal self esteem, and feels threatened by anyone who has an idea or concept which is different than his own. Kind of like the way North Korea, Iran and the USSR operate(d).

But remember, many churches prefer members without self esteem, as that allows the controlling and abusive nature of the church to continue.

As for a personal preference, well, I respect that everyone has a preference. And so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others, especially mine, then no harm is done.
yuppers. definitely ... with out a doubt ... sort-a kind-a. I am 100% 50-50 on it.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Sort Of

Wow LKC...of all the things to not be the way that you preferred it to be...your own Father.
I can tell it really bothered you (and still does) that your Father had those ideas and concepts that were different from yours.
But that's ok...we all know that things will never be exactly how we'd like them.
I'm glad he is now more to your liking...I'm sure that helps the relationship.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah ... I stand by my classifications. They are based on how people, in the people business, classify people. Do I poke you in face with them sometimes? yeah, I do. you think you know enough, you talk strong enough like you can take it back. I was wrong on both accounts.

"classifying personalities traits", to sort out what we see here, is more reliable than denying them.

again, anytime you want to put in an actual belief to discuss it, I am in. Just understand that I get reported when you ask for evidence and I give it.

start with this ....

"how would an atheist with the personality traits that we assign to fundy theism express atheism when challenged about lack belief." How would they respond to the claim "I think there is something more."
I canntakecattacks. I just find unfounded and unwarranted accusations appear to be your MO to perhaps stop a discussion or to dismiss someone that you cannot argue with. Its a sign of weakness. And you then make wild and silly assucsatiins about other posters and hid behind your bogus evidence cannot be given claim.

I not interested in having discussion with you or anyone else who is not interested in having a civil and honest discussion. You make some good points however you seem so keen to make quick cheap points that you jump into it without reading what the other said and start waking them into some preconceived pigeon hole regardless if it's applicable or not.

Last edited by badlander; 03-20-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality