Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:46 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the notion that atheism could convince anyone of anything
is amusing.

because atheism is nothing. and has nothing.
it has no power. to do anything.
it is utterly without.
You are correct in that atheists don't have the power, instead we give the power to individuals themselves,
The power that it is acceptable to question one's faith. The power that if they questioned their religion and found it not true that they can choose to not believe. They have that power to make that decision and not be wrong or evil for not simply accepting it because their friends and family have accepted it because they too were told to accept it.

I'm glad that atheism is not about having power but of giving others power over themselves. We only need to convince people that they have the right to investigate and choose for themselves. Some will decide that their religion is nonsense and others may decide it does make sense but the important part is that individuals choose for themselves and not society pushing them in one direction.

I'm not talking about young children above. Religion already works it's powers over them.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, I definitely don't either (and as TD said, he didn't mean to imply that all of us believers hate them); rather, I love them and pray that they will someday have a saving knowledge of Jesus.

That makes me nauseous and is totally disrespectful of others.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:45 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That makes me nauseous and is totally disrespectful of others.
This post manages to denounce and display complete disrespect for others in a single sentence! Quite an accomplishment, phet.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, I definitely don't either (and as TD said, he didn't mean to imply that all of us believers hate them); rather, I love them and pray that they will someday have a saving knowledge of Jesus.

That used to bother me a lot and it sometimes does; I know I'm not a master logistician (though I do not believe that hardly anyone on this forum is), but I do come from a scientific background and have a college and post-college education. Most people I know tell me I'm quite intelligent (of course, it being an internet forum you would have no idea if I'm just making that up).

But I'm getting used to being lumped into the category of "dumb blind-faith believing idiot who swallows whole whatever her preacher says without thought". Okay, I get it. You think we're brainwashed and that the Bible is a fairy tale. I used to think that way about believers and the Bible as well. But instead of ad hominem attacks, I'd prefer a more intellectual discussion about why you think my critical thinking skills are severely debilitated (as to pointing out flaws in my thinking which I then would be glad to explain why I think that way). I imagine the likely answer will be to have such a discussion would be a waste of time with you. I've just always considered ad hominem attacks to be equivalent to saying you really have no argument to what the person said so you have to resort to character attacks (which is why I've desperately tried to make sure I never use such a method of attack; and if I ever do, I do wish someone will call me out on it).
While it's true that some atheists can be mocking and disrespectful of believers it is also true that not all believers are Christians and your prayer is for them to quit their own religion and believe in what you do. And that too is disrespectful on your part

I am probably bias in my rea dings bUT i dnot think respectful believers aRe treaten the same way as the disrespectful postern aND not all non believers are disrepectful either.

Some posters in either side aRe rude, disrespectful and perhaps even hateful. I don't see love in a poster who believes that other believers should change their own religion and start believing in yours. Claiming it is love that is the reason you pray for non Christians to believe in your Jesus as their saviour shows you consider their own religion as a pack of lies in your mind, you just say it nicer.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:07 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
While it's true that some atheists can be mocking and disrespectful of believers it is also true that not all believers are Christians and your prayer is for them to quit their own religion and believe in what you do. And that too is disrespectful on your part

I am probably bias in my rea dings bUT i dnot think respectful believers aRe treaten the same way as the disrespectful postern aND not all non believers are disrepectful either.

Some posters in either side aRe rude, disrespectful and perhaps even hateful. I don't see love in a poster who believes that other believers should change their own religion and start believing in yours. Claiming it is love that is the reason you pray for non Christians to believe in your Jesus as their saviour shows you consider their own religion as a pack of lies in your mind, you just say it nicer.
Well stated.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This post manages to denounce and display complete disrespect for others in a single sentence! Quite an accomplishment, phet.
The guy saying he is going to pray for atheists or phet?

Old 03-14-2021, 02:21 PM

Mystic, do you need someone to explain to you how an atheist sees someone saying they will pray for you looks to them or would you rather just decide all on your own that there is no legitimate complaint?

Old 03-14-2021, 02:32 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
This may sound kind of weird, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. I don't think it would be inappropriate for a Christian to pray that an atheist would change his way of thinking and become a Christian (not that I've ever done so myself), but I do find it insulting for a Christian to make a point of telling an atheist that he's going to do so.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:33 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This may sound kind of weird, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. I don't think it would be inappropriate for a Christian to pray that an atheist would change his way of thinking and become a Christian (not that I've ever done so myself), but I do find it insulting for a Christian to make a point of telling an atheist that he's going to do so.
The part I think is weird is saying that she loves them.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Both. The analogy places you as the adult and the other person as a child about to injure himself. I don't think that's a good place to start from. I also don't like when people frame their viewpoint as some ultimate truth. It looks the same way to you as it does to me. To someone of my old group, they are even more convinced of their rightness than you or I could ever manage. That is also a bad place to start. Better that we all just discuss our idea and may the best one win.
//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=59979399

That explains some of it. It also shows my conviction to the golden rule even though I'm an atheist.

When someone says they'll pray for you it implies there is something wrong with you for not being a believer. If a believer says" "I'll pray for you" how would this response go over "I'll think for you." I don't believe believers need me to think for them so I wouldn't say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality