Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 07:12 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, I am not guessing. I do have evidence. He is holding a bible quoting from it in support of slavery in a southern state that has a school named after a slaver. The southern states form the bible belt and are traditionally Southern Baptist Christian. Only Christians typically carry and quote from bibles. Atheists do not carry bibles and quote from said bibles in public places. That's the evidence. It is not proof and I do not know for a fact that he is Christian. I'm only saying that is the evidence and that the odds are he is a Christian. Sure, he could be a Muslim but then you would expect him to be carrying a quran. He could be an atheist but then you not expect him to be carrying a bible and supporting slavery.
Anybody can hold a bible and quote from it. You are grasping at straws. Atheists often quote from the bible, and may hold one to prove it. The man could be anything, and still a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 07:21 PM

50,811 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You have no evidence. You are just guessing. He can be anything including atheist.
The man is against changing the name of the school because it holds the name of a confederate soldier. Slavery is abolished in the US, nobody is supporting slavery now. We fought a war over it and the slaver states lost. There are no confederate heroes. To hang on to the confederacy over a slave owner is racist.
I dont know what kind of history you learn in Auckland, this US, US history.
There are no confederate heroes??? How much time have you spent in the American deep South? You simply don't know what you are talking about. I lived in Virginia -- the capital of the Confederacy -- for much of my life. If you don't think there is still hero worship over Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jefferson Davis, and many others, then you're just talking hot air.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:30 PM

50,811 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson, with a very large slave holding, never declared his religion. He could very well have been atheist.
No. Jefferson was quite clearly a deist.

Jefferson attended church often. He contributed funds to build churches. Of Jesus' teaching he wrote: ""the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man". "He "authored" the "Jefferson Bible". He wrote most of the Declaration Of Independence, and it was his words that: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Was he a traditional Christian for his time. No. But he called himself a christian, saying, "I am of a sect by myself".

Old 03-30-2021, 07:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are no confederate heroes??? How much time have you spent in the American deep South? You simply don't know what you are talking about. I lived in Virginia -- the capital of the Confederacy -- for much of my life. If you don't think there is still hero worship over Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jefferson Davis, and many others, then you're just talking hot air.
And of course 8f you don't live in the States you could not know about the Confederate Battle Flag being carried into the Capitol building during the insurrection, the marches on places like Charleston or wherever to protest the tearing down of states of a confederate generals or the fight to stop renaming American military bases that are named for those Rebel heroes.

Or that some still call it the War of Northern Agression. Good to know that New Zealand, likeCanada, has access to American news plus the Internet.

I suspect CB would love to be able to show that the man was an atheist so that she can then claim that we must be too,, because that wouldn't be slander as we are just atheists not decent folks.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 PM

23,154 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
True enough, you come into a peoples land conquering them, that isnt going to be forgotten in one century. The hate in both sides is going to carry on for many generation on both sides, and whoever is conquered will not forget so soon as the conquerers.

Of course Robert E Lee is still a hero in the south.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Haven't read the thread.

And this is why the top three religions, IN MY OPINION, are not only ridiculous, but harmful to the world.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The answer to your question is that many atheists quote the Bible when discussing with believers what the Bible says or doesn't say. In that context it makes sense to quote the Bible. Was this a debate about the Bible, religion or the renaming of a high school?

The topic was a man, maybe a Christian, using the Bible to justify slavery in the American past. You changed it to attempting to show how bad people using the Bible are probably not Christians but perhaps atheists because only you can use a broad brush to slam a group of people and only atheists may be slammed. If I was off topic by responding t9 your words then perhaps you wete off topic in the first place.

Statistically a man , in Florida, speaking in a public hearing and quoting the Bible is much more likely to be a Christian than an atheist regardless of what he says. Guess atheists are an insignificant portion of the population until it is convenient for them to be counted equally such as in this example.
The video clip in the OP is a 26 second clip of speaker who actually spoke for about a minute and a half. During his 90 seconds of 'fame', he basically "corrected" other speakers before him. All together, he brought up 4 points.

It appears that the reason he said, "Jesus himself never condemned slavery" was because he was rebutting other speakers before him, who appeared to use Christianity as an avenue to keep the name of high school as it is.

If anyone decides to click on the link, go to the caption "Robert E. Lee February 2...". The public starts speaking at around 10:27, and the man speaking in the OP starts his speech at around 29:30.

[vimeo]8195415[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/showcase/8195415?page=2

Old 03-30-2021, 07:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, I am not guessing. I do have evidence. He is holding a bible quoting from it in support of slavery in a southern state that has a school named after a slaver. The southern states form the bible belt and are traditionally Southern Baptist Christian. Only Christians typically carry and quote from bibles. Atheists do not carry bibles and quote from said bibles in public places. That's the evidence. It is not proof and I do not know for a fact that he is Christian. I'm only saying that is the evidence and that the odds are he is a Christian. Sure, he could be a Muslim but then you would expect him to be carrying a quran. He could be an atheist but then you not expect him to be carrying a bible and supporting slavery.
But you are looking through a normal lens, not an advaita-inspired hatred and fear of atheists lens.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:28 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
The video clip in the OP is a 26 second clip of speaker who actually spoke for about a minute and a half. During his 90 seconds of 'fame', he basically "corrected" other speakers before him. All together, he brought up 4 points.

It appears that the reason he said, "Jesus himself never condemned slavery" was because he was rebutting other speakers before him, who appeared to use Christianity as an avenue to keep the name of high school as it is.

If anyone decides to click on the link, go to the caption "Robert E. Lee February 2...". The public starts speaking at around 10:27, and the man speaking in the OP starts his speech at around 29:30.

[vimeo]8195415[/vimeo]
[vimeo]8195415[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/showcase/8195415?page=2
Thanks for the link. I didn't think its was possible for the extended version to be worse but it was.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
You have no evidence. You are just guessing. He can be anything including atheist.
The man is against changing the name of the school because it holds the name of a confederate soldier. Slavery is abolished in the US, nobody is supporting slavery now. We fought a war over it and the slaver states lost. There are no confederate heroes. To hang on to the confederacy over a slave owner is racist.
I dont know what kind of history you learn in Auckland, this US, US history.
Well, I am a Canadian snowbird, who has spent CONSIDERABLE time in Jacksonville, FL, each year for the past 10 years. I have friends there, I know the area, and if I had to lay my retirement savings down against whatever you have of equal value, that guy is not only a Christian, but I can virtually guarantee you he is a Southern Baptist type of Christian. And I am fully aware of US history.

Your deflection is a typical Trumptonian type of response. Cast irrelevant aspersions, deflections and excuses, but not address the core issue. Racism, and defense of slavery.

You really don't care that racism exists, or that slavery is one of the most horrible institution the bible supports. Show us differently, because up to now, you have not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality