Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 08:39 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Nothing in what you posted shows Normstad hating another culture. He says he can judge another culture allowing oening another human and judge that practice wrong.

I'll use a small political example if I can. As a Canadian I can judge the American culture of allowing the dealth penalty as wrong or even immoral. Having said that I do not hate the States or Americans. The Canadian Residental school program was wrong, immoral and racist but Iove my country and most things about it
I'm glad you mentioned that.
I was a school principal. I had to literally make judgements about students (and sometimes teachers and colleagues) every day as part of my job. When I had to decide to suspend a student or recommend a student for expulsion, I didn't hate the student. I simply had to set and maintain school standards and not let the school go to hell based on bad student behavior. And wise kids understood that. There were any number of times that years later I would run into a former student who would say, "Hi Mr. Victor. You suspended me once. But I deserved it".

Making judgements does not equal hate, although making judgements can be used in that way by irresponsible people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 08:44 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Nothing in what you posted shows Normstad hating another culture. He says he can judge another culture allowing oening another human and judge that practice wrong.

I'll use a small political example if I can. As a Canadian I can judge the American culture of allowing the dealth penalty as wrong or even immoral. Having said that I do not hate the States or Americans. The Canadian Residental school program was wrong, immoral and racist but Iove my country and most things about it
To me, "who cares about another culture" means "to hell with it"; meaning it's worthless and of no value.

I took normstad's quote as meaning that if a culture practiced slavery, then it's worthless and of no value. I don't know if that's "hate" or not, but it sure is ignorant.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I was referring only to discussing definitions of slavery. Sorry if I was not clear on my meaning . Even within this thread i will not discusd what slavery means.
I was just messing with you.

If you want to discuss slavery without making any effort to define it, then good luck having a productive discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 09:15 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I was just messing with you.

If you want to discuss slavery without making any effort to define it, then good luck having a productive discussion
So far, it appears that you are the only member that needs to define slavery. Everybody else seems to know what it is.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
So far, it appears that you are the only member that needs to define slavery. Everybody else seems to know what it is.
He's knows what we're talking about. He just thinks that he can dilute the conversation that isn't looking good for religion.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Everybody here has an idea of "slavery" in their head that has been fed to them through popular culture and government schooling in an America-centric context. The reality of "slavery" going from ancient history to today is much more nuanced and broader than anyone is seemingly willing to admit.

Slavery has always existed. It has never been abolished. Certain forms of slavery have been outlawed by various governments throughout history.

Slavery takes different forms through history and has its own forms that are widely practiced today.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He's knows what we're talking about. He just thinks that he can dilute the conversation that isn't looking good for religion.
I don't care to make religion "look good". That's never been my aim.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:34 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So, now, with that ignorant blowhole spew, you insult & mock most of the people who have ever lived over the last few thousand years, and the thousands that have posted to the Prayer Thread.
You also do not believe in miracles, and tell everyone the Bible is allegorical. So you also insult & mock most of the people who have ever lived over the last few thousand years, and the thousands that have posted to the Prayer Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That you lack the ability to perceive God that the vast majority possess, is most unfortunate. Which is why you lack understanding about it.
As their god is not your god, are you admitting YOU can NOT perceive their god, or that you CAN and are no longer a Pantheist?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Everybody here has an idea of "slavery" in their head that has been fed to them through popular culture and government schooling in an America-centric context. The reality of "slavery" going from ancient history to today is much more nuanced and broader than anyone is seemingly willing to admit.

Slavery has always existed. It has never been abolished. Certain forms of slavery have been outlawed by various governments throughout history.

Slavery takes different forms through history and has its own forms that are widely practiced today.
It's called history. And considering where you live, some of your comments are not particularly surprising.

I suggest that you sell your wife and daughters into slavery since you think it's such a great thing.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's called history. And considering where you live, some of your comments are not particularly surprising.

I suggest that you sell your wife and daughters into slavery since you think it's such a great thing.
You have just proven my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality