Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 10:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You also do not believe in miracles, and tell everyone the Bible is allegorical. So you also insult & mock most of the people who have ever lived over the last few thousand years, and the thousands that have posted to the Prayer Thread.

As their god is not your god, are you admitting YOU can NOT perceive their god, or that you CAN and are no longer a Pantheist?
Miracle" is a subjective term.
If one directs Positive Conscious*Energy, it could be of benefit...thus "The Power of Prayer".
Any and every God, even the concept of God, is part of what comprises ALL (God).
Thus, what I perceive as God to me: Any God Entity, any concepts of God, and anything & everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 11:12 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You have just proven my point.
I wasn't aware that you had one other than excusing religion for its past history.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:23 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
You have just proven my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wasn't aware that you had one other than excusing religion for its past history.
I'm not the least bit surprised that it went right over your head.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not the least bit surprised that it went right over your head.
Slavery is wrong. Period.
You wouldn't want if for yourself.
You wouldn't want it for your family members.
That's the very simple principle of The Golden Rule. Perhaps Alabama schools never taught that principle. Alabama lived slavery.

Btw, remember even the Southern Baptist church apologized for its historical position on slavery.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Slavery is wrong. Period.
You wouldn't want if for yourself.
You wouldn't want it for your family members.
That's the very simple principle of The Golden Rule.
Certain forms of slavery exist today that for some reason you refuse to acknowledge as being slavery. You prefer to label them as something else.

Perhaps it's because you condone those forms of slavery, but don't want to lose your street cred with the cool crowd by using the word?

Therefore, you seem to limit the definition of "slavery" to something very narrow and specific.

I refuse to view the phenomenon of slavery so narrowly. I'd rather call a spade a spade.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Certain forms of slavery exist today that for some reason you refuse to acknowledge as being slavery. You prefer to label them as something else.

Perhaps it's because you condone those forms of slavery, but don't want to lose your street cred with the cool crowd by using the word?

Therefore, you seem to limit the definition of "slavery" to something very narrow and specific.

I refuse to view the phenomenon of slavery so narrowly. I'd rather call a spade a spade.
Stop trying to make excuses for slavery.
As one of our moderators also pointed out to you, you know specially what we are talking about in this thread.
Stop trying to dilute the issue.

The "cool crowd". Yeah, at 72 I'm really into the "cool crowd".
Perhaps you mean the "moral crowd".

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-15-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 01:02 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:

What is there about owning another person that you find acceptable?

Old 02-15-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What is there about owning another person that you find acceptable?
An individual "owning" another individual as property is a form of slavery that is generally called "chattel slavery". I don't find that practice acceptable and have no idea why you think I would.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:31 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
An individual "owning" another individual as property is a form of slavery that is generally called "chattel slavery". I don't find that practice acceptable and have no idea why you think I would.
Slavery is one person owning another. I can only guess why you are trying to muddy the water with anything else.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Slavery is one person owning another. I can only guess why you are trying to muddy the water with anything else.
I thought my reason was obvious from my entry post into this thread.

I find the hypocritical, self-righteous moralizing of the modern day Puritans to be quite entertaining, and I thought it might be amusing to call it out.

Diogenes knows what I'm talking about

I've had a bit of fun in this thread, so I have no regrets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality