Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 08:25 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

Slavery can be a good thing. That's why the Bible tell me over and over, that I am a slave of Jesus Christ. This is what I believe, and this is the truth. This is the doctrine which is according to godliness (1 Tim 6:1-3). At the same time, slavery is also treated as clearly a bad thing in the Bible, as well. Think about the Jews in Egypt. It depends on the context. Being a slave of men (i.e., a slave of corruption) is undesirable. Being a slave of God is good. Because I am not my own. I was bought with a price. It is not in my power to separate myself from God, as I am kept by the power of God. All my sins are forgiven; I am sealed, and I have no power (nor do I want it) to separate myself from the love of God, now or forever. The picture of the redeemed man in Christ is a picture of slavery. If it were not so, then no one could ever have assurance of salvation. I will never back down from this doctrine. It is in the Bible for a reason. God didn't make a mistake in putting so much about slavery in the Bible. It's not antiquated at all. It's an essential part of the New Covenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 08:27 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
The book of John is clear that Jesus does not approve of slavery:

https://leadfromamong.com/2021/03/19...ndone-slavery/

The first petition to abolish slavery in America came from devout Christians.

https://religioninamerica.org/rahp_o...olish-slavery/

Old 02-15-2022, 08:55 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Slavery can be a good thing. That's why the Bible tell me over and over, that I am a slave of Jesus Christ. This is what I believe, and this is the truth. This is the doctrine which is according to godliness (1 Tim 6:1-3). At the same time, slavery is also treated as clearly a bad thing in the Bible, as well. Think about the Jews in Egypt. It depends on the context. Being a slave of men (i.e., a slave of corruption) is undesirable. Being a slave of God is good. Because I am not my own. I was bought with a price. It is not in my power to separate myself from God, as I am kept by the power of God. All my sins are forgiven; I am sealed, and I have no power (nor do I want it) to separate myself from the love of God, now or forever. The picture of the redeemed man in Christ is a picture of slavery. If it were not so, then no one could ever have assurance of salvation. I will never back down from this doctrine. It is in the Bible for a reason. God didn't make a mistake in putting so much about slavery in the Bible. It's not antiquated at all. It's an essential part of the New Covenant.
If it's such a bad thing...even for god's chosen people...why didn't he do something about it?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

And some christian denominations supported slavery, particularly in the south. Why do you think the Southern Baptists eventually apologized for it?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:26 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So that's your opinion. Good on you. I also believe slavery to be wrong. Why? Because it's sinful. God has said it's bad. But you? You have no reason to declare that anyone else can't practice it other than your opinion.
Please tell me chapter and verse where your god said slavery is bad? I can't find it.

Seriously, I find all sorts of pro-slavery passages in the OT AND the NT, but nothing that says anyone is opposed to it. Please educate me, if you can.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:

The article first of all does not tell the complete truth. It only talks about Hebrew slaves, not those from other tribes. It is not being genuine for doing so.

It also clearly states that Jesus never stated that he was against slavery, doesn't it? Because.... Jesus never did say anything against it. Anywhere.

The BS deflection that "slave" is the same as "employee" is being dishonest, and I suspect you know it is. It is justification, that is all it is. How disingenuous to do that!

Jesus, does however, show approval of slavery. In the parable in Luke 12:46-47 he tells of how a slave is to be beaten, depending whether the slave knew they were doing wrong or not. Similarly, Ephesians 6:5, Colossians 3:22, . Titus 2:9-10 and 1 Peter 2:18 all condone slavery and command slaves how they should act towards their owners.

I found the article very much like many apologists who want to deny the reality of what the bible says.

Signed,

Your local friendly Atheist.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 PM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If it's such a bad thing...even for god's chosen people...why didn't he do something about it?
You could say that about anything.

Humans are going to behave in all kinds of ways. How can you not see God putting regulations on slavery in the Mosaic law as being by and large a good thing given the historical context? You seem completely ignorant as to the alternative.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You could say that about anything.

Humans are going to behave in all kinds of ways. How can you not see God putting regulations on slavery in the Mosaic law as being by and large a good thing given the historical context? You seem completely ignorant as to the alternative.
Why give just regulations?
Why not just say it's wrong?

Is it because he's NOT all powerful and NOT all-loving?

Old 02-16-2022, 02:14 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:

Nowhere in your link does Jesus condemn slavery, even the passages mentioned must be twisted to get that reading. And in the other gospels, Jesus says follow the OT (or most of the OT) to the letter, and the OT supports slavery.

As for δοῦλος meaning employee, no, it usually means slave.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:18 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So that's your opinion. Good on you. I also believe slavery to be wrong. Why? Because it's sinful. God has said it's bad. But you? You have no reason to declare that anyone else can't practice it other than your opinion.
We have explained this to you before, yes, we do have valid reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality