Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 09:34 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What you ought to expect from me is deep thought, questioning of convention, and precision in verbiage.
Why should we expect that from you?

Old 02-17-2022, 09:42 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Fine. Keep the discussion facile, one-dimensional, and ignorant.
Are you actually claiming that God couldn't have told Moses that slavery was immoral?

Are you saying that God's instructions to Moses about slavery weren't inspired by God?

What's the deal here.

God can do anything. According to Christians he is all powerful.

So God could tell Moses how to make a square circle if he wanted to.

I know this because God can make rocks so big he can't lift them and of course he can lift any rock he makes...

So what's so tough about a square circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 09:43 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
What you ought to expect from me is deep thought, questioning of convention, and precision in verbiage.
I have learned to expect that your choice in language is designed to excuse the failings of your religion. I don't see the deep thought beyond that. What I see is the language of white privilege.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Are you actually claiming that God couldn't have told Moses that slavery was immoral?

Are you saying that God's instructions to Moses about slavery weren't inspired by God?

What's the deal here.

I know this because God can make rocks so big he can't lift them and of course he can lift any rock he makes...

I guess god should have written it on a stone tablet and given it Moses. Oh wait, we've never seen those stone tablets, have we?

Old 02-17-2022, 10:02 AM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
That's dependent on whether or not "slavery" in whatever sense it is defined actually is immoral.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Being "all-powerful" and having the ability to "do anything" are not necessarily the same thing, depending on what is meant by "anything".

Quote:

No, that's not how it works. God is rational and does not operate contrary to right reason.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have learned to expect that your choice in language is designed to excuse the failings of your religion. I don't see the deep thought beyond that.
This is easily attributable to your inability to comprehend depth of thought.

Quote:
What I see is the language of white privilege.
I don't identify as "white", and quite frankly I'm surprised you would make such an assumption.

Shattered expectations

Old 02-17-2022, 10:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
It's not ontologically possible to own another human being as property?

Have you forgotten the history of the state you live? Have you forgotten that in YOUR state slavery was legal and allowed people to own other people? Do you realize that 45% of the population of Alabama when the Civil War began were owned as slaves?
Quote:
I have learned to expect that your choice in language is designed to excuse the failings of your religion. I don't see the deep thought beyond that. What I see is the language of white privilege.
The truth is that, that was a time when slavery was a generally accepted way of life in many cultures...and it's not as if 2 out of 3 of the citizens of Alabama had ever owned slaves. And there were those that were active in opposition to slavery.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
This is easily attributable to your inability to comprehend depth of thought.

I don't identify as "white", and quite frankly I'm surprised you would make such an assumption.

Shattered expectations

Perhaps you are the first Black person I have ever heard defending slavery.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:05 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
TBeing "all-powerful" and having the ability to "do anything" are not necessarily the same thing, depending on what is meant by "anything".

No, that's not how it works. God is rational and does not operate contrary to right reason.
And here we see the problem where all powerful suddenly means most powerful, before becoming all powerful again.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:17 AM

1,752 posts, read 754,475 times
Quote:
And some christian denominations supported slavery, particularly in the south. Why do you think the Southern Baptists eventually apologized for it?
Because some people do the wrong thing and look to absolve themselves of the blame for years and years.

As you know I grew up on the Maryland-Pennsylvania border. My meeting house had a long history and had been a part of the underground railroad, which helped slaves escape.

It was taught to us that various bible passages led Friends to believe that slavery was wrong.

Unfortunately some didn't do this, or wanted excuses to continue their bad behavior, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The article first of all does not tell the complete truth. It only talks about Hebrew slaves, not those from other tribes. It is not being genuine for doing so.

It also clearly states that Jesus never stated that he was against slavery, doesn't it? Because.... Jesus never did say anything against it. Anywhere.

The BS deflection that "slave" is the same as "employee" is being dishonest, and I suspect you know it is. It is justification, that is all it is. How disingenuous to do that!

Jesus, does however, show approval of slavery. In the parable in Luke 12:46-47 he tells of how a slave is to be beaten, depending whether the slave knew they were doing wrong or not. Similarly, Ephesians 6:5, Colossians 3:22, . Titus 2:9-10 and 1 Peter 2:18 all condone slavery and command slaves how they should act towards their owners.

I found the article very much like many apologists who want to deny the reality of what the bible says.

Signed,

Your local friendly Atheist.

So you think I am wrong, I posted a link to my beliefs, and instead of posting your own link you accuse me of "BS"ing, being "dishonest," and "disingenuous"....really "knowing" what is the right interpretation, which obviously is your way....

Except, I was being 100% honest in that post. I guess I am just as stupid as a box of rocks.

Since you are so friendly, you self-advertise it, perhaps you could look at our past posting history that had always been nice and look deep into your friendly heart to forgive me of being so stupid that it appeared dishonest to you. I am obviously an idiot of high dimensions to be that stupid to appear so stupid to be dishonest.

Please forgive me, oh friendly one.

Signed,

Your far off unintelligent Quaker girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality