Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 01:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
By saturated, you naturally mean not saturated.

And how do you know these slave owners did not use the Bible to justify slavery?

We are haters because we point out the Bible DOES condone slavery, which is a problem for the claim of objective morality?

But I forgot. Any religious person can point that out, but if an atheist notes this fact, they are bashing, mocking, hating, usw.
The Bible says all are sinful...suffering is a good thing...love & bless your enemies and those that persecute you...and you are not to lean on your own understanding & just defer to God.
So...what the Bible says about slavery (or anything else) is not to be critiqued or questioned using "your own understanding".
You must have forgotten that part. So, stop that...The Bible said so. I mean...since you are going by what The Bible says literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 04:51 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Default ^illogical mantra above

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, Gldn is trying to highlight the primary difference between you and EscalaMike. Mike is thinking about playing a role in slavery as doing what Gldn is alleging. In other words, he is focused on the primary motivation for the EXISTENCE of slavery. You are focused on the active SUPPORT of slavery as an institution. That is why you see the role of the SBC differently. Mike believes slavery existed for reasons completely unrelated to the Bible or religion. I hope this clears up the confusion.
No, it was clearly an attack on atheists for responding to various Christian claims about morality (such as the Bible as a source for morality, or objective morality coming from a god). The fact that slavery is endorsed in the OT is a problem for those Christian claims.

And if the king of hyperbole wants atheists to stop mentioning the fact that slavery is endorsed in the OT, then perhaps he should respond to those Christians guilty of using those arguments.

But the drama king is not interested in a honest discussion, that is why he lies about atheists starting the argument.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 03-26-2022 at 05:01 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 04:55 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Bible says all are sinful...suffering is a good thing...love & bless your enemies and those that persecute you...and you are not to lean on your own understanding & just defer to God.
So...what the Bible says about slavery (or anything else) is not to be critiqued or questioned using "your own understanding".
You must have forgotten that part. So, stop that...The Bible said so. I mean...since you are going by what The Bible says literally.
What does "lean not on your own understanding" mean anyway? In the world I grew up in it meant to listen to what the Watchtower said to do even if it " didn't seem practical from a worldly standpoint". They used that scripture to control people tho so I was wondering how someone else would interpret that.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:19 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
No, it was clearly an attack on atheists for responding to various Christian claims about morality (such as the Bible as a source for morality, or objective morality coming from a god). The fact that slavery is endorsed in the OT is a problem for those Christian claims.

And if the king of hyperbole wants atheists to stop mentioning the fact that slavery is endorsed in the OT, then perhaps he should respond to those Christians guilty of using those arguments.

But the drama king is not interested in a honest discussion, that is why he lies about atheists starting the argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What does "lean not on your own understanding" mean anyway? In the world I grew up in it meant to listen to what the Watchtower said to do even if it " didn't seem practical from a worldly standpoint". They used that scripture to control people tho so I was wondering how someone else would interpret that.
The Bible is a metaphorical and allegorical work of literary art.
But...for those that take it literally, or seek to bash those that take it literally, and rather than just explain the representative nature of it and use "Devils Advocate" type arguments...they cannot just use the parts of the Bible that mention things that instigate "Problem of Evil/Suffering issues...they must also accept the parts that explain and cover all that.
Any argument against the Bible based upon a literal interpretation is a loser from the get-go. The Bible covers itself and the Deity in every way possible.

A literal interpretation of the Bible tells you that you should forgive and even bless all who commit evil against you. Any evil...which would necessarily include enslavement:
Matthew 5:38-48

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The Bible says not to use your own understanding to assess and critique anything...just defer to God:
Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

The Bible explains that God is a Omnimax Powered Entity that knows everything and can do anything, and has thoughts and ways that are above ours:
Isaiah 55:8-9

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Also, that suffering is a good thing...a "fruit of the Spirit", right there with love, joy, and peace:
Galatians 5:22-26

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

So...there ya go...fully explained how it's all cool. According to a literal Bible interpretation.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
By saturated, you naturally mean not saturated.

And how do you know these slave owners did not use the Bible to justify slavery?

We are haters because we point out the Bible DOES condone slavery, which is a problem for the claim of objective morality?

But I forgot. Any religious person can point that out, but if an atheist notes this fact, they are bashing, mocking, hating, usw.
Your German is showing through

(it means etc. for the English speaking people)

Old 03-27-2022, 07:33 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Your German is showing through

(it means etc. for the English speaking people)
So which is it? Mistake or intentional dishonesty?

Old 03-27-2022, 08:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What would be dishonest about a Gernan speaking poster using a German abreviation? Please explain?

Old 03-27-2022, 09:19 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Early morning lack of coffee after a long night and less sleep than normal, while watching a security report scrolling in the background.

Please forgive a German for writing in error something in his native language.

But why ask someone else why I made an error?

Old 03-27-2022, 11:03 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? Are you disparaging a poster on here? How very Christian of you! Not unexpected though, sadly.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Are you disparaging a poster on here? How very Christian of you! Not unexpected though, sadly.
I'm asking if you're still holding to the claim that the guy in the video is a Christian. He never identifies as one and he openly mocks it. You have either made a mistake or you're dishonest. Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality