Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
mystic asked about the logic and the definitions.
those are not unknown.
they are known. they are simple, basic. and known.

preschoolers learning their numbers get a taste of this. numbers and counting may "start" at 0 or 1. and numbers go higher and higher without end, because +1 can always be added on to the highest number. however very soon the still young child is shown negative numbers, -1, -2, -3 etc. they go on forever in the other direction.

it is not any more complicated than that.
Its real simple. To us, something could seem infinite and not be.

Why some believers stake everything they have on unknows, errr, wait a min, forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 02:32 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its real simple. To us, something could seem infinite and not be.
Why some believers stake everything they have on unknows, errr, wait a min, forget that.
definitions and logic
are not belief

what mystic asked has nothing to do with belief.
the posts i made have nothing to do with belief.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:09 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Are those saying something, anything is infinite, saying that because they read it and then believe it?
Wouldn't you have to experience this infinity or this infinite thing in it's infinitude to
say that it is infinite?
Understand my belief is that the Creator is infinite. But, that's all ...that it is my belief.

Could you be saying this because from your point of view all that is finite changes
and has an end...while you think that the Creator does not?
But how would you know this?

Just curious, don't get mad at me!
From the OP:

Quote:
One thing about being as ancient as the Vedic scriptures are is that every possible doubt has been raised by the thinkers themselves and have also been resolved through logical and systematic reasoning.
The logic used in Vedanta is not the same as Aristotelian logic. It has its own methods and steps and is systematic.
The most often method used is like peeling an onion - peel off all that it is not and what remains is the truth. And that is what is in the OP.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:09 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above,
no, it can not.
if it has a beginning, then it also has an end. and it is not infinite. it is finite.
if it has no end, then it also has no beginning.

that is simple understanding of basic definitions. and it is simple logic.
if you don't understand it (which it appears you don't) then that's OK.

nothing to do with "beliefs" or "views" or "opinions" or "misjudging." everything to do with understanding a concept, how a word is defined, and basic logic.
I think Arach has a point there. For example, let's take your birth. That's a beginning but the fact of your birth will continue for all eternity. But this led me to think of something - eternal life, the promise of some religions. You know the one; "Believe in me and I will give you eternal life".

Also, I'm not sure that infinity necessarily runs in both directions. Numerically, infinity begins at zero (unlike eternity). You cannot go smaller than zero. But then what about negative numbers? The numbers themselves can go on forever. Remember that the number -10 is bigger that -1.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I think Arach has a point there. For example, let's take your birth. That's a beginning but the fact of your birth will continue for all eternity. But this led me to think of something - eternal life, the promise of some religions. You know the one; "Believe in me and I will give you eternal life".

Also, I'm not sure that infinity necessarily runs in both directions. Numerically, infinity begins at zero (unlike eternity). You cannot go smaller than zero. But then what about negative numbers? The numbers themselves can go on forever. Remember that the number -10 is bigger that -1.
The bolded. What do you mean by the FACT of your birth? What is birthed dies. The birthed is not eternal.
As for negative numbers and infinity I thought that was resolved and you have just answered it again. Brahman transcends time and space.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The bolded. What do you mean by the FACT of your birth? What is birthed dies. The birthed is not eternal.
As for negative numbers and infinity I thought that was resolved and you have just answered it again. Brahman transcends time and space.
The fact that you were born doesn't become non-fact after you die. It becomes history and will be history for an eternity (although no-one will remember it).

I wasn't referring to transcending space and time, only to the comment that infinity goes in both directions into the negative numbers.

I don't know what to make of the concept of transcending space and time. Would you care to tackle that one?

There is one thought or question I have and that is what happens to 'eternity' when space and time no longer exists, as was the case in the pre-big bang? Perhaps one could consider that condition as transcending space and time although I strongly suspect that is not what is being meant.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The fact that you were born doesn't become non-fact after you die. It becomes history and will be history for an eternity (although no-one will remember it).

I wasn't referring to transcending space and time, only to the comment that infinity goes in both directions into the negative numbers.

I don't know what to make of the concept of transcending space and time. Would you care to tackle that one?

There is one thought or question I have and that is what happens to 'eternity' when space and time no longer exists, as was the case in the pre-big bang? Perhaps one could consider that condition as transcending space and time although I strongly suspect that is not what is being meant.
Brhman exists always, it pre-exists Big Bang, it IS space and time and also transcends it. Big Bang could have been a ripple that caused the world to become sentient and it can also devolve and resolve back into the Brhman and a new world can become sentient in a cycle into eternity.

What exactly is a non-fact? The only thing that exists is Brhman. All individual life forms are the same Brhman and as humans, we also posses the awareness of this Consciousness. Yet we are conditioned by our body and mind and intellect with which we falsely identify as our real self.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Brhman exists always, it pre-exists Big Bang, it IS space and time and also transcends it. Big Bang could have been a ripple that caused the world to become sentient and it can also devolve and resolve back into the Brhman and a new world can become sentient in a cycle into eternity.

What exactly is a non-fact? The only thing that exists is Brhman. All individual life forms are the same Brhman and as humans, we also posses the awareness of this Consciousness. Yet we are conditioned by our body and mind and intellect with which we falsely identify as our real self.
why? why couldn't it have started at the big bang?

Old 03-29-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:

bold above:
transcending space = without physical form. it does not occupy any physical space.
transcending time = not affected by time. exists outside of time and is not affected by it. changeless. timeless.

change is a function of time. if something transcends time, it is outside of time and does not change over time.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-29-2021 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
why? why couldn't it have started at the big bang?
because no beginning no end = there is no "start"
= always was, always will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality