Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 04:17 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK, I hope no one is offended by this as its meant as a honest question. Often I see folks talking about how bad people behave who dont believe in God because they should fear his wrath justice etc. aka "you should fear the wrath of god" sort of things.

But...isn't it more about kindness and about a loving god? Why do people choose to make folks fear him, instead of understanding that love is a better motivator long term. Fear? People get over when nothing happens immediately. Love? Love can go forever.

Why do so many ministers etc focus on the fear side?
To some extent I do agree with you.

However, there are various factors here.

First, what religion you are talking about?

Second, which is more of a philosophical thought, "different people have different triggers".

Some folks go for carrots, others for sticks. And some need a mix of both. There are various shades of gray spread across human race and human psychology.

Not every one will be attracted by the carrots only, and not everyone will be straightened out by the stick.

So religion has both facets.

To put it in a more meaningful terms... I thinks it's the "warning" vs "hope". (You may call it "wrath" vs "love".)

There is usually no "wrath" of God at the spot. Religious guidance only gives a warning. It's then up to the individual, as how he chooses to act?

And it's usually "hope", and no instant reward at the spot by God, given to person for avoiding what's bad and trying to do what's good.

So,

If we talk about Christianity and Judaism then it seems like there is no, so to speak, Judgment leading to "wrath" " for the Jews and for the Christians as long as they believe in their faith. i.e. Jews just be Jews, and Christians to believe that Jesus is their savior.

So why would a Christian use the word "wrath of God" against anyone? Perhaps when he sees a non-Christian and warns him about the consequences of his bad actions?
I don't see how a Christian can use the "wrath of God" against another fellow Christians? Both are technically guaranteed a spot in heaven for believing Jesus to be their savior. As we know, Modern day Christianity is primarily based on "faith" and not necessarily "works".

Not sure, how the "wrath of God" will be used among Jews?
There is no concept of hell for Jews in the Jewish doctrine, from the little I know.
Some Jews who may do bad and evil things to others, may have to spend a few days in some sorta cosmic quarantine, and then they will be send to paradise. Please correct me if I am wrong as my knowledge is very limited.

However, in the Islamic faith, the game is played a bit differently, and I would say, more fairly.

Just because you are a Muslim, doesn't give you a carte blanche.

Your faith must be supported by a genuine and continuous effort good works, and avoidance from bad and evil works.

There is a nice long cosmic stick for Muslims who do evil things and injustice to others, and there is hope and glad tidings to those who try to avoid what's evil and try to do what's good.

So there is warning and hope, well in place.

In the Islamic theology, your ACTIONS determine where you want to call the wrath or love.
Religious guidance only gives you "warning" and "hope".

And where I do agree with you is that, within the Islamic world, I sometimes see that there is a lot of stress of "Warning" and "Wraths" rather than "Hope and Love".

I have approached and argued with many scholars and speakers who I found doing this.
Personally, I believe that we should give people more hope rather than the stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 04:19 PM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
A loving God does not burn for eternity all those billions of people who had a different opinion. Christians threaten you with that though if their efforts to "convert" you begin failing. "God loves you but will set you on fire for eternity if you refuse to agree with me and my interpretation". The sickest part about this is that most so called Christians would be fine with going on about whatever they think heaven is while so many were burning in hell. Maybe even take a trip to the lake to see the festivities?

If you disagree with the whack jobs, then you might cause them to doubt their own beliefs.

The God I believe in loves everyone and forgives them weather they like it or not because he created us and humans are flawed creatures who regularly make errors.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:47 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm not familiar with that hymn. But I know that Paul wrote in Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." I don't believe Paul was asking to be crucified.

It's not that I "admire" it to the point that I want to be actually crucified. But it is what he did that demonstrates his love, his holiness, and it atones for our sin.
That's what I thought. All talk.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's that holy, that he put himself on the cross. Jesus is God.
Meh, a three day bad weekend. What kind of sacrifice is that?

Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
If it was three. More like a couple.

Then he zoomed up to sit at the right hand of himself forever and ever.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:37 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Carrot and stick.

Cla$$ic business strategy. Has filled pew$ for centuries.

$care 'em, then $ave 'em.
Yes, I have offered this explantion several times. The stick of hell and the carrot of that all-appealing eternity in bliss, aka heaven.

Cowardice and lust are the main drivers. Classic con job from Cons and Con Men 101.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK, I hope no one is offended by this as its meant as a honest question. Often I see folks talking about how bad people behave who dont believe in God because they should fear his wrath justice etc. aka "you should fear the wrath of god" sort of things.

But...isn't it more about kindness and about a loving god? Why do people choose to make folks fear him, instead of understanding that love is a better motivator long term. Fear? People get over when nothing happens immediately. Love? Love can go forever.

Why do so many ministers etc focus on the fear side?
bible is book o consciousness, God is in a process of changing Cain type of consciousness to Christ type.

murder based to agape based. Cain type requires fear to be effective. an eye for an an eye...

Old 03-31-2021, 08:55 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
It is noble hope but, even if the church forefather was a cold blood killer....

Old 03-31-2021, 08:57 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Huh? Three days in the grave (Acts 2:27) is Not what Jesus' sacrifice was about.
Remember this: unlike us, Jesus could have walked away at any time from being executed.
Remember also: Satan challenged Job at Job 2:4-5 and by way of extension it includes us.
'Touch our 'flesh....' ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:52 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Huh? Three days in the grave (Acts 2:27) is Not what Jesus' sacrifice was about.
Remember this: unlike us, Jesus could have walked away at any time from being executed.
Remember also: Satan challenged Job at Job 2:4-5 and by way of extension it includes us.
'Touch our 'flesh....' ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.
Yup, a three day bad weekend, as man. As a god, meh, it was all part of the magic show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality