Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:51 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is a bit of a lame thing to hold on to this creator god bit when there are many religions that do not have a creator god as central to their belief. I think even Christianity has move somewhat away from it, although I am not sure, i have not followed it so closely, may some still do.
But nobody holds on to that creator god story as some atheists whose very life seems to depend on it. What will happen if they give up that theory?
Actually, it's the very cornerstone of Christian belief.

I have asked why Christians can't just let go of the creator bit and simply go with the personal God concept. Apparently, it all hinges on God being the almighty creator who can do anything he wants and he knows all things and is everywhere. Well, everywhere except where one looks for him.

But you are right in that not all religions or spiritual belief systems have a creator god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 02:27 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
It is a bit of a lame thing to hold on to this creator god bit when there are many religions that do not have a creator god as central to their belief. I think even Christianity has move somewhat away from it, although I am not sure, i have not followed it so closely, may some still do.
But nobody holds on to that creator god story as some atheists whose very life seems to depend on it. What will happen if they give up that theory?
We will still have many other arguments you seem unaware of.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:14 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
If you paid attention to what the members say here, you would see that it is the Christians (particularly the literal Bible believers) who insist that the Creator is central to their beliefs.

As a general rule, the atheists (and non-literal Christians) believe science, and know the earth is >4 billion years old and the universe is >13 billion.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:17 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you paid attention to what the members say here, you would see that it is the Christians (particularly the literal Bible believers) who insist that the Creator is central to their beliefs.

As a general rule, the atheists (and non-literal Christians) believe science, and know the earth is >4 billion years old and the universe is >13 billion.
The forum lends itself to clique mentality. It is not a reflection of real life.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The forum lends itself to clique mentality. It is not a reflection of real life.
Why are you arguing against a clique?

Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why are you arguing against a clique?
I am not. I am gleaning from those who have traveled the globe, lived in diverse places and/or have knowledge about world religions/spirituality. Every now and again, someone will drop some very valuable insight about concepts that are relatively obscure.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:51 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
I am not. I am gleaning from those who have traveled the globe, lived in diverse places and/or have knowledge about world religions/spirituality.
But you said

Quote:

Old 04-14-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
But you said
Okay, since you are evidently not interested in R/S, let's argue and poke each other with sticks.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I guess I am, in a way, a believer man.

I believe we are part of a living system. How would be being in a living system cause people to react in such a way that they believe we are in a larger more complex life form. Is that belief consistent with observation.

Since we covered a deity pretty good, lets move onto some other spiritual beliefs. My question is why would people believe we are not in a living system since the evidence seems to match alive more than not alive. Why do people believe things that counter observations. So just using the traits of life in any basic bio book. Why "Mr. Believer man" would believe we are not in a more complex system.

What evidence does mr. believer man have to suggest we are not in a more complex system. Why would I believe that all spiritual claims are not reliable when the data suggest that not all of them are.

when is "Mr Believing man" in some thing actually more reliable than "Mr believing man" in no claims what so ever and is there a way we can tell.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

I am glad you have noted that science is also just a belief. We are all believermenandwomen. Which is fine. We believe what works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality