Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:48 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times

Advertisements

The Creator God is as responsible for covid as much as It is responsible for LSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 04:11 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The Creator God is as responsible for covid as much as It is responsible for LSD.
Christians seem to want to credit god with all the good things. When it comes to all the bad things...I guess that was some other god over in the next county.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Oral Torah is not needed to respond to the OP. The OP entirely skipped over the attempted extermination of the Israelites in order to state that the Israelites did what they did without cause. If we move to modern times, this is the same as saying the Israeli's pounded the Gaza Strip w/o reason with 100's of rockets leaving out the context that that Palestinians fired 150+ rockets into Israel the day before at civilians not caring who they killed. Without the context that covers the situation from the beginning, it makes the Israeli's look cruel for no reason.
You always right, thanks.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Christians seem to want to credit god with all the good things. When it comes to all the bad things...I guess that was some other god over in the next county.
God simply "is".
Morals are subjective. The best you can do is some consensus among other like-minded.
Of course...Christians and other Abrahamic Religion adherents have their Books & writings, that they believe were inspired by the Creator, and lays out a "moral code" to go by. This is a very, very common view.
I may not believe that...but those Books/writings are no better or worse a moral metric than any other basis for morality, or deciding good from bad, and right from wrong.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naqual View Post
4 Mose 31, 14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle. 15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? 16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. 18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

So Moses and his soldiers had won a battle and he ordered to kill prisoners. And not only that. Men, who had killed their parents, shall take the virgins for themselves. Wow. That's cruel.
clear psy-op how for certain bicameral minds to cure that state, another good example is Josef in Egypt story.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
God simply "is".
Morals are subjective. The best you can do is some consensus among other like-minded.
Of course...Christians and other Abrahamic Religion adherents have their Books & writings, that they believe were inspired by the Creator, and lays out a "moral code" to go by. This is a very, very common view.
I may not believe that...but those Books/writings are no better or worse a moral metric than any other basis for morality, or deciding good from bad, and right from wrong.
Oh, of course. The majority likes the concept of a consensus.

But at least I like the bolded part of your post.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:57 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Skipped right over the part where the Midianites were allied with the Moabites in the attempt to exterminate the Israelites. Thus Moses was ordered by God to punish the Midianites.

Great at cherry picking verses and taking them out of context.

https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/a...and-midianites
Missing the point.

Quote:
If you're trying to cover modern times, then you've just rolled out of "Religion and Spirituality" into "Politics and Other Controversies" as you should be reading about ISIS and it's relationship to the Yazidis.
Why, the post is comparing moral standards between then and now? The religion is irrelevant.

Quote:
The Oral Torah is not needed to respond to the OP. The OP entirely skipped over the attempted extermination of the Israelites in order to state that the Israelites did what they did without cause.
No one mentioned cause. You are reading something into the OP that is not there.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:00 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
God simply "is".
One could ask why we are moral, and then follow that position to it's logical end. You may not like the answers, it means some people will need to pay more tax.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:38 AM

99 posts, read 34,128 times
Quote:
If you're trying to cover modern times, then you've just rolled out of "Religion and Spirituality" into "Politics and Other Controversies" as you should be reading about ISIS and it's relationship to the Yazidis.
To look at modern times: you won't take just the criminials (like ISIS) to have the right view.

I mentionend the cruel orders of Moses, who is acting as a man of God.

The difference is between the moral imagination of God and the way we distinquish good and evil today. Today in most societies (at least in the western hemipshere).

So there is an inner conflict: there a cruel God, often said he is a God of Love of compassion, and Me. I feel and think really quite differently than to use virgins of people I just killed. Am I in a great distance to "God" therefore?

Old 04-13-2021, 12:45 AM

99 posts, read 34,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I should point out that Moses and his men who committed those atrocities, were not Christian. Just saying.

Mind you, Christians have their own list of atrocities. So in that sense, Christian morals are or were, not all that different. You know, witch burnings, torture, crucifixions, impalings.
There would be Christians answering, the witch burnings and tortures were not done by "real Christians". And I think they are right. But we won't have to discuss about this.

Pointing out that Moses was not a Christian, will cause a problem in the system of christian believings: Christians state, that it is the same God. And a God who is cruel yesterday and a "nice loving guy" the next day, because he improved his moral skills. ... ye, you know what I want to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality