Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 11:24 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree with you, that was my point. It is something we can't know which belies your atheist claim for a default for what we can't know. I am not trying to adamantly describe your thoughts differently. You seem to be saying that you do NOT agree with those atheists here who claim the default is God does NOT exist until proven. Since that default would be mere speculation since we do not know, correct?
I am an atheist, because I am not aware of any sound evidence a god exists.

Not sure I can be any more clear than that. I apply that "default" (as you like to put it) to all else as well. Not just god. If I am not aware of any sound evidence an investment will be a good one, I don't make that investment. If I am not aware of any evidence that vaccines are harmful rather than helpful, I don't argue vaccines are bad, and I get vaccinated. If I am not aware of any sound evidence a monster lives in my attic, I don't call Ghostbusters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 01:05 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This seems ironic coming from an atheist since atheists claim it is not possible to know what does NOT exist, and yet they adamantly demand that we accept as a default that God does not exist because we can't know.
Oh, the irony!

I used to be agnostic because of the unknown factor. Not an atheist.

Now I accept that I don't know/understand much of it, but that's life. There's a lot of trust in things we don't fully understand all around us!

Old 05-20-2021, 01:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The fact that you need to keep repeating this lie is a big clue.

We call that lack of evidence for gods Bayesian. But well done for admitting you have no evidence.

The probability argument (zb, 8 billion people with brains; and our old, large universe is objective) is so overwhelming, we are waiting for you to do better (and have been doing so for over 2000 years).

I'm Pantheist...I perceive The Universe (ALL Reality) as God to me.
The Universe is objectively evident and its existence self-substantiating.
It's y'all that have no evidence to back your position.
I asked for Objective Evidence for the Atheist Concept That No God Exists...and I even noted, "no "Probability, only Objective Evidence".
So...what did you do? You cry, "Pleeeeeeease Tommy Bayes, heeeeeeeelp me!!"...and you give me no evidence, just "probability" based upon the fact that you have no evidence.
So...what is your estimated probability that the God I perceive, "The Universe", objectively exists?

Old 05-20-2021, 01:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, the irony!
I used to be agnostic because of the unknown factor. Not an atheist.
Now I accept that I don't know/understand much of it, but that's life. There's a lot of trust in things we don't fully understand all around us!
.... and according to 1st Corinthians 2:16; Romans 11:34 we don't know the mind of God, but we can know or understand the mind of Christ because his mind is recorded in Scripture for us.

We can understand the badness all around us (global badness) because Jesus forewarned us - Luke 21:11.
2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 describes the international badness today in how the world behaves and continues to behave.
And we can understand that it is Jesus, as Prince of Peace, that will usher in global Peace on Earth and that through Jesus there will be 'Healing' for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2.
Healing to the point as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:27 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am an atheist, because I am not aware of any sound evidence a god exists.

Not sure I can be any more clear than that. I apply that "default" (as you like to put it) to all else as well. Not just god. If I am not aware of any sound evidence an investment will be a good one, I don't make that investment. If I am not aware of any evidence that vaccines are harmful rather than helpful, I don't argue vaccines are bad, and I get vaccinated. If I am not aware of any sound evidence a monster lives in my attic, I don't call Ghostbusters...
Don't be coy by relying on the presumptuous assignment to a non-God existence of the very evidence you rely on. The evidence exists, it has just been presumed away.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:31 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
.... and according to 1st Corinthians 2:16; Romans 11:34 we don't know the mind of God, but we can know or understand the mind of Christ because his mind is recorded in Scripture for us.

We can understand the badness all around us (global badness) because Jesus forewarned us - Luke 21:11.
2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 describes the international badness today in how the world behaves and continues to behave.
And we can understand that it is Jesus, as Prince of Peace, that will usher in global Peace on Earth and that through Jesus there will be 'Healing' for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2.
Healing to the point as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.
There's nothing more logical than using the bible to prove the bible.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I am an atheist, because I am not aware of any sound evidence a god exists. .......
But we do have sound evidence that we exist, that nature (creation) exists, the universe exists.
So, the question is how did all this come about ________
To me world conditions today is also sound evidence that what the Bible warned is happening in front of our eyes.
Sure, we don't see God, but we do see His Book and No one, No enemy has been able to get rid of it.
We do see God's people, and just as Jesus said his people would declare, on an 'international scale' just as being done today about the good news message about God's Kingdom government to come.
- Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 - as it is written, so it is now globally done.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's nothing more logical than using the bible to prove the bible.
Guess what! Support for the biblical is found in the corresponding cross-reference verses and passages of Scripture.
This is Not found in other belief systems, and the application of biblical standards works out for every one's best interest.
Even visible creation that surrounds us is in harmony with Scripture.
The world sees the United Nations, and logically the United Nations see the world's troubles ( includes religious troubles)
With backing the United Nations can be strengthened, strengthened to become God's arm of the law.
In past Bible history, God used the political/military to carry out His purpose and go up against un-faithfulness.
So, it is 'logical' that once again God will use the political/military to carry out His purpose to rid the Earth of badness.
God, No man, will bring to ruin those ruing the Earth ( whether it be by literal or spiritual ruin ) - Revelation 11:18 B
'Logically' men will be saying, " Peace and Security...." but that logic will only prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation just as foretold at 1st Thess. 5:2-3; Rev. 7:14,9

Old 05-20-2021, 01:56 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Lack of evidence is often cause to throw a case out of court...

I suppose if you were a judge or juror in such a case, you'd like to spend your time considering the lack of evidence even after the janitor has turned the lights off...
More people throughout human history have been convicted on Personal Testimony & indirect/circumstantial evidence than anything else.
There are many courts in the world, even today, that will not accept anything other than Personal Testimony of a 3rd Party (some require more than one person), even for major felony crimes.
There IS evidence for God...you just won't accept it. But it's sufficient for 9 out of 10 people who have lived.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:06 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Guess what! Support for the biblical is found in the corresponding cross-reference verses and passages of Scripture.
This is Not found in other belief systems, and the application of biblical standards works out for every one's best interest.
Even visible creation that surrounds us is in harmony with Scripture.
The world sees the United Nations, and logically the United Nations see the world's troubles ( includes religious troubles)
With backing the United Nations can be strengthened, strengthened to become God's arm of the law.
In past Bible history, God used the political/military to carry out His purpose and go up against un-faithfulness.
So, it is 'logical' that once again God will use the political/military to carry out His purpose to rid the Earth of badness.
God, No man, will bring to ruin those ruing the Earth ( whether it be by literal or spiritual ruin ) - Revelation 11:18 B
'Logically' men will be saying, " Peace and Security...." but that logic will only prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation just as foretold at 1st Thess. 5:2-3; Rev. 7:14,9
Using the bible to prove the bible is a fool's errand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality