Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 12:41 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Legitimate exclusion and tangible harm are inexcusable, MQ. But we are destroying the reasonable in pursuit of perfection when we trivialize to the level of merely "taking offense," IMO.
Taking offense just to take offense is not what we are talking about here. In a progressively-more-multicultural society such as the one in which we now live, I believe we need to open our eyes to areas where we may need to adjust behaviors that were not historically challenged but maybe should be.

Here's a non-religious example. I grew up with a disabled father in a time when there were no handicapped parking spaces or wheelchair ramps to enter buildings. My sister and I had to jump out of cars as children to stand in a spot close to a door until he could get the car there while people yelled at us and called us names because they couldn't get into the spot without running us over. We always had to call ahead if we were going somewhere to see if there were only a few steps my father might be able to climb on his artificial legs.

That's a situation in which people had to be taught to become aware that a segment of the population was being left out. People thought that was silly, too. I remember the howling and whining going on when a couple of parking spots were first set aside for people like my dad. The irony was that he lost his legs in combat fighting so that these idiots had the right to say whatever stupid thing they wanted to.

But time went on, and now no one questions that the disabled have the right to accommodations in public areas. I'm hoping that in time people will do the same with situations like this and consider it thoughtless and rude to force personal religious preferences on others in governmental-led meetings and events.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:46 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
A question that we ask of Christians all the time.

"what do Christians do that elicited the responses we see here."

well, insert all the groups we talk about.
There are all kinds of responses. Can you be less wishwashy?

Old 05-02-2021, 12:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Taking offense just to take offense is not what we are talking about here. In a progressively-more-multicultural society such as the one in which we now live, I believe we need to open our eyes to areas where we may need to adjust behaviors that were not historically challenged but maybe should be.

Here's a non-religious example. I grew up with a disabled father in a time when there were no handicapped parking spaces or wheelchair ramps to enter buildings. My sister and I had to jump out of cars as children to stand in a spot close to a door until he could get the car there while people yelled at us and called us names because they couldn't get into the spot without running us over. We always had to call ahead if we were going somewhere to see if there were only a few steps my father might be able to climb on his artificial legs.

That's a situation in which people had to be taught to become aware that a segment of the population was being left out. People thought that was silly, too. I remember the howling and whining going on when a couple of parking spots were first set aside for people like my dad. The irony was that he lost his legs in combat fighting so that these idiots had the right to say whatever stupid thing they wanted to.

But time went on, and now no one questions that the disabled have the right to accommodations in public areas. I'm hoping that in time people will do the same with situations like this and consider it thoughtless and rude to force personal religious preferences on others in governmental-led meetings and events.
valid point ...

doesn't alternating prayers do that even more than banning? like those physical spots were are hard structure focusing our attention on a moral issue? Every time I walk buy them, I think of it.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:52 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You are welcome, dear Petunia. The world is a wonderful place.
I've been noticing the little developing crush you have on me. I'm sorry, but it's just not going to happen.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
There are all kinds of responses. Can you be less wishwashy?
I really can't. When we apply our standards to ourselves, sometimes it seems wishy washy. That alone gives me a reading.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
T

Exactly. i am very happy that we live in a country where we value every person’s need to feel whole. This is why a community that wishes to have a prayer before delving into budgets and finance so they may all make sound judgements that will serve community needs and not serve only selfish entitlements, should be accommodate as well. It sets the tone for keeping the focus community.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:

Fine post.

Sadly, this thread (and the world) is full of people who simply don't care about the feelings of those outside their little clan.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I've been noticing the little developing crush you have on me. I'm sorry, but it's just not going to happen.
Your comments are too precious.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:

IMO, that is absolutely the case. In the meantime, however, we will experience growing pains. They will pass.

I'm so sorry that you and your sister, as little girls, were subject to shouts from strangers for saving a parking space.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly. i am very happy that we live in a country where we value every person’s need to feel whole. This is why a community that wishes to have a prayer before delving into budgets and finance so they may all make sound judgements that will serve community needs and not serve only selfish entitlements, should be accommodate as well. It sets the tone for keeping the focus community.
Because otherwise they are incapable of making sound judgments? Then they shouldn't be in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality