Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,910,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Some more like me call what you are complaining about the "sizzle on the steak."

Not that I'm always all that entertained or amused by some of the mud that gets slung about on a regular basis, but sitting where we are it is pretty damn easy to let the mud fly without letting any of it hit you.

More importantly perhaps are the intelligent expressions of a variety of opinions that SHOULD make more of a difference than they do. The law is important and the highest court in the land has decided, but even aside from the law there is the inappropriate imposition by some on others compared to those who know better how to "stay in their lane."

Nothing that hasn't been explained so many times in this thread already, but why can't people simply do their thing in their own private space instead of a public one? Doesn't only apply to prayer either. Some people also want to go nude in public. None of us will die if we see someone nude in public either, but still. Unfortunately the law is not clear on who should be allowed to go nude in public and who should not.

I won't bother to share my opinion about that even though I have some pretty strong feelings about that too...
The sizzle should make the steak taste better, not make you want to take a shower. The ignore option is the shield, and i am good with that.
The law is ambiguous and intentionally so. The atheist fervor against prayer does not arise from any kind of thoughtful consciousness about liberty, community, or acknowledgment of human suffering. It is hubris. It is actually out of ignorance of history of atheism and the horror atheists have wreaked on humanity.
The council meeting happens in a public space. The POTUS gives his speech in the public space and he prays to God to bless America. Not silently but he proclaims his faith. What other proof do you need that the law is ambiguous on purpose?
https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...506-story.html
Cases such as this precludes the opportunity for a community to handle prayer in an amicable way by accepting diversity of prayer in turn. Atheists’ attacks on prayer not only lose, they effectively establish Christianity as the default “religion” because they are wedded to the fundamentalist idea of fundamentalist christianity.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:15 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,910,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And you keep denying there are 30000+ sect of xianity

You can all get along since you all have the same gang leader
If they get along, do you have a problem with that? Not only athiests attack prayer but sow dissension in the community. What a wasted set of humanity.

Last edited by cb2008; 05-05-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 05-05-2021, 11:31 AM

29,380 posts, read 9,563,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And I say anyone that whines about prayer in public if it represents the beliefs of the strong majority in the community is laughable. Big whup. Get over it and find something useful to do with your life.
You're just being rude here...

To express opinion about what is appropriate for people to do in the privacy of their own home as compared public gatherings is not whining. The Supreme Court of the United States doesn't take up matters of no matter or what you seem to think is nothing but a "big whup." Getting educated about such things would be a useful thing to do with your life. Getting educated is at least considered useful by most people anyway. Helps to minimize the problems brought about by stubborn ignorance.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM

18,880 posts, read 6,896,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You're just being rude here...

To express opinion about what is appropriate for people to do in the privacy of their own home as compared public gatherings is not whining. The Supreme Court of the United States doesn't take up matters of no matter or what you seem to think is nothing but a "big whup."
I didn't use the phrase "big whup" first. It was used in response to me stating that there are others with different religious practices and beliefs than me.
Quote:

Getting educated about such things would be a useful thing to do with your life. Getting educated is at least considered useful by most people anyway. Helps to minimize the problems brought about by stubborn ignorance.
I'm ok with the idea of live and let live. I'm not the one trying to impose my will on others.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:48 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,586,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
if they get along, do you have a problem with that? Not only athiests attack prayer but sow dissension in the community. What a wasted set of humanity.
if

That’s why there so many sect because they don’t get along

Old 05-05-2021, 11:50 AM

50,358 posts, read 23,944,182 times
Quote:
I'm just asking for a list of them. If you can provide that list of 30,000, I'll agree. Until then, I'll simply point out that it's unsubstantiated. You want to provide an actual list, start a new thread. Not a web page estimating it, but an actual list of 30,000 named denominations.

But let's not take this thread off topic. I won't hijack or contribute to you hijacking this thread.

And by the way, I mentioned 3 denominations in my post. Only 3.
So even though you haven't seen the list, you have already decided it is unsubstantiated. Wow...now there's an open mind.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
And I say anyone that whines about prayer in public if it represents the beliefs of the strong majority in the community is laughable. Big whup. Get over it and find something useful to do with your life.
That's right...straw man time. You are in a rather closeted area of America with little significant religious diversity. You need to get out more.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:55 AM

16,605 posts, read 15,553,885 times
Quote:
It's entirely up to the community to decide it, not some tyrant in a city 500 or 1000 miles away. Nowhere have I said it's necessary. I will not tell the residents of Arthur, Il or the residents of Salt Lake City, UT or anywhere in between what they can and cannot do.

The Constitution is very clear that the Federal Government is not to interfere in that sort of thing.
I guess you think the 14th Amendment doesn't apply, huh? It clearly says that all the Constitutional provisions that limit he role of government apply to all levels of government. It was ratified in 1868, so it's not news.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:56 AM

16,605 posts, read 15,553,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So even though you haven't seen the list, you have already decided it is unsubstantiated. Wow...now there's an open mind.
He's seen the list. Actually several of them. They just don't happen to be numbered.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
It's entirely up to the community to decide it, not some tyrant in a city 500 or 1000 miles away. Nowhere have I said it's necessary. I will not tell the residents of Arthur, Il or the residents of Salt Lake City, UT or anywhere in between what they can and cannot do.

The Constitution is very clear that the Federal Government is not to interfere in that sort of thing.
Who is this tyrant you keep speaking of?
Do you mean our duly elected representatives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality