Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 07:19 PM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was uncertain of my memory about this, but it was in the back of my mind that this was a settled issue in favor of reason and common sense.
Yeah, this information with link has been posted in this very thread several posts ago. Athiests have a selective blindness to facts and keep repeating the verses from their playbook like a mantra.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:40 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Apparently the SCOTUS agrees fighting prayer in public institution is misguide and has ruled for prayer.
Let's just clarify one thing: Your side won by the narrowest of margins: 5-4.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's just clarify one thing: Your side won by the narrowest of margins: 5-4.
Which just goes to show how our "Majority Rules" government system only needs the slightest of majorities to give that part the might, and allow their way to rule over everyone.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 AM

29,546 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The point is when is forcing people not to decide they can pray considered "forcing a belief on others"

if they alternated prayer to represent the community, is that acceptable?

The trick is figuring out who is doing what
Since "forcing people not to decide they can pray" doesn't apply here, I don't think you get the point at all...

Old 05-10-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
when you stop them from opening their town meeting with your statement of belief about religion/prayer, you are forcing your beliefs on them. if you are not ... the them deciding to open their meeting with prayer is not forcing anything on anybody either.

This matter is simple phet. The fact that you have to fight it so hard, past alternate or none, whatever the people decide, is just proof that you running scared.
This is some real twisted logic and a good reminder what to waste time entertaining and/or where time is better spent...

To go to a public meeting and discuss what the meeting is about is NOT to "force" any beliefs on anyone. It's to stick to the agenda of the meeting. Plain and simple like. With your kind of logic, anything deemed inappropriate at such a meeting is somehow to "force beliefs" on others. Truly ridiculous!

Or I guess every public meeting held that does not include a prayer is somehow to force atheism on everyone. What a joke of jokes.

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-10-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 10:00 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Yeah, this information with link has been posted in this very thread several posts ago. Athiests have a selective blindness to facts and keep repeating the verses from their playbook like a mantra.
The bane of most religions.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Apparently the SCOTUS agrees fighting prayer in public institution is misguide and has ruled for prayer.
In one town.

Do not let facts get in the way of reality.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Me too. And my late, very pious dad was all for separation. It is the law, after all.

I don't even understand the argument. No one has to pray in public settings. Jesus even said to pray privately in your "closet", not grand words in public.

Do whatever you want on your own time but don't interfere in secular activities. For example, praying prone on the floor 5 times a day, would be distracting in business/school settings. But if Christians can pray publicly, we'd have to allow that too....
Sure makes sense to me!

And/or if we're all going to be so tolerant and understanding of whatever anyone wants to say or sing before a public meeting, then we've all got to understand the person who might stand up and voice objection. Very calmly, respectfully, stand up and say, "sorry, but what you are doing makes no sense to me, and I don't see what it has to do with why we're all here at this meeting."

Some else should also be allowed to stand up and say, "me too." I've got a different prayer I'd like everyone to hear!"

To hell with the meeting. Let us pray!

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-10-2021 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What needs to be understood is REALITY OF THE WAY OF THE WORLD.
And that REALITY is that "Separation of Church and State" is not found in the Constitution. That was just a sentence in a letter that Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist Association.
The rulings by the SCOTUS that cited that as conforming with The Constitution are on par with the SCOTUS rulings that said Blacks were not people and could be considered property.
Since many understand this REALITY, you get most government officials completely dismissing those bogus rulings in what they actually say and do.
Those that are anti-Religious and get all tweaked out by Religion, try to point to those rulings as somehow worth something...but that is just to assuage the angst they feel due to their emotional headtrips.
You have a great understanding and respect for the REALITY OF THE WAY OF THE WORLD, but it sure seems like you've got a big blind spot, lack of understanding, when it comes to the reality of a secular society. Did you know the United States of America is the first explicitly secular nation in world history? You also seem confused by how exceptions don't make the rule. What secularism is all about. What it means.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Do parents have a right to “force” their religion on their children?
Is this a trick question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality