Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Non-participation is not an option.
In Virginia, sex ed was an opt-out program, although now I think it has become an opt-in program.

The feds have nothing to do with it. It's a state curriculum.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:08 PM

Maybe CB is right. After all, in Israel and the Gaza Strip, many, many gatherings include public prayers. And look how well that's working now...and overall for the past few hundred years. I know in my lifetime of 70 years I've never heard of any violence ever done in the Middle East...the Holy Land. Their prayers certainly solved the problem of unrest in the Middle East through good decision making and god's help.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Non-participation is not an option.
Really? I did not know that.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:59 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe CB is right. After all, in Israel and the Gaza Strip, many, many gatherings include public prayers. And look how well that's working now...and overall for the past few hundred years. I know in my lifetime of 70 years I've never heard of any violence ever done in the Middle East...the Holy Land. Their prayers certainly solved the problem of unrest in the Middle East through good decision making and god's help.
Even your sarcasm suffers from relying on non-sequiturs. Perhaps you should not try to exercise a wit you do not seem to have.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Even your sarcasm suffers from relying on non-sequiturs. Perhaps you should not try to exercise a wit you do not seem to have.
This was a separate post, not a response to a particular post. So it's not a non-sequitur.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What I have not seen as of yet is an explanation of why public expression of religion in a school, or a city council meeting, or whatever is sooooo horrible and is such a terrible violation of federal law, but we see states allow many many things that are outlawed on the federal level, and no one here is whining about it.

It's an honest question. I'm willing to consider it, and I'd love for someone to explain that.
You have yet to explain why doing your jesus prayer ritual can't be done outside of the meeting before the meeting starts, why is so important to do the prayer after the gavel hits the block BFun?

Now just ignore the hard questions.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:36 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You have yet to explain why doing your jesus prayer ritual can't be done outside of the meeting before the meeting starts, why is so important to do the prayer after the gavel hits the block BFun?

The explanation is simple, and you already know it: Because that is the preference.
It is not a matter of what "can or can't be done"...it is a matter of what is preferred to be done.
All people would like things to be the way they would prefer them to be. Some will even endeavor to compel their preference.
There will almost always be those with differing preferences.
It will then be based upon "might" (regardless of the source of that "might") what "preference" prevails over others.
People can chose to be magnanimous and defer to the preference of others over their own...or not.
That is The Way of The World.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:03 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The explanation is simple, and you already know it: Because that is the preference.
It is not a matter of what "can or can't be done"...it is a matter of what is preferred to be done.
All people would like things to be the way they would prefer them to be. Some will even endeavor to compel their preference.
There will almost always be those with differing preferences.
It will then be based upon "might" (regardless of the source of that "might") what "preference" prevails over others.
People can chose to be magnanimous and defer to the preference of others over their own...or not.
That is The Way of The World.
Do you think this is okay to pray to jesus before Government meeting Gldn?

Is this your excuse also BFun?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Do you think this is okay to pray to jesus before Government meeting Gldn?

Is this your excuse also BFun?
Sure...it's no more or less "okay" than most anything else.
It falls into the "no big deal", and, "only people that can't get a grip on their emotional headtrips will care" category.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What I have not seen as of yet is an explanation of why public expression of religion in a school, or a city council meeting, or whatever is sooooo horrible and is such a terrible violation of federal law, but we see states allow many many things that are outlawed on the federal level, and no one here is whining about it.

It's an honest question. I'm willing to consider it, and I'd love for someone to explain that.
Slippery slopes, how do they work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality