Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 03:39 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Perhaps we should ask an even more basic question: what have government officials ever done to justify their continued existence?

Seriously though, it's like Jesus said to Pilate: "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above".

Those in power derive their power from God, and ought to publicly recognize that fact as an act of humility.
They got elected. That's how it works. If we don't like the way they do their jobs, we elect somebody else next time. What Jesus said to Pilate of whether they derive their power from God is irrelevant to whether they get the most votes in an election.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
You said it, Sam - not me. Pardon me for taking your words at face value
Protecting minorities, whether they be racial minorities or religious minorities does not mean that they get to do anything they want.

In fact, I think that's what you're all about: I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it, regardless of how it affects other.

You might want to look into living in some other country where more people feel the way you do. Although I'm not sure there are any countries that follow the kind of principles you project.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:56 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They got elected. That's how it works. If we don't like the way they do their jobs, we elect somebody else next time. What Jesus said to Pilate of whether they derive their power from God is irrelevant to whether they get the most votes in an election.
Look, this "consent of the governed" rabbit trail got started because I wrote up a little exercise in imagination for phetaroi so that he could see that he doesn't actually believe in the principle of "consent of the governed" in an absolute sense as he claimed.

I have no interest in discussing American Civics apart from the public prayer issue. I'm all too familiar with how our system of government works, for better and for worse.

But whether a government official was put into power by Caesar's appointment (as was the case with Pilate) or by popular election, their power still derives from God. Appointment and election are merely the means God has used to further his purposes.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
God also raised up Nebuchadnezzar and a host of other bad kings in Israel and the surrounding nations. And he raised up good kings. Rulers rule according to the pleasure of God.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God also raised up Nebuchadnezzar and a host of other bad kings in Israel and the surrounding nations. And he raised up good kings. Rulers rule according to the pleasure of God.
Uh-huh.

Fer shure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyp9fh-u4w8

Old 04-20-2021, 05:22 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Look, this "consent of the governed" rabbit trail got started because I wrote up a little exercise in imagination for phetaroi so that he could see that he doesn't actually believe in the principle of "consent of the governed" in an absolute sense as he claimed.

I have no interest in discussing American Civics apart from the public prayer issue. I'm all too familiar with how our system of government works, for better and for worse.

But whether a government official was put into power by Caesar's appointment (as was the case with Pilate) or by popular election, their power still derives from God. Appointment and election are merely the means God has used to further his purposes.
Don't give yourself so much credit. There's very little in life that is absolutes.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

You did not bring up a rabbit trail you brought up the phony sovereign citizen ruse of claiming that the government needs the consent from an individual needs to approve each and evert law or regulation before they are bounded by it.

If you got past elementary school you'd understand that you presented a false claim. Phetaroi was using the grown up version of consent of the governed, your one that a matiure and reasonable person uses.

You earlier claimed that you would not force people to convert to Christianity but that all citizens would need to admit that Christ is their King. Guess you either don't understand other beliefs ot the meanings of the words forced or have to. And you would require everyone to live a virtuous life. Guess tolerance is not a virtue in your mind. Whose denomination decides what is not virtues?

Even Sadam Hussein had a senior cabinet minister who was of another religion, I that case he was a Christian. So you are proposing a worse form of government than Sadam even had. Your idea of a country would result in a blood bath and then a country ran by the most fanatical Christians imaginable.

H9w long before you promote yourself ahead of Jesus nor even your God himself?

Old 04-20-2021, 05:30 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Just had to stop by this thread for a few moments, for my daily dose of absurdity. Fun to see we're now on p. 31.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just had to stop by this thread for a few moments, for my daily dose of absurdity. Fun to see we're now on p. 31.
They are sure showing us.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:55 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The original thread was about the legitimate space for prayer in American life. That it has been allowed to turn into this grotesque flogging of an untenable position regarding Christ the King is due to the fact that it is easy to flog that than defend atheist “activism” against prayer.
We watched crowds of people today praying in all manner of ways, in all kinds of public places and institutions, in relief and in gratitude for justice served. This is not public display of piety as some have foolishly called it. This is what prayer is and how it gets expressed, and how it heals.
This is how America deals with religion and it is the most sensible and sensitive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality