Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 02:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't understand why you keep asking about this when it has been clearly explained several times. Here is a link to an article explaining the long history of the school (and other) public prayer issue.

https://www.historynet.com/scotus-10...ic-schools.htm

This wikipedia article explains that the prohibition against government sponsored prayer also applies to all the government bodies in the United States, not just the federal government.
I am not asking about anything. I am stating my belief that it is a foolish endeavor for an organization to try and stop prayer at civil ceremonies. Prayer and religious texts are very much part of American life. The one and only condition is the that the government cannot establish any religion but it does not prohibit the practice of any religion, which prayer is. And this is happening all the time as it was clearly demonstrated on the streets of Minneapolis yesterday when people prayed in relief. It is a natural part of being human.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:54 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That seems kind of self serving of the church does it not?
How so?

The duty of the Church is to lead people to eternal salvation and provide the means for it.

Submitting to Christ's Kingship is a necessary step towards salvation.

If the Church failed to proclaim Christ's Kingship, she would be abysmally failing in her primary duty.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
stopping prayer and only having Christian prayer are different matters. If they took turns with lots of different religious prayers that would be fine. In fact, it would be a teaching moment when a person freaks out at a prayer or a different religion's prayer. We could point that person out and show others what to look for.

Islam is the dividing line. That religion seeks to be the government to me. If they would change that I would be more open to it.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
stopping prayer and only having Christian prayer are different matters. If they took turns with lots of different religious prayers that would be fine. In fact, it would be a teaching moment when a person freaks out at a prayer or a different religion's prayer. We could point that person out and show others what to look for.

Islam is the dividing line. That religion seeks to be the government to me. If they would change that I would be more open to it.
Honestly? If an area is mostly Muslim, then let them do Muslim prayers. The school should reflect the local population. I'm not Mennonite, but I know a town where it's only Mennonites, and they pray before the day starts. It doesn't offend me. That's who they are.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? If an area is mostly Muslim, then let them do Muslim prayers. The school should reflect the local population. I'm not Mennonite, but I know a town where it's only Mennonites, and they pray before the day starts. It doesn't offend me. That's who they are.
You have a point. I do not have an answer for it. I would probably accept it. They just seem more about government also to me. But I could be wrong. I mean Christians were that way at one time also.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:09 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You don't have any desire to figure out whether your beliefs are correct or incorrect?
Of course, but religious belief is a very subjective thing. I was a fundamental Christian for decades and then I wasn't. Beliefs can change and in my case they did. Not saying one is good and one is bad. It just is.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:11 PM

good people are good people. Rational people are rational people.

They tend to express their beliefs in a rational helpful way.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:17 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Of course, but religious belief is a very subjective thing. I was a fundamental Christian for decades and then I wasn't. Beliefs can change and in my case they did. Not saying one is good and one is bad. It just is.
I believe that Truth exists. I also believe that God, who is Ultimate Truth, has created a world in which it is possible to discover Truth. It's our duty to seek it out; and if we seek it, we will find it.

Our beliefs should change over time as they gradually conform to belief in what is True.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You have a point. I do not have an answer for it. I would probably accept it. They just seem more about government also to me. But I could be wrong. I mean Christians were that way at one time also.
None of the American Muslims I know seem to seek to be government. They just want to be successful in business.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I believe that Truth exists. I also believe that God, who is Ultimate Truth, has created a world in which it is possible to discover Truth. It's our duty to seek it out; and if we seek it, we will find it.

Our beliefs should change over time as they gradually conform to belief in what is True.
I agree with the bold. I realized Catholicism (Christianity) was not only not true, it was silly.

And your proclamation of Jesus as KING OF THE WORLD, gave me the best laugh I've had in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality