Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And then again a few times.
I would like to thank her and the guy who wants our politicians to proclaim his god as our king...they show every thinking person just what the danger of their position is. It's sort of like a guy in a trial who keeps damaging his own case by talking.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
People who pray also pay taxes. I think I have asked you before what is organized public prayer? I have never seen one. Looks like you fighting a phantom, or a cause looking for a fight.
When you go to say a city council meeting, and they open it with prayer. Or a school board meeting. Or a school sporting event. That's an organized public prayer. They are both inappropriate and illegal.

You have never experienced one? You are quite fortunate. I wish that I could say the same.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:10 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
People who pray also pay taxes. I think I have asked you before what is organized public prayer? I have never seen one. Looks like you fighting a phantom, or a cause looking for a fight.
I guess I wasted my time posting links to the court rulings. It's obvious you didn't read them.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
When you go to say a city council meeting, and they open it with prayer. Or a school board meeting. Or a school sporting event. That's an organized public prayer. They are both inappropriate and illegal.

You have never experienced one? You are quite fortunate. I wish that I could say the same.
I do know what you are referring to, but can I ask you what exactly their praying imposed on you? How were you harmed, or hurt, or otherwise inconvenienced or put upon by what they did?

Old 04-21-2021, 06:19 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

They all sound like city council meeting, school board meeting, school sporting event, not organized public prayer. Some open with a prayer some don't. Only if an employee of those institutions say the prayer it is a problem. If the invite a a community member to volunteer a prayer, it is not. Appropriateness is an opinion.

And yet we have the President of the USA, an employee, saying a prayer, asking God to Bless America and we all watch it on TV.

Why does the Frff not taking him to court? Has it tried?

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-21-2021 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-21-2021, 06:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
They all sound like city council meeting, school board meeting, school sporting event, not organized public prayer. Some open with a prayer some don't. Only if an employee of those institutions say the prayer it is a problem. If the invite a a community member to volunteer a prayer, it is not. Appropriateness is an opinion.

And yet we have the President of the USA, an employee, saying a prayer, asking God to Bless America and we all watch it on TV.

Why does the Frff not taking him to court? Has it tried?

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-21-2021 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-21-2021, 06:27 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Religion is as natural to being human as is science, art, ethics, and politics, Santayana said.
Hatred of religion, he said, “is insensibility to the plight of man and all that man truly loves.”
He declared himself an atheist.
Prayer is the practice of religion, not any particular religion, any religion.
I don’t know if atheists pray, because then I don’t know who they pray to if they do not believe in a deity. I am willing to be relieved of this ignorance in this matter, but then who really knows? Foxhole and all that.
The “separation” of Church and State in the US constitution is somewhat ambiguous in that it does not show enmity to religion as do the Europeans.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepa...irst_Amendment
The Atheist war against prayer in public places is misguided considering the humongous amount of human rights and civil right violations against humanity present right now. Starting the day with a prayer or a town hall meeting with a prayer for guidance is simply a human thing to do. Whether such prayer is answered or there is a god to hear this is the wrong question. That it helps those who pray and those who hear the prayer in ways that cannot be expressed is what is important.
Moderator, If this thread is misplaced in this forum please free to remove it or move it as you see fit.
If it’s a private institution, then I’d say sure have at it. I don’t really care, and I’d wager that most folks don’t, either.

But the constitution and subsequent law laid down by SCOTUS is clear. Public institutions have to steer clear of any religious undertakings. It’s not a suppression of religion, it’s both a measure to keep the country from being a theocracy, and a measure to ensure that no one religious order has the power to suppress any other religious orders, or to impose religion on those who don’t care to partake.

That’s a pretty simple thing to understand, methinks.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:04 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
If it’s a private institution, then I’d say sure have at it. I don’t really care, and I’d wager that most folks don’t, either.

But the constitution and subsequent law laid down by SCOTUS is clear. Public institutions have to steer clear of any religious undertakings. It’s not a suppression of religion, it’s both a measure to keep the country from being a theocracy, and a measure to ensure that no one religious order has the power to suppress any other religious orders, or to impose religion on those who don’t care to partake.

That’s a pretty simple thing to understand, methinks.
Sure, except there is nothing simple about it. Saying prayer before getting down to the business of budgets, expenses and taxes is a simple thing. How dies that morph in to becoming a theocracy? That is ridiculous. It will require an amendment of the constitution and that is not happening. Even the most religious, other the Escapee from Alabama, would not want that.
America and Americans do not have enmity with religion or prayers and yet is strictly secular. It is unique in that way and a model for many countries.
It is an atheist’s problem.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Sure, except there is nothing simple about it. Saying prayer before getting down to the business of budgets, expenses and taxes is a simple thing. How dies that morph in to becoming a theocracy? That is ridiculous. It will require an amendment of the constitution and that is not happening. Even the most religious, other the Escapee from Alabama, would not want that.
America and Americans do not have enmity with religion or prayers and yet is strictly secular. It is unique in that way and a model for many countries.
It's a fair-minded, thinking person's problem.

I understand it's not yours.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
No its not. Is there a legitimate reason for amending tour constitution to allow including prayer in government functions? A logical and rational set of reasons to 0rovided to all the governments to approve the amendment? Has thete been a problem with government not being able to function properly or being unable to produce good legislation due to the lack of a prayer?

It is not an atheists problem, it's a problem that some people like yourself would do almost anything to put down atheists.

Which countries is the States a model for in this subject.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality