Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 02:54 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I have lived in the deep south my entire life. The last job I had was a government job. There would be a prayer before a public town meeting and even before meals if it was a group event. The prayer was directed to Father God, Lord, Jesus, or some permutation thereof. And always, always the prayer ended "in Jesus name" without fail. At other times there would be religious discussions, i.e., bible studies on these same government premises, during work hours, often led by the supervisors.
Wow. Ok, that is not my experience. that is heavy religion.
I also decline when we are sitting with couple at a table at some meeting, when they want to hold hands and pray before eating. We wait until they finish before we eat though. But I am not offended. I just dont like the holding hands part.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But my suggestion was and I said any objection to it would be extreme zealotry. Badlander took exception to it and I responded. Any objection to a silent period for prayer (or picking your teeth or whatever) would be extreme zealotry.
Why do you need somebody to tell you to take time out for a prayer? Can't you handle that yourself? Do you still need mommy to tell you to go poo poo? Can't you handle these things as an independent adult?

Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Muslims wont just be uncomfortable it will be a disrespectful kind of worship for them. It is not public performance it is a personal spiritual act done in a sacred place.
I don't know how others feel, but for me there only one god, the one in my head and heart. So any prayer is to my god.
Some people feel beginning an important meeting where tasks need to be accomplished with a blessing is a good thing. It makes them feel empowered.

That atheists fight prayers at such a meeting is not because they are worried about offending people of other religion. They fight it because it goes against their belief - belief that there is no god.
I don't know why they cannot just step outside for the few minutes of the prayer. Or just plug their ears.
Or just show some tolerance for community.
Have you ever seen an atheist get up at a meeting and oppose the prayer? I haven't. As to why they can't step outside for a few minutes, the same could be said for those who insist on praying to the Christian God. Everybody gets to pray or not pray outside, then come into the room and start business. That sounds like a good solution to me.

Not sure what this fight is you keep talking about. I'm not an atheist, more of a pantheist, with a dollop of Buddhism, but I could do without public prayers at public meetings.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Wow. Ok, that is not my experience. that is heavy religion.
I also decline when we are sitting with couple at a table at some meeting, when they want to hold hands and pray before eating. We wait until they finish before we eat though. But I am not offended. I just dont like the holding hands part.
Like I said, I'm not offended, but could just do without all that. I've had hundreds of experiences having to sit through prayers at meetings, meals, etc. I guess I took issue with your OP about atheists fighting prayer in public places. I've never witnessed that, TBH.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
There is usually one one person, such as an invited religious official such as a minister or rabbi or someone like. They do a brief invocation. I have never seen anyone pray out loud while this is going on.

How would a Christian God be invoked? They just say god.

Have you ever been in some kind of public meeting when this has happened?
So you really think they are talking about a god other than the christian-judaic god? Really? You think the minister or rabbi is talking about Ganesha (for example)? Really?

Old 04-18-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you really think they are talking about a god other than the christian-judaic god? Really? You think the minister or rabbi is talking about Ganesha (for example)? Really?
Exactly, phet. In the myriad of meetings and meals I have attended over the years, they are definitely talking about the Christian God. Jesus gets invoked in each and every one.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Some people feel beginning an important meeting where tasks need to be accomplished with a blessing is a good thing. It makes them feel empowered.

And there you have it. It's about christian power. Christian privilege.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not offended, but could just do without all that. I've had hundreds of experiences having to sit through prayers at meetings, meals, etc. I guess I took issue with your OP about atheists fighting prayer in public places. I've never witnessed that, TBH.
Oh, there is a thread about how Atheist are fighting prayer in the AA forum. You may want to check it out.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:08 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why do you need somebody to tell you to take time out for a prayer? Can't you handle that yourself? Do you still need mommy to tell you to go poo poo? Can't you handle these things as an independent adult?
Why infer that I need anything, phet? If there are those present whose consciousness would be positively affected by a cooperative silent period prior to a group enterprise, why would anyone object?

Old 04-18-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Have you ever seen an atheist get up at a meeting and oppose the prayer? I haven't. As to why they can't step outside for a few minutes, the same could be said for those who insist on praying to the Christian God. Everybody gets to pray or not pray outside, then come into the room and start business. That sounds like a good solution to me.

Not sure what this fight is you keep talking about. I'm not an atheist, more of a pantheist, with a dollop of Buddhism, but I could do without public prayers at public meetings.
No I have not. I don't know who is an atheist when I attend meetings. But apparently that is part of atheist activism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.