Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 02:36 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
1st...this "Pyrite Boy" thing that Salty started (and he complained about me being "condescending"!), and you, et al, have adopted...that is tantamount to outright ad hominem, calling me a "fool" (Iron Pyrite = "Fool's Gold" & "Boy" is a known insulting trope) and is against the TOS...not to mention, nothing but puerile spew. Get your acts together and write like adults, not children lacking maturity.
Everything is essentially "a argument from probability".
Anything we claim to "know" falls on a "probability scale".
Nothing can ever be 100%... because anything could be something other than what we figure it is.
The only reason we believe anything at all...is because we have faith (to whatever degree) that we trust the accuracy of the data/info that supports it. Without that faith...you would not believe it to be so.
You always need faith.
That is why it is ignorant to say that it is foolish for the religious to believe what they do on faith...when everyone believes anything and everything they do on faith.
I understand just fine that some things have higher probability of being accurate than others...but it is always on faith we accept whatever degree of probability we think it has.
Religious beliefs are not an exception as many like to claim. All knowledge is supported upon faith.
All this stuff about "facts" and "proof" and "absolute truth", that the secularists claim to have all over the Religious...that's bogus.
At best...you have Faith and Belief that what you think you "know" falls at the higher end of the probability scale than what they think they "know".
Some things are obvious...like it raining 9000 inches of rain a day for 6 weeks. Very low, low, low on the probability scale.
But whether the Deities of theological writings are representative of a God Entity that actually exists...is not quite so cut and dried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is a lot of words just to play the 'faith' game.
That does not take away from the truthfulness of what he said, Harry, except for probability dissemblers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 03:20 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That does not take away from the truthfulness of what he said, Harry, except for probability dissemblers.
I'm reminded of that 60's era song Nothing from Nothing leaves Nothing. There isn't any truthfulness in what he said, says or ever said, as far as I can tell. Trout nailed it.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:22 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
You are wrong. I only sow my own beliefs and the support of others to believe however they choose.
It's Y'all that sow the insults. Just look at the profile statements and pictures...many show up bashing Religion and Theism...and proceed to bash, interrogate, harass, and mock Believers, in every possible way.
I just call that out. If I see someone committing a mugging, and I go give him a beat-down...that does not constitute me assaulting them. I'm defending, not attacking...countering, not leading.
Quit busting on the Believers in a nasty, insulting, mocking way...inquire about Beliefs with respect and decency.
If you don't like what you KNOW is written in the Holy Books (the most epic and prolific Books in the history of humankind), and adherents adopting those positions...state that in a decent, respectful manner, and then leave it at that.
In life, you have to deal with a lot you may not like. In this Country (the U S.), right now, there are things that are legal and permitted that people endorse & do, that I think is the most horrible, barbaric, evil things possible. But I am not on sites for it going off on those people that view it differently than me.
Did it ever occur to you that how you perceive your message may be very different than how your message is perceived?

Old 06-29-2021, 05:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
1st...this "Pyrite Boy" thing that Salty started (and he complained about me being "condescending"!), and you, et al, have adopted...that is tantamount to outright ad hominem, calling me a "fool" (Iron Pyrite = "Fool's Gold" & "Boy" is a known insulting trope) and is against the TOS...not to mention, nothing but puerile spew. Get your acts together and write like adults, not children lacking maturity.
Everything is essentially "a argument from probability".
Anything we claim to "know" falls on a "probability scale".
Nothing can ever be 100%... because anything could be something other than what we figure it is.
The only reason we believe anything at all...is because we have faith (to whatever degree) that we trust the accuracy of the data/info that supports it. Without that faith...you would not believe it to be so.
You always need faith.
That is why it is ignorant to say that it is foolish for the religious to believe what they do on faith...when everyone believes anything and everything they do on faith.
I understand just fine that some things have higher probability of being accurate than others...but it is always on faith we accept whatever degree of probability we think it has.
Religious beliefs are not an exception as many like to claim. All knowledge is supported upon faith.
All this stuff about "facts" and "proof" and "absolute truth", that the secularists claim to have all over the Religious...that's bogus.
At best...you have Faith and Belief that what you think you "know" falls at the higher end of the probability scale than what they think they "know".
Some things are obvious...like it raining 9000 inches of rain a day for 6 weeks. Very low, low, low on the probability scale.
But whether the Deities of theological writings are representative of a God Entity that actually exists...is not quite so cut and dried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The Hollow Man uses a lot of words, but as usual, says nothing of merit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Pardon my French, but what you responded to is utter BS, and your response not far behind. Just trying to keep you honest.
Quote:
This^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
I'm reminded of that 60's era song Nothing from Nothing leaves Nothing. There isn't any truthfulness in what he said, says or ever said, as far as I can tell. Trout nailed it.
Notice how Y'all just put forth childish and vulgar insults, and declare things to be untrue...but never offer any reasoned rebuttal that is based upon anything meritorious? What's up with that?
Just declare people and things "untrue", "nothing", etc...and, of course, include all the childish & vulgar insults...that's all most of you have to offer 99% of the time.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
"Fighting Religion" is just one of your countless strawmen that you play from high atop that fence you sit astride.
lmao ... sure kid ...

You got me beat ... lmao; you sure do ..

Old 06-29-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao ... sure kid ...

You got me beat ... lmao; you sure do ..
We are to assume that someone really believes something is, "Fear, Ignorance, Lust & Delusion joined", and they go to an internet forum for that, and rail against it every day, insulting it in every way...but then they tell you your contention they are fighting against it is "a strawman", and others ask, "WHO is fighting against it?".
That's when you know that...What we have here, is a failure to communicate...Some men you just can't reach.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
We are to assume that someone really believes something is, "Fear, Ignorance, Lust & Delusion joined", and they go to an internet forum for that, and rail against it every day, insulting it in every way...but then they tell you your contention they are fighting against it is "a strawman", and others ask, "WHO is fighting against it?".
That's when you know that...What we have here, is a failure to communicate...Some men you just can't reach.
Do you ever, ever do anything besides complain about other posters and their posts? maybe try posting something positive for a change.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you ever, ever do anything besides complain about other posters and their posts? maybe try posting something positive for a change.
Yeah...from the guy that told other posters, "Personally I think people like you should have your license to breath revoked...You are not fit to be a member of the human race"...because of what they posted.
I put forth my own Theist Beliefs and the support of others to believe however they choose.
It's Y'all that bash and insult. Just look at the profile statements and pictures...many show up bashing Religion and Theism...and proceed to bash, interrogate, harass, and mock Believers, in every possible way.
You've been doing that for as long and as much as anyone in the history of this board.
I have just always called that out.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/43688759-post136.html
If I see someone committing a mugging, and I go give him a beat-down...that does not constitute me assaulting them. I'm defending, not attacking...countering, not leading.
Quit busting on the Believers in a nasty, insulting, mocking way...inquire about Beliefs with respect and decency.
If you don't like what you KNOW is written in the Holy Books (the most epic and prolific Books in the history of humankind), and adherents adopting those positions...state that in a decent, respectful manner, and then leave it at that.
In life, you have to deal with a lot you may not like. In this Country (the U S.), right now, there are things that are legal and permitted that people endorse & do, that I think is the most horrible, barbaric, evil things possible. But I am not on sites for it going off on those people that view it differently than me.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:02 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Yeah...from the guy that told other posters, "Personally I think people like you should have your license to breath revoked...You are not fit to be a member of the human race"...because of what they posted.
I put forth my own Theist Beliefs and the support of others to believe however they choose.
It's Y'all that bash and insult. Just look at the profile statements and pictures...many show up bashing Religion and Theism...and proceed to bash, interrogate, harass, and mock Believers, in every possible way.
You've been doing that for as long and as much as anyone in the history of this board.
I have just always called that out.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/43688759-post136.html
If I see someone committing a mugging, and I go give him a beat-down...that does not constitute me assaulting them. I'm defending, not attacking...countering, not leading.
well, gld, we are "fighters". But what we see is that some of the major players (not all) here are more then willing to push others but then cry when it comes back. We have word for them where I grew up.

That being said. We will fight and we do fight. S and P are two good examples of people that are very limited in what they actually can un pack. They have zero issue with poking people, especially when they they think they have the upper hand. But they clearly have nothing when the person isn't bothered, even a little bit, by the poke. We just are not that impressed when they cry for help and run behind their friends.

But still ... me, you, and mystic ... can be abrasive. But I think that's because they never really showed anything but fight religion, private DM's, and they don't need evidence for their beliefs but others do. And I see no real reason to even give them any. They are shallow, hostile, and dangerous. Out side of fight religion and no deity ... they are almost always incomplete.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, gld, we are "fighters". But what we see is that some of the major players (not all) here are more then willing to push others but then cry when it comes back. We have word for them where I grew up.

That being said. We will fight and we do fight. S and P are two good examples of people that are very limited in what they actually can un pack. They have zero issue with poking people, especially when they they think they have the upper hand. But they clearly have nothing when the person isn't bothered, even a little bit, by the poke. We just are not that impressed when they cry for help and run behind their friends.

But still ... me, you, and mystic ... can be abrasive. But I think that's because they never really showed anything but fight religion, private DM's, and they don't need evidence for their beliefs but others do. And I see no real reason to even give them any. They are shallow, hostile, and dangerous. Out side of fight religion and no deity ... they are almost always incomplete.
There is no other way for them to actually deal with your standards...***What comports with observations?/What provides a mechanism?/What helps to make predictions?/What is the most reliable?***...other than to insult & run away, cry for help, or huddle together & DM.
I don't know if they will actually ever engage on a reasonable, serious, and consistent level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality