Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes! Preach the News of Atheism!
All the praise & glory to NOGODAH!
I wouldn't call that preaching or news but a simple summation of what it means to be an atheist...

No praise, no glory. Just what it is, for those not so unable to accept that simple creed for what it is. No more and no less, but I know how you love the drama, so as you insist of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Can I get an "amen" pastor learnme.

That was great.
Thanks, but I think you need to review the definition of pastor...

"A minister in charge of a Christian church or congregation."

That ain't me.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Some Atheists are the most prolific proselytizers for their Nonbelief Ideology as any I've ever seen for any theology.
They "thump" it just as hard as any ever...and the interweb & forums like this are their version of going door-to-door.
Just look at some here...they are pretty much Atheist versions of Fred Phelps, only more disrespectful, insulting, and nasty toward differing beliefs than him.
If you say so, and of course here we go with more of the drama, but...

Expressing opinion, no matter how often or how confidently, is not proselytizing. Not necessarily anyway, and since you seem to be referring to me (?), I can assure you I have no expectation of converting anyone here. I've started more than a few threads and commented quite often about how opinions don't change in this forum and how I wouldn't want to shake a person's faith even if I could.

To me this is simply exchange of opinion about the topic at hand, and for me that includes the reason, logic and rationale that supports an opinion. My opinion.

Stop playing the role of drama queen, and maybe we can stay focused on the facts of these matters. That or think again is all I can say.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
My tolerance for differing Beliefs goes way back: https://www.city-data.com/forum/32288628-post138.html
The fact that for you it's a question of tolerance, tells me you have too much emotion revolving around the simple evaluation of one belief vs another. Amidst the myriad of differing beliefs and reasons for them, I simply judge as best I objectively can, and/or in the context of that atheist creed. I don't tolerate all beliefs as a result, because there are many beliefs that are harmful to others. Still to this day there are many beliefs that cause too much friction, conflict and even violence between people. Atheism doesn't cause those sorts of problems.

It's wrong-thinking, abuse of power and want of power that causes the problems.

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-09-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-09-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
It was a great statement of belief about god self help intro for sure.

Joel Olsteen level stuff.
I'm almost tempted to ask what you mean here, but my critical thinking has taught me perhaps best to leave this one alone as well...

Old 07-09-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wouldn't have pointed back to a post where my topic was a plucked chicken.
I wonder if anyone has anything a bit better related to the topic of this thread and perhaps even informative. As in something we all don't already know about the relationship between science and religion...

Old 07-09-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
No more true or false than you salty.

The trick is how do we know who is just trying to do the best they can with what we have and those that have an agenda?
Simple. It's called judgement, and we're all called upon to judge as we will given the best of our abilities...

None of us will necessarily judge in the same way or necessarily draw the same conclusions, but we all know who tends to make more sense to us than others. We all know who does the better job of explaining why (far as we are concerned). That's as far as it goes in a forum like this one.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Bias is such a natural thing, that I presume it in most opinions by everyone.

The good point you make here is that this is just a debate. I remember so many bible school stories about the great suffering of the early christians. Things like 3,000 Christian martyrs dying in the Colosseum, not to mention good old crucifixion. And then there's the debates here. LOL. Perhaps there should be an 11th commandment: Remember that sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you (and after all, the most powerful being in the history of the universe is on your side and protecting you).
I am tempted to develop a test that measures the degree of bias that affects someone's thinking. There is bias in all reporting, opinion, but the degree of bias and/or confirmation bias can range significantly from one person to another. One source vs another...

I have a friend, for example, who stopped watching sports when athletes began making political statements before the start of games. Like when Kaepernick took a knee. Won't read any news other than Fox News and reads only opinion pieces published by known self-described right-wing organizations. Won't have anything to do with anything Hollywood or any source of what he believes to be left leaning.

I make a point of exposing myself to all news and opinion no matter from what side of the political spectrum. I purposely review the Fox News website every morning, along with a good many other news sites. As part of a process I like to call "triangulating for the truth."

Now I ask you, who is the one more biased and/or suffering the most from confirmation bias?

Me or my friend?

Extrapolate that difference as it applies to all Americans of voting age, and what have we got?

What I would call a very significant difference (and problem) with respect to how all too many people prefer their own mental silo rather than exposure to what truly is the truth about what matters.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:00 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wonder if anyone has anything a bit better related to the topic of this thread and perhaps even informative. As in something we all don't already know about the relationship between science and religion...
The primary relationship between science and religion is that science is investigating the phenomenon that is the object of religion. This is why the less rational religious beliefs are in constant retreat into the decreasing gaps in scientific knowledge. IMO, the gaps will decrease until science learns enough to merge with revised religious beliefs.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Atheism is a response to religious claims, so if the religious did not use the internet to spread lies and misinformation, we would not need to respond. All you are saying is any religious woo goes, but atheists should just be quiet, because you are so tweaked that we can rationally show the problems of religions. There is a cure for that, get better evidence.

And you are free to quote any posts of people who are more disrespectful, insulting, and nasty toward differing beliefs. But, it must be a first post that is more disrespectful, insulting, and nasty toward differing beliefs. Not a response to fundamentalism, not a response to childish idiots who start fights they can not handle, an actual initial post that is simply just more disrespectful, insulting, and nasty toward differing beliefs.

Because if you can not post the data, that means you are inventing facts just to bash, insult, and rail against atheists.
I generally tend to agree with you, and I think most of us can see who is posting facts and sound reason as opposed to all the rest of the ongoing nonsense, but I would not agree that atheism is a response to religious claims. Not for me anyway...

Just like science is not a response to religious claims. For me atheism is simply what I must conclude with respect to the existence of a god given all there is to consider and evaluate along those lines. Even if there was no religion, I would still be an atheist given all I can establish with respect to the truth about the existence of a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality