Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 AM

23,123 posts, read 10,422,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post

Do yourself a favor stay away from organized religion. It’s all created by some wing nut and followed by cukold spineless gutless people.

Takes way more guts than you will ever know, but I find your post rather sad instead of insulting, I would sure hate to have your outlook on other humans, and I wonder what must have happened to you that you have now found yourself in such a sad state. Who hurt you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 11:24 AM

75 posts, read 37,462 times
The concept of God and religion in general are products of autistic minds

Old 05-25-2021, 12:20 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em3ry View Post
The single-mindedness of your trollish posts is more indicative of autism than belief in God or religion.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:28 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times
Quote:
Belief in god is an evolutionary thing.

Self delusion is evolutions tasty little antidepressant.

Amen

Old 05-25-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The single-mindedness of your trollish posts is more indicative of autism than belief in God or religion.
do you want me to explain it to you? Autistic people have trouble understanding the concept of emergence. They are told that certain things are just right or wrong. (civilized or uncivilized). this is an emergent phenomena that they cannot understand. In their minds where there are laws there must be a law giver. So they invent a supreme being to explain why certain things are right or wrong.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:10 PM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:
do you want me to explain it to you? Autistic people have trouble understanding the concept of emergence. They are told that certain things are just right or wrong. (civilized or uncivilized). this is an emergent phenomena that they cannot understand. In their minds where there are laws there must be a law giver. So they invent a supreme being to explain why certain things are right or wrong.
Don't stop. I'm an autistic person. Well, I'm on the autism spectrum. How would you relate your statement that we "invent a supreme being to explain why certain things are right or wrong" to my autism, bearing in mind that I am an atheist?

I'm not saying you are wrong but perhaps you paint with too broad a brush. I was raise under the Lutheran banner and while it was kinda obvious that Martin Luther had 'issues', I learned recently just how serious his issues were. Think along the lines of burning witches at the stake.

Anyway, as a person on the autism spectrum, I'm rather fond of asking for substantiation for claims like for example your claim that autistic folks invent supreme beings. Where exactly did you come by the knowledge? And how exactly do you know how autistic people think, feel and operate? How do you come to the conclusion that "Autistic people have trouble understanding the concept of emergence"?

Old 05-25-2021, 11:15 PM

are you autistic or do you have aspergers? they are 2 different things

Old 05-26-2021, 11:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
As I have noted almost endlessly in the Forum, the only reason believers "believe" is because they lust for the eternal life promised them if they throw all rationality (i.e "believe) out the window. Their fear of mortality, and their abject cowardice, moves them.

As an atheist, I have accepted mortality, and understand that the only thing that give life value is it's limited "supply".

It is interesting to note, however, that believes seem to do all in their power to avoid death even though they profess to believe heaven is just on the other side of the alive/dead transition.

Fear does horrible things to one's judgement.
I'm not in any spiritual fear, nor are most of the believers on here. I have no "lust" for eternal life. Mortality is just fine with me. I won't go to extreme measures to "avoid death".

I chose to believe because it is true, IMO. So far, hasn't really "done" anything for me. Still waiting.

Oh, I do feel guilty a lot! I believe in many things I don't necessarily like. That's for sure! Facts are not feelings...

Old 05-27-2021, 12:43 AM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:
I'm going to try again. Would you care to justify this statement please?

To answer your question, yes, I have Asperger's. So did Mozart, Newton and Tesla among others, or so they say and I believe it from what I know of them. Now if you had said "The concept of God and religion in general are products of Asperger's minds" I would has said "OK, I can see that as being a possibility" but you didn't. You said 'autistic minds' and then you said that autism and Asperger's are two different things. See my confusion?

I want to keep this in line with the OP, that being; "Submitting to God’s will — as an atheist I finally get it!"

Overt to you, em3ry.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
wow, just wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality