Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 05:35 AM

35 posts, read 10,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't overthink it. We ONLY control how we respond to "whatever" happens in our lives.
I agree with both your points if you are trying to say that we cannot control the way we are treated based on our well controlled behaviours. However just something to think about, what happens in our lives involves things which we may not be able to do that we would have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 02:17 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Not trying to burst any bubbles here, but we are not in control of what happens to us, but we ARE in control of how we respond to what happens to us. It is the latter that determines our physical fate, but more importantly, determines our spiritual character and ultimate fate in the next stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
That just doesn't make sense Mystic. doesn't a response to what has uncontrollably happened to us set up another uncontrolled thing that happens to us or to someone else?
Quote:
Don't overthink it. We ONLY control how we respond to "whatever" happens in our lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
but that response can sends someone else life out of control.
Try to take this in without overthinking the possibilities. The only things we control are our responses and our intentions and desired outcomes. If we are NOT intending to send anyone else's life out of control, it is NOT on us.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:43 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,922,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Interestingly, I realized this when I was reading about who fears death the most — the religious or the atheists. According to one study I read (I will try to dredge it up if I have time later), the people who feared death the least were the extremely religious and the atheists, while those who feared it the most tended to be in the middle of the religiosity spectrum. I wonder if this is partly because both the extremely religious and the atheists have completely submitted themselves to God’s will, the only difference being that, while the religious understand this attitude as submitting to God’s will, the atheist sees it as submitting to a deterministic reality.

Thoughts?
Yes, it appears you got it just about right. God's will is whatever happens here. Those who have strong faith (I equate these to your extremely religious) trust that whatever transpires in their lives comes from the hand of God (though it may involve sin, such as when criminals stole all of Job's livestock) and that ultimately, though it may not seem that way at that moment it will work to their good.

For your fear of death example, when I was an atheist I didn't fear it because I considered it to be not existing anymore; as in, I didn't know what was going on before I was born so how could I fear what I won't know--death would be the same kind of thing as the state prior to existing. Now as a believer, I have a admittedly sinful longing for death (since while I'm still here God has a purpose for me, so I am in a way denigrating that); with my husband's recent unexpected passing life really has lost a lot of what it meant to me before. Things do not seem very joyful. This world is just a mess with the evil one's constant influence (of course it has always been that way; it would appear that you just get used to the one level you're at when you get to a certain age and then for it to get way out of line with that--that's the part you just can't take anymore). So I long now for my heavenly home and have absolutely no fear of death. Look forward to it, rather.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:29 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
I would invite you to visit the sites that people share their life after death experiences.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:42 AM

299 posts, read 103,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I grew up in a conservative Lutheran (Missouri Synod) church and home. In college for a while I participated in a fundamentalist, born-again group. One of the things I could never understand was how do you submit to God’s will? How do you know the difference between God’s will, your will, your pastor’s will, and society’s will (conventional wisdom/what you “should” do)? Absolutely no one could tell me how to figure that out. At the most I got platitudes like: “You need to open your heart and mind to God and then you will know.” But I didn’t know. It was always a complete muddle.

Since I deconverted many years ago, I have become a deterministic atheist. That’s right — I don’t believe in free will. Or rather I believe that the experience of free will is a very strong illusion. But recently I realized that there is really little difference between my position and that of the strictest, most deterministic Calvinism (without the hell or heaven). Now I know that submitting to God’s will is merely “submitting to reality” “accepting what is” which we all do anyway (more or less reluctantly).

Interestingly, I realized this when I was reading about who fears death the most — the religious or the atheists. According to one study I read (I will try to dredge it up if I have time later), the people who feared death the least were the extremely religious and the atheists, while those who feared it the most tended to be in the middle of the religiosity spectrum. I wonder if this is partly because both the extremely religious and the atheists have completely submitted themselves to God’s will, the only difference being that, while the religious understand this attitude as submitting to God’s will, the atheist sees it as submitting to a deterministic reality.

Thoughts?

Did you know that, as a deterministic atheist, you can still be a Cristian without agreeing with the statement "God exists"?

I know, sounds contradictory - - but it isn't. Try a Christian theologian named Paul Tillich for a brilliant philosophical analysis of God and existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality