Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 06:15 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,627,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Treat others as you want to be treated, that is, equality for all. Which according to you is not possible.

And that religions was founded on love each other as long as they are in the club, and in the correct version of that club.
That is correct...it is not possible. That often miserable & malevolent human nature, ya see.
I obviously hold the philosophy of The Golden Rule in great regard...but human nature corrupts the best application of that concept.
The attitude and character of many people is very negative.
They will even lie to try to put what they don't prefer in a bad light.
Like what you do here relative to Christianity. It was founded on a philosophy of Love Each Other...including your enemies who you are supposed to love also, and even bless. You are to "turn the other cheek", "do for the least of these", "do not avenge yourself", "be peaceful to all", etc.
But you note the human character failing that causes people to fall short of that and claim it was also founded upon "as long as they are in the club, and in the correct version of that club"...which is not true.
You are the Poster Child for that failing...since the Religious (especially Christians) are "not in your club" by holding a similar view, you insult & mock...indicative of your contempt, instead of blessings and love for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 06:23 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,590,472 times
Again, what is wrong with mocking something that harms people.

You know, The non-might people.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,627,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Then you'd have to mock pretty much everything.
Very few things are all "good", and never harm.
Of course...very few things are all "bad" and never help.
I did not say I thought it was "wrong"...I just noted that's how it is. In fact...I noted that human nature was so commonly miserable and malevolent, that a Universal vibe of Love Each Other was not possible.
The miserable attitude many put forth is standard.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:15 AM

16,629 posts, read 4,912,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That is correct...it is not possible. That often miserable & malevolent human nature, ya see.
I obviously hold the philosophy of The Golden Rule in great regard...but human nature corrupts the best application of that concept.
The attitude and character of many people is very negative.
They will even lie to try to put what they don't prefer in a bad light.
Like what you do here relative to Christianity.
Ironically you are the one lying here, by omission. The earliest Christian texts also damned those not in the club, from Paul and Clement to the later gospels.

Quote:
It was founded on a philosophy of Love Each Other...including your enemies who you are supposed to love also, and even bless. You are to "turn the other cheek", "do for the least of these", "do not avenge yourself", "be peaceful to all", etc.
But you note the human character failing that causes people to fall short of that and claim it was also founded upon "as long as they are in the club, and in the correct version of that club"...which is not true.
Come back when you have read the Bible. Paul was quite clear on what he thought of those teaching a different gospel to his, as did Clement, and their texts were used in the allegorical gospels which also made it clear what would happen to those outside of the club.

Also, things like turn the other cheek are theological, and has nothing to do with love and peace. It comes from Paul's teaching about not getting distracted by battles outside of Christianity, the Christians should be preparing for the end of times.

Quote:
You are the Poster Child for that failing...since the Religious (especially Christians) are "not in your club" by holding a similar view, you insult & mock...indicative of your contempt, instead of blessings and love for them.
And again you resort to lying. I mock your (and other) bad arguments, and hold fundamentalism in contempt, otherwise you will find it difficult to find a post of mine that actually insults or mocks religion. It may be that some theists can not handle uncomfortable facts, and find them insulting and mocking, but it is not my problem the truth hurts.

You are projecting your contempt, you even attack those defending freedom of religion.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:58 AM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

They would rather stick their fingers in their ears.

When the christian world stops fighting amongst itself, and stops fighting other religions, then I'll believe they have principles worth adhering to.

I didn't live in the Virginia town mentioned in the following article, but the Episcopal Church just 3 blocks from my townhouse in Falls Church was a part of the fight. It really was quite entertaining.

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/10/15035...iscopal-battle

Old 05-30-2021, 09:14 AM

29,428 posts, read 9,611,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The post LearnMe wrote that you responded to was talking about voting. What has this response got to do with voting?
AA simply can't resist inserting his favorite drama about "bashing" religion. Without that drama, AA can hardly comment about anything else let alone focus on the matter at hand, objectively. Always got to be the drama queen...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-30-2021 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-30-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I noted "modern times" and "right this minute"...you cite how Galileo was treated.
The edicts and doctrine of some Theology, that was authored by people that thought that's how things should be and the penalty for noncompliance...is no more or less valid then some Penal Code, Constitution, Regulatory Rules, etc that was authored by people that thought that's how things should be and the penalties for noncompliance.
There is no "truth" as to what is "right" or "wrong"...that is subjective.
Stripping the freedom, liberty, and possessions from millions, for extended periods of time, because they choose to use intoxicating substances may be viewed as cruel, barbaric, and evil...and some other group may think our Government should be militarily compelled to stop that. The same as we took military action against other Countries for how they treated their population based upon whatever set of "rules" they went by.
Y'all just have some issue with the concept of "Religious Doctrine" as the arbitrary metric...when actually, it is no better or worse than any other.
I give the examples I do to show that Non-Religion will mess with the Religious for being that way, just as much as the Religious will mess with the Non-Religious (or differing Religious) for taking the position they do.
Actually...many secular penal codes are very similar to Theological based codes...and have many of the same "rules". Y'all just have a allergy to Religion, and get all messed up over it.
Add to the "Moral Rules" list: Do not view negatively or get on the case others for holding a differing idea of how things should be, or the basis for those ideas...as everyone is unique in that regard and no two think exactly alike about everything.
So yin and yang all over again? "Is what it is?" A bunch of "good, bad and ugly" from all sides? I really struggle to understand what you are explaining along these lines that we don't all know, but just to be clear about where I'm coming from...

Just because something is subjective does NOT mean people can't judge right from wrong, better over worse. Or shouldn't do so. Just because there may be people who think it is okay to beat a dog from a subjective standpoint does NOT mean people are not called upon to judge regardless. Objectively. To judge right from wrong.

The only issue I have is not as you describe. It's a lack of objectivity that I take issue with. The overwhelming confirmation bias you always display when it comes to only seeing one side of the issue rather than the complete picture. At a minimum, none of us need a lesson about all the good, bad and ugly that exists. We make progress because there are people who display good sound judgement rather than throw up their hands because judgement is subjective. I mean get a clue already...

Old 05-30-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Atheism is finally assuming their obvious role as a Religion!
Kinda like the Atheist Church services they have now.
Those that give to those charities probably say The Atheist Creed beforehand:

An Atheist's Creed

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.

The power of NOGODAH compels you!
That's great!
Creed reads pretty well to me. Thanks. I suppose some might consider this more religion "bashing" in customary drama queen style, but I don't read too much here that reads other than peace promoting and to please "live and let live."

What's not to like objectively speaking? Or even subjectively?

Right! "The power of NOGODAH compels you!" What would we do without the high drama???

Old 05-30-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, I see.
That has always worked so well throughout human history.
I wonder why there's so much turmoil? Could it be that the concept of, "Compromise or get off to yourselves so there is peace", is almost impossible to implement in Reality?
Do you only see turmoil? Nothing better? No progress? If it isn't complete peace there is no peace? Glass pretty much always more than half empty...

Is that it?

Old 05-30-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by em3ry View Post
we also aren't bashing each other over the head with clubs or dragging women around by their hair anymore

it isnt implemented because we aren't yet fully civilized. The solution is to become more and more civilized.
Right, and what I like to describe as the "slow maturing of man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality