Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 04:52 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,137,315 times

Advertisements

Pretty simple but there will be varied opinions about what each rule looks like which will be enough to cause friction even within a group. "Moral" historically meant "customs, disposition" and not necessarily "good."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 08:18 AM

3,821 posts, read 1,361,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I would be careful with defer to superiors.
Trust but verify.
True, but I find it interesting that Jesus even acquiesced to Pilate.
(John 19:10-11)

Old 05-20-2021, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 4,712 times
Quote:
I would be careful with defer to superiors.

Trust but verify.
Alot of people have problems with that one. I think it's because spirituality is about freedom and breaking free from the boundaries of society and the control of others. I have the same issue with it. Noone is higher than me or lower than me, humans are equal. I agree that there should be laws etc to keep countries safe, but not to see those who make or enforce those as higher than anyone, and for them to be voted for democratically.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
True, but I find it interesting that Jesus even acquiesced to Pilate.
(John 19:10-11)
Because the base statement is valid. Listen to people that know. That's is a sound base. The issue is how do we apply it. I am not a history expert, but if I took over a land I would be like "Govern your own, just pay up.".

Old 05-20-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat1 View Post
Alot of people have problems with that one. I think it's because spirituality is about freedom and breaking free from the boundaries of society and the control of others. I have the same issue with it. Noone is higher than me or lower than me, humans are equal. I agree that there should be laws etc to keep countries safe, but not to see those who make or enforce those as higher than anyone, and for them to be voted for democratically.
I call it "Professional". They are not better, smarter, or owed anything. They understand that life is a gift, not a birth right. They are diligent, courteous, and use discretion. Always focused on the how the individual is cared for while that individual services the group.

Summed up ... pay an honest day wages for an honest days work. Charge an honest day pay for an honest days work. The problem is we are just a smart ape. For now.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,094,900 times
Quote:
I call it "Professional". They are not better, smarter, or owed anything. They understand that life is a gift, not a birth right. They are diligent, courteous, and use discretion. Always focused on the how the individual is cared for while that individual services the group.

Summed up ... pay an honest day wages for an honest days work. Charge an honest day pay for an honest days work. The problem is we are just a smart ape. For now.
My father-in-law from my first marriage had way of summing up someone he approved of: "He uses people right." Meaning they could be relied upon to be fair and honest.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 PM

10,941 posts, read 5,916,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Pretty simple but there will be varied opinions about what each rule looks like which will be enough to cause friction even within a group. "Moral" historically meant "customs, disposition" and not necessarily "good."
That explains a lot. I had wondered about the meaning of 'moral' and the origins of 'moral values'. Now it makes sense - including the wicked morals one encounters in certain holy books. As some defenders of those ancient morals say "one has to view it in context of the times". They are right. That doesn't excuse them of trying to apply those same ancient morals in modern times.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:30 PM

11,134 posts, read 5,763,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And apparently, they weren't bestowed by a god or listed in a "holy" book.

Oliver Scott Curry, a senior researcher at Oxford's Institute for Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology, studied ethnographic accounts of ethics from 60 societies, across over 600 sources and published his findings in 2019.

The universal rules of morality are:

1.- Help your family
2.- Help your group
3.- Return favours
4.- Be brave
5.- Defer to superiors
6.- Divide resources fairly
7.- Respect others' property

He and his team found that these seven cooperative behaviors were considered morally good in 99.9% of cases across cultures.

I can only quibble with #5. Titles and/or net worth don't automatically indicate superiority.

Link to full article.
I don’t see these as rules of morality. That is badly described. These are all behaviors, not moral rules.

None of the above speak to integrity, or honesty, or honor, or trust, etc. these are just social behaviors, not moral rules. Yes, these would make for good neighbors, by and large, but there is so much more to being moral than this short list.

A person could fulfill all of these behaviors and still be selfish, still steal from and con strangers, still gossip and spread lies about people outside their family and group. There is far more missing from this list that makes up moral people who encourage strong, good working societies, than this list. This is nothing more than a good start. I would say it is missing far more important attributes than it includes.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:44 AM

16,633 posts, read 4,918,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don’t see these as rules of morality. That is badly described. These are all behaviors, not moral rules.

None of the above speak to integrity, or honesty, or honor, or trust, etc. these are just social behaviors, not moral rules. Yes, these would make for good neighbors, by and large, but there is so much more to being moral than this short list.

A person could fulfill all of these behaviors and still be selfish, still steal from and con strangers, still gossip and spread lies about people outside their family and group. There is far more missing from this list that makes up moral people who encourage strong, good working societies, than this list. This is nothing more than a good start. I would say it is missing far more important attributes than it includes.
Except you are talking about in group / out group morality. Even slave holders were moral to people in their group, just as biker gangs are. When you apply the rules to society instead of your in groups, you have a better morality that benefits every one, including yourself.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:36 AM

"sharing", is an under appreciated notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality