Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 10:32 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I thought atheism was just laying out science data, compare storylines connecting the data, and seeing what "beliefs" seem to make more sense. What god/religious claims line up to the standard model better.

I had no idea that suppressing any science data that give believers any information they can use to form a rational belief is was even a thing. That more rational application of science data to help religions grow was a strawman against changing society for the better.

That we should not question atheist because its divisive and detrimental to the fight against religion. In a non political forum none the less.
Your suggestion "we should not question" strikes me as rather ironic, because it is curiosity and the propensity to question that I think atheists tend to share. Somehow your comment reminded me of something I read that described atheists in a way I thought was worth remembering, and I thought I had stashed it in my Remember file, but I discovered I had not kept it after all. So I did a quick search for where I thought I had come across these words. Found it! And guess who posted this in another thread!?!

An Atheist's Creed

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 10:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well okay. As you wish and insist of course, and maybe the many hours Americans watch TV is the same sort of devotion you're referring to. Devotion to the TV, or again is it simply entertainment, and what in the name of your heartburn difference does it make?

If it were not for your devotion to posting all the comments you do lately, we wouldn't have as much to work with when it comes to theology. Wouldn't have near as much entertainment!

BTW, we can all see the numbers for each person who participates in this forum. In total. On any given day. Never paid any of that much attention before you latched onto doing the counts and working the averages for others, but I don't think your point is going very far. No one is changing their "devotion" to whatever they want to do because of you.

Again just a suggestion, try addressing the topic of the thread. Or is that just not what you are devoted to doing here?
"Smartphone/Tablet/Computer/Television Devotion"!!
All bow before the Tech Altar! The "tithe" is astronomical, but you will gladly pay it.
All praise The Exalted Gods, "BGates"--"SJobs"--"MZuckerberg--"SPichai"--"JDorsey"...and the lesser Gods I-Phone, Android, Intel, AMD, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Samsung, Sony, etc.
The NewAge Gods and places of worship/devotion.
You had to perform an "Act of Worship" just to get to this site.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
"Smartphone/Tablet/Computer/Television Devotion"!!
All bow before the Tech Altar! The "tithe" is astronomical, but you will gladly pay it.
All praise The Exalted Gods, "BGates"--"SJobs"--"MZuckerberg--"SPichai"--"JDorsey"...and the lesser Gods I-Phone, Android, Intel, AMD, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Samsung, Sony, etc.
The NewAge Gods and places of worship/devotion.
You had to perform an "Act of Worship" just to get to this site.
Just when I thought the drama couldn't get better!

And to think all because Adam took that one bite of that damn apple!

Old 06-05-2021, 10:51 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It takes you 20 minutes or so to write a post??
What are you typing with... your big toe?
Some people take longer to formulate cognitive thoughts than others.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Your suggestion "we should not question" strikes me as rather ironic, because it is curiosity and the propensity to question that I think atheists tend to share. Somehow your comment reminded me of something I read that described atheists in a way I thought was worth remembering, and I thought I had stashed it in my Remember file, but I discovered I had not kept it after all. So I did a quick search for where I thought I had come across these words. Found it! And guess who posted this in another thread!?!

An Atheist's Creed

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.
Again, we would have to look at actual claims about this topic to see who is actually a "free thinker." or in your case, how cemented, and where they fall on the ten facts list. Specifically, for you and I, we would hone in on lack of belief in everything said to see just how rational a thought process" that is.

deity
living system (keep it empirical, just earth)
non living system (keep it empirical, just earth)
deny it all because I am a free thinker.

what one is more consistent with observation? scientifically speaking that is? your emotional post above is nice and all, I even think my heart warmed, but the reality of the situation is completely different than what we want. In fact, we have to figure a way to remove ourselves and our self justifying bias.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Again, we would have to look at actual claims about this topic to see who is actually a "free thinker." or in your case, how cemented, and where they fall on the ten facts list. Specifically, for you and I, we would hone in on lack of belief in everything said to see just how rational a thought process" that is.

deity
living system (keep it empirical, just earth)
non living system (keep it empirical, just earth)
deny it all because I am a free thinker.

what one is more consistent with observation? scientifically speaking that is? your emotional post above is nice and all, I even think my heart warmed, but the reality of the situation is completely different than what we want. In fact, we have to figure a way to remove ourselves and our self justifying bias.
Time for me to remove myself from this forum for today...

Meanwhile, I think you may be too hopeful about much in the way of expectation from this forum that involves anything other than the exchange of opinion. I'm not sure it's a question of being a "free thinker" as much as just being a thinker period. Also to include reflection, as to whether or not our thinking is rational and as objective as possible. To make that effort anyway.

None of us will necessarily agree who is better or worse in these regards. We simply post our comments, thoughts, such as they are, and all are free to judge as they will. There is no impartial judge or jury here we can rely upon to perhaps help us with any of that judgement.

I just call 'em the way I see 'em in any case. No matter who agrees with me or not. Just like everyone else does I think...

Old 06-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:

It's actually Eve's fault. She tempted poor, innocent Adam.
He just "went along, to get along".
Also...since they were perfect...think of how hot & beautiful Eve musta been!
Probably told him he would have to sleep on the other side of the Garden if he gave her any grief about it.
The 1st Husband--Wife spat! And it messed up the whole world!
Eve will hafta spend a few thousand years with me...so I can teach her how to stop listening to conniving snakes.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:12 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

Was that a real apple or an allegorical apple?
Was that a real Adam or an allegorical Adam?
In GldnRule's world, it could be either, depending on how he feels that day.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Was that a real apple or an allegorical apple?
Was that a real Adam or an allegorical Adam?
In GldnRule's world, it could be either, depending on how he feels that day.
That is a lie. Which, from you, would figure.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:46 PM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Religion must not be very convincing. Are the majority of American just now realizing it’s just a fairy tale?

In 2020, 47% of U.S. adults belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque
Down more than 20 points from turn of the century
Change primarily due to rise in Americans with no religious preference

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx
I can never understand when Atheists bring this particular debate, it doesn't mean anything, belief in God has little to do with church attendance I would think.

I think if people got serious about God, they wouldn't go to church at all, but that is me.

Just saying, its neither here nor there, this is a brand new world, you could attend church on the interweb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality