Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Except this god of yours inspired it regret for creating the human mistake right in the front of is getting to heaven manual
Genesis 6:6
New International Version
6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.
Even loving parents often regret their tantrum-throwing toddler in his terrible twos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 08:39 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
We were (allegedly) made in His image.
Yup. When it says "God fashioned the likeness of man out of clay and made him in his own image", this is what was meant;

Then he 'breathed life into it'.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:56 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Except this god of yours inspired it regret for creating the human mistake right in the front of is getting to heaven manual

Genesis 6:6
New International Version
6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Even loving parents often regret their tantrum-throwing toddler in his terrible twos.
Do the parent hold their kids underwater until they die like your godthing did?

Old 06-02-2021, 04:13 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
You are overthinking it. Humans are God's children. Most loving parents do consider their children their "crowning achievement."
So were the dinosaurs.
Attached Thumbnails
Example of lunacy that shows that "god" isn't real-dino2.jpg  

Old 06-02-2021, 04:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Do the parent hold their kids underwater until they die like your godthing did?
did god do that?

where is your evidence of this abusive god thing?

Old 06-02-2021, 04:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
You are overthinking it. Humans are God's children. Most loving parents do consider their children their "crowning achievement."
yes, the only analogy that fits is that of a more "evolved" god thing doing the best it can with a less "evolved" animal species. Although I lack belief in even that.

Forcing us into a binary position of "bad OT bible god" or "nothing" (that they will claim is a strawman and not engage in a discussion on it for obvious reasons) is not even close to a reliable way to sort out beliefs.

I don't know of a good teaching practice that focuses solely on telling people they are wrong and no discussions on alternatives. On a compare and contrast level.

Maybe the great Phet can enlighten me.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:32 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
did god do that?

where is your evidence of this abusive god thing?
I presume he's talking about the great flood, as described in the holy book of the christian religion.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:22 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You presented your "troubling, supposedly contradictory, scenario", and asked, "How can that be?" Your usual..."If God is supposedly *perfect* why is His creation not *perfect*"?
So, I gave you the facts: The Bible is metaphorical and allegorical, not literal...and even if it was literal, it covers what God thinks & does 100%, by explaining that it is above our understanding, and God is Omnimax powered.
I told you the facts that answers your question and explained it.
If the Bible is metaphorical and allegorical then your premise is faulty from the get-go...if it is literal, then it contains the answer that God has Omnimax Power & his thoughts and ways are above ours.
Do you dispute those facts? If so, what is it you dispute?
Instead of your usual puerile insults...directly address with a formal rebuttal and argument to back it up.
You gave me nothing but a side-step.

To people who "think" like you, the bible is either literal or figurative depending entirely on the context, and which interpretation supports your current position at the current time. It's nothing but a flip flop/cop out for you guys. One minute it is literal, and the next it is figurative. So creationism under genesis, is just, in your mind, figurative? Just so you know, it is neither. It is FICTION.

You offer nothing, but think it is wisdom. It is comical.

I dispute everything that is proposed as fact that has to do with a god and all the trappings that spring therefrom. That is not to say there isn't a nugget of philosophical wisdom in the bible. There "may" be.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:23 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
One of the things that believers do (or don't do) is ignore obvious, HUGE disconnects between what they profess on one hand, and what they profess on the other. Dots they old to be true, but which not only can't be connected, but are in direct contravention to each other.

Well-known radio host Dennis Prager is a believer in the perfect, all knowing god of the bible. A god to wise and powerful as to have created the Universe and all that is in it, including ALL the laws of nature, all the way down to the forces that hold the various particles of atoms together.

Yet, in the next breath, he describes mankind, the crowning achievement of this "creator", as being deeply flawed!

Whoa Nelly, how can that be. Onmi-whatever creator that is infinitely-wise and powerful, and the best he can come up with is a deeply flawed mankind! Really!

The contradiction is immense to the point of infinity.

I do agree that mankind is deeply flawed, so it must be the other side of the contradiction that is fatally-flawed, i.e. that there is an omni-this and omni-that creator., It simply can't be both ways if one is in the least bit intellectually-honest (not a characteristic, however, properly associated with believers or believing).
I'm not sure about going around in these circles yet again, but what interests me as I see the topic of this thread that you post in the R&S forum is this...

Lots of people have expressed all manner of heartburn about people who "bash" religion in this forum, post comments that are not in keeping with the simple want to express belief in God, belief in their religion. They forever explain threads/comments not religious in nature (not altogether accepting and complimentary of religion) are not appropriate in this forum, so I would think they would not visit let alone comment in threads like this one.

It is interesting to me to see how those same people tend to migrate to threads like this one like moths to a flame. Why is that I wonder? Do they or do they not want to engage in this sort of exchange? Why religion does or does not make sense? If they don't, I have to assume they won't appear here. Let's see if it isn't the same usual characters again bathing in the same bath water they always find so inappropriate...

Old 06-02-2021, 11:24 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
You gave me nothing but a side-step.

To people who "think" like you, the bible is either literal or figurative depending entirely on the context, and which interpretation supports your current position at the current time. It's nothing but a flip flop/cop out for you guys. One minute it is literal, and the next it is figurative. So creationism under genesis, is just, in your mind, figurative? Just so you know, it is neither. It is FICTION.

You offer nothing, but think it is wisdom. It is comical.

I dispute everything that is proposed as fact that has to do with a god and all the trappings that spring therefrom. That is not to say there isn't a nugget of philosophical wisdom in the bible. There "may" be.
I think this post of yours is pretty much right on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality