Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 10:28 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
"Many" doesn't constitute "Put(ing) up. Nor does posting a link to an 11 year old post. Time for U to shut up.

BS means "Gldnrule"
I linked that post to show how long its been going on.
You claim & admit all the time that YOU are fighting Evil Religion...phetaroi just did...Y'all state that constantly!
So, what kinda dumbstuff are you even talking about claiming that's a lie?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 10:28 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I never said there was no truth. I said it’s not truth vs. dogma, as Salty said.
But there is truth vs dogma, and we're also called upon to know the difference. What is worthy to believe and what is dogma that is not, or perhaps I just don't understand what you are trying to explain here...

There is truth and then there is all the rest. Unfortunately, all the rest is an awful lot and all too often mistaken for truth...

Old 06-14-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
" How could be outside of time?"

Good God, there ain't no such thing as time, are you serial?

All of time is a little book you open that has a beginning and end, and you can put you finger on any page you want. I can look back a billion years if I want because there is no such thing as time

Time is an illusion of man, I agree with Einstine.
What are you incinerating? Can you be cereal?

Old 06-14-2021, 10:38 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I linked that post to show how long its been going on.
You claim & admit all the time that YOU are fighting Evil Religion...phetaroi just did...Y'all state that constantly!
So, what kinda dumbstuff are you even talking about claiming that's a lie?!

More lies.

I said Fight Evil. Two words. Count them, on your fingers if you have any. Here we go. Ready?

"Fight" word #1
"Evil" word #2

All joined up:

"Fight Evil".

Now, in company of all 3

Be Good
Do Good
Fight Evil

Now shut up and go away you proven liar (and put out your pants before you scorch your brain).

In closing:

Y'all" isn't a word.

Happy Trails and Fiery Landings

Old 06-14-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Who said it was an "experiment"?

God doesn't do things for HIM, He does things for US. Some understand...some don't.

How God could be outside of time is the same way that *you* could also be outside of what you create.

If you create a cake, aren't you outside of that cake?
I appreciate your effort and approach with respect to explaining all this. Something I consider very hard to explain in an intelligent, objective and rational manner, but if we can agree about how so much scripture underpins so much in the way of religion, and if we can agree about so much that obviously seems a result of flaws by man, then from where are we to get the confidence in the overall integrity of "what is written."

I imagine wiping the slate clean of all scripture, all religious notions, and simply begin with what a divine being would do. Of course that's all subject to imagination, but isn't it all? Distill away all that is not based on fact, all that is not proven in any reasonable or objective manner, and what have we got?

I really don't know from where or how you can have the confidence you do about such a god. What such a thing could be all about. I'm thinking a god could easily be inside a cake while outside too. Beyond your wildest imagination, and all suggestion that anyone can have a clue about such a thing is either kidding themselves or kidding others. Probably both, but if we allow ourselves to speculate beyond the facts and evidence we should rely upon to draw conclusion(s), then no doubt anything goes.

For some folks anyway. Lots and lots of folks, or I'm not sure religion would even exist...

Old 06-14-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have to agree with your sentiment here.

I'm not trying to eliminate religion. I'm trying to stop religion from influencing the lives of non-believers.
Y'all have some awfully lofty goals here...

I'm just always trying to separate truth from fiction, for myself. Test my theories, thoughts, convictions, so I can have the level of confidence about my opinions that I require to live my life the way I think I should. Or if the evidence requires, change my opinions and beliefs. Basically it's the ongoing process of validation. To counter the effects of confirmation bias. Why I bother to consider contrary opinion and the reasons for them.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
LOL! You think how we're living is "hell" NOW?
I always like to say "heaven and hell are both right here on Earth."

Old 06-14-2021, 11:04 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
More lies.

I said Fight Evil. Two words. Count them, on your fingers if you have any. Here we go. Ready?

"Fight" word #1
"Evil" word #2

All joined up:

"Fight Evil".

Now, in company of all 3

Be Good
Do Good
Fight Evil

Now shut up and go away you proven liar (and put out your pants before you scorch your brain).
In closing:
Y'all" isn't a word.
Happy Trails and Fiery Landings

Do you think Religion ("The biggest insult to mankind"--Salty Water) is Evil, or Good?

Old 06-14-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Do you think Religion ("The biggest insult to mankind"--Salty Water) is Evil, or Good?
After I signed off yesterday, I debated on whether I should start a thread titled, "Religion; all the good, bad and ugly." Then to invite anyone to provide all the good that one might associate with religion. I can certainly post at least a few comments citing the good. Then the bad...

Would be interesting to see how many folks could contribute either way, fairly and objectively! Then perhaps after collecting a good amount of the facts either way, to pass some judgement as to whether religion has been mostly for better or worse. How much better or worse.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:33 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:

First, my position on religion(s) is based on Truth vs Falsehood, NOT Good vs Evil.

Having said that, I feel some are good and some are evil. I would put Buddhism at the top of the good category, and islam at the top of a "different" category.

I don't think Christianity is Evil, certainly, in total, good. But, nevertheless, False.

That is why I am a passive atheist, and limit my expression on the subject to this forum. I would never advocate or support, for example, removing "In God we Trust" from our currency. It would be to turn our back on our heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality