Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 01:17 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
1) I do not want to convert the idiots, I want to explain why they are wrong so that others can see why they are wrong. I want people to make a choice based on valid points, not bad data. Take creationism for an example. It is being sold as backed by science, but when you look at the data, this is not true. Or the idea that atheists are evil. Or in my country in the 1930's, that Jews were bad people.

2) It is a good way for me to practice my English.
Well, one out of two ain't bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Science, a favorite point used by atheists. Let us go from that premise. So you are doing the very same thing many atheists accuse them of, proselytizing. I see many atheists saying theists should keep their views for themselves, yet you are not doing what you are preaching, correct?

Now, as far as science. Look at your words above: I want people to make a choice base on valid point, not bad data." You want them? Who are you do demand such thing on other people. For the sake of argument. Their data is not valid. OK, I got that. Are they happy living their lives? If so, let them believe what they want!

I have read books on creationism, a good theist teacher will say that he cannot prove the existence of a deity with certainty. He will say that he will show data suggests that it is possible of such force to exists. I believe he will use deductive reasoning. He may believe there is enough for him to believe in such spiritual force. Let him!
Thomas Jefferson wrote: It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods of no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
That is wisdom and maturity! He does not say "I want people...." He respect differing views. That is why he is an icon in American history.

Also, keep in mind that science is a topic that people keep learning from everyday in some form or another. New discoveries prove that past knowledge was wrong. In the past people said what present science data show was the correct one, only to find out later that it was not the case.
That is why I believe there is such as thing called open mind. Yes, right now something may not make sense. I keep my mind open to ideas that today may not make sense at all. Also, I take a close look to see if I am so close minded to the point that all I see is idiots in front of me.

As far as you second point, I am with you. Discussing is a good way to practice English. English is my second language. That part of why I like to discuss topics in this forums also. I share that need with you too.
You have a great day.
elamigo
First time I've ever read science described as a "point of view." Another good chuckle!

Seems you have picked up on the favorite point of view that argues how anything may be right, true or correct because of all the good examples of right, true and correct eventually being proven wrong, false or incorrect. Agreed that wisdom and maturity should help us to distinguish right from wrong and deal with backward folks in a mature, civil, reasonable and appropriate manner.

Either way, judge we must, or we don't choose right over wrong, better over worse and we go backwards instead of forward.

All the other nonsense is not really necessary, but what's the big deal either way? Especially in a forum like this one where no one is in the same place. All anonymous. Again, if you are here, you should know better what to expect. No one is going to change anyone here in any case. About as likely as changing someone's opinion, regardless the facts, reason or logic presented.

Is there a reason you sign off every comment with "You have a great day?" That's quite a few times even in the same day. Don't mean to be insulting or anything, and this too is of little importance, but like many of the comments I read in this forum, just curious to better understand...

Old 06-22-2021, 02:14 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I really have to wonder about any forum that prevents the questioning of anything...

Or anyone who expects all that much from these forums in the way of decorum. If you are here, you should know better, and if the heartburn is such or the skin too thin, really best you go elsewhere I think.
You don't have to wonder, because it's not that difficult to understand. The Christianity, Judaism, and Islam forums are about specific religions, and so the conversations should be kept to a discussion of those religions.

It's not as if those forums are only for adherents of those religions--obviously, since non-Christians post there as well--but the religions are based at their very core on the belief in an existing God. The existence or not of God can be and is argued right here in the general R&S forum.

There's enough dissent among Christians as to doctrines and practices and what Christianity means in the Christianity forum (and to a lesser degree in Judaism and Islam) to keep conversations going. It seems pointless to allow superfluous arguments over God's existence within the context of a religion that obviously believes God does exist.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You don't have to wonder, because it's not that difficult to understand. The Christianity, Judaism, and Islam forums are about specific religions, and so the conversations should be kept to a discussion of those religions.

It's not as if those forums are only for adherents of those religions--obviously, since non-Christians post there as well--but the religions are based at their very core on the belief in an existing God. The existence or not of God can be and is argued right here in the general R&S forum.

There's enough dissent among Christians as to doctrines and practices and what Christianity means in the Christianity forum (and to a lesser degree in Judaism and Islam) to keep conversations going. It seems pointless to allow superfluous arguments over God's existence within the context of a religion that obviously believes God does exist.
I didn't mean wondering about questions not related to the topic (although plenty of that happens here too)...

I meant within the topic (of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.), that any questions related to those subjects should be taboo. Of course I understand that people may only want to read or hear comments they prefer. That align with their own thinking, but I've never really understood the intolerance to read or hear anything else. That or not able to simply ignore what doesn't suit and concentrate on what does.

I also certainly understand the most ideal manner in which to discuss whatever the topic. Whatever a thread might be about, but as you note, there is always dissent one way or another. I'm always just a little dismayed about people who can't tolerate questions about their opinions or beliefs, though I know there are those who simply prefer not to entertain or consider alternative opinions and beliefs.

I just wonder about those who are the most intolerant is all...

Old 07-03-2021, 08:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Sounds like "god" was horrible at being a creator. Nothing but flaws, flaws, flaws.... But then, we all know in our brain, he doesn't exist.
Just HOW do you "know" that?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I occasionally argue with idiots because they pose a danger by voting and breeding. I may not change them but I get enough reps from lurkers who appreciate my efforts. That keeps me going.
So you believe that YOU know the absolute truth and that those who have different beliefs are somehow dangerous????

The dangerous ones are the ones who would force their own beliefs on others. People have a civil right to believe whatever they want to believe.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:36 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
So you believe that YOU know the absolute truth and that those who have different beliefs are somehow dangerous????

The dangerous ones are the ones who would force their own beliefs on others. People have a civil right to believe whatever they want to believe.
And there is absolutely nothing more indicative of "forcing your own beliefs on others" than to tell them they are wrong for holding their beliefs.
Even worse is if one calls them "deluded", "Kool-Aid drinkers", "morons", "hollow", etc...or bash and/or mock the Deities they worship, writings of the belief that are considered sacred, and the tenets of a Ideology.
Telling them you believe they are wrong to hold the differing view they have, is the ultimate way of "forcing your beliefs on others".

Old 07-04-2021, 04:19 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times
Quote:
Which part.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:25 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
The same way we know that Zeus isn't real.

The same way we know that leprechauns and Darth Vader aren't real.

The same way we know that there isn't an invisible undetectable plant on the opposite side of Sun from the Earth and inhabited by tyrannosaurs and orcs.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but no doubt someone's pointed out free will, bad choices, the fall, etc.
The disconnect of human perceptions versus those of a deity is a topic all sides and beliefs should probably tread lightly on.
I personally believe that things like ancient history and the nature of the universe are far more mysterious and complex than conventional thinking allows for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality