Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:58 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't get how anyone could feel any other way. Yet there are endless examples of others trying to dictate how people should think.
Well, I have spoken about how Miserable I was when I was a theist and involved in religions.

And I have spoken about how happy and content I am now as an Atheist.

It was pointed out to me in college, by a good friend, and long before I started therapy, or my own studies in medicine and psychology, that I existed as a depressed person (which I knew, but thought there was no help) and somehow existed with no self esteem. This was later revealed to be a result of fundamentalist parents and the influence of bad religion on my development.
Basically, I had to spend my life around miserable, negative, unhappy people growing up and was kept isolated from anyone who was not, to the point that I did not know that such individuals existed.

Now, while my mother has admitted her errors, and states that our involvement in the baptist church was her fault and was a huge mistake, my father, in his 80s still does not have a healthy outlook on life, still maintains a negative perspective, of which he told my sister last year, "I've been negative for 80 years, why should I change now?"

Point is, religion was the Nadir of my life, something I dreaded so much that for years, as a teen, I developed a psychosomatic illness that would start with fever, sneezing, coughing, pain every Sunday morning and then be mysteriously gone on Monday. This was effective at keeping me home on Sunday, as one who is Ill cannot attend church services. I used to spend the week dreading Sundays, because it meant one or two visits to church, it meant parents were more nasty than usual as a result, it meant the company of the lowest class of humans outside of perhaps the wrestling match crowd that could exist...
It meant the company of some of the most unintelligent people I have met, to this day. And professionally, we deal with mentally ill and often uneducated people. The church crowd was the worst....we had them all...flat earthers. creationists, science deniers, god-micromanagers and above all else, people who were so blank-off stupid that it was amazing that they could even function in life. (Of course, they had no friends or social life outside of church, which to me is pretty %#% sad.)
Worse of all, was the belief in Jesus imminent return (as in, he may be waiting outside when the doors open after this service) so no need to better oneself for the future, as there will likely be no future anyway....
This was particular damaging, as my father, who had a god complex and wanted to micro-manage every aspect of his kid's lives, would, at a whim, decide that his plans or interests should dictate abandonment of one goal which he had set and replacement with other goals. I do not have time or space to go into the examples, but his interference in high school for example, resulted in my non-graduation (along with severe untreated depression) and his interference in college, constantly dictating schedules , majors, etc, finally brought about a rift which can never be resolved, nor do I care for it to be anymore. Again, religious fundamentalist's thinking influenced his upbringing and led to his negative outlooks on life. The difference being that I realized, learned differently and moved on. SO Yes, Religion did negatively impact his life, although he has yet, in his 80s to fully realize it enough to change it.

I have raised my kids without god. They have been in churches, my oldest shares my love of photography and architecture and the youngest shares my interest in well performed music.....but they learned that there is NO EVIDENCE for the existence of a god, and resulting from my upbringing, understanding that religion can cause more harm than good, they have learned to foster interests and to choose their social support groups based on that. I see no reason to spend life hanging out with people (ie LOSERS) like the ones I have encountered in so many churches growing up and even as an adult. I want them to have the freedom that goes with atheism, and the morals that go with humanism ,and the outlook that is embodied with a humanitarian desire to leave themselves, the world and those around them better every day as a result of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM

40 posts, read 17,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Interesting stuff. I have always felt the most devout people are the most unhappy. And devout Christians and Muslims at the top of that list. Whereas less judgemental folks of faith are much more happy. I am an atheist and lead a very relaxed happy life. And I am fine with whatever anyone is. We should all have the free will and right to choose whatever makes us happy without being ridiculed for it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html

Atheists are just as happy as devout religious believers, a study said yesterday.
It confounded the long-accepted convention that confirmed Christians and the convinced followers of other faiths are happier and more content with their lives than those without religion.
But the researchers found that either a firm belief in God or strong atheist views are more likely to lead to a satisfied mind than a loose attachment to religious faith.

That could be true. God makes it rain on both the just and the unjust. (rain is blessings in the bible)

But there's a difference between a Hollywood star making lustful, etc movies and never mentioning religion or God (for they may believe in private) AND one who proclaims to be an atheist and be happy or not.

I saw a fella once, and in conversation he said he was an atheist. This person looked like they had no soul. I was looking right into his dead eyes!

Old 06-21-2021, 04:55 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
This isn't a us vs. them, religion vs no religion, matter.

Happiness for an individual depends on many factors (duh). It's dumb to say it ties into having religion, or not having religion.

This thread is a good example of many we see here. Set up a false / bogus premise, then knock it down. The ends can't justify the means under those conditions.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:42 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This isn't a us vs. them, religion vs no religion, matter.

Happiness for an individual depends on many factors (duh). It's dumb to say it ties into having religion, or not having religion.

This thread is a good example of many we see here. Set up a false / bogus premise, then knock it down. The ends can't justify the means under those conditions.
I sort of agree with you.
But then I think of something that someone I know wrote on their Facebook page the other day. I can't remember exactly how they said it, but essentially their post said that all the happiness in their life was a gift from god. Dumb or not, there are a lot of religionists who believe that kind of thinking about themselves.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-21-2021 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 07:48 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
What amazes me about this sort of thing is, someone actually paid for a study to find out who is happiest.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Yea, everybody is happier than me, I am always a miserable, all the time, damned sad state of affairs.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I sort of agree with you.
But then I think of something that someone I know wrote on their Facebook page the other day. I can't remember exactly how they said it, but essentially their post said that all the happiness in their life was a gift from god. Dumb or not, there are a lot of religionists who believe that kind of thinking about themselves.
Have you been watching the Olympic Trials?
Those that win/qualify...at their happiest moment...many (MOST) said, "I thank God"..."God is Great"..."All the glory to God". Looking up, with hands together in prayer. Looking up, kissing their fingers, touching their heart, then hands together in prayer raised up.
These are young people...most, college educated...in as happy a moment as can be.
https://youtu.be/nx85VFM8tbw
Check the interview at the end.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Have you been watching the Olympic Trials?
Those that win/qualify...at their happiest moment...many (MOST) said, "I thank God"..."God is Great"..."All the glory to God". Looking up, with hands together in prayer. Looking up, kissing their fingers, touching their heart, then hands together in prayer raised up.
These are young people...most, college educated...in as happy a moment as can be.
https://youtu.be/nx85VFM8tbw
Check the interview at the end.
I don't care. There is no evidence that their victories are at all attributable to god. Do you forget that communists also win at the Olympic trials? Have you forgotten the competitions that often centered on athletes from America and the USSR for many years? Many winners are not christians. And if god is making christians win...is that a fair competition?

Old 06-21-2021, 09:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't care. There is no evidence that their victories are at all attributable to god. Do you forget that communists also win at the Olympic trials? Have you forgotten the competitions that often centered on athletes from America and the USSR for many years? Many winners are not christians. And if god is making christians win...is that a fair competition?
The OP is about the "happiness" of Believers vs Nonbelievers.
I said nothing about the God they believe in having anything to do with them winning/qualifying...and they didn't either. That's something you came up with in your own head...and focused your whole post on.
I was noting that you had young, educated people, in as happy a moment as could be...referencing their faith in God.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The OP is about the "happiness" of Believers vs Nonbelievers.
I said nothing about the God they believe in having anything to do with them winning/qualifying...and they didn't either. That's something you came up with in your own head...and focused your whole post on.
I was noting that you had young, educated people, in as happy a moment as could be...referencing their faith in God.
This thread is about religion, and for most people in this forum, this is about god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality