Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 04:31 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
A lot of atheists made up their mind that they don't know if God exist, so the only way they will have a witness of God is for God to visit them personally which could happen, but usually don't.... Still God is good, it is man that can be wicked ......
Perpetuating nonsense is wicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 04:35 PM

884 posts, read 357,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
A lot of atheists made up their mind that they don't know if God exist, so the only way they will have a witness of God is for God to visit them personally which could happen, but usually don't.... Still God is good, it is man that can be wicked ......
If I one day think I have been visited by God, how would I know that my mind has not tricked me? Surely I would have to contemplate the possibility that my mind is deluding me?

Old 07-12-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
If I one day think I have been visited by God, how would I know that my mind has not tricked me? Surely I would have to contemplate the possibility that my mind is deluding me?
The problem that I see with hljc's babble is that if they use that concept, the really they have to accept virtually every other "ism". There's as much evidence for Hinduism. There's as much evidence for Buddhism. Pick your "ism"...for the most part, it's all faith.

And there's nothing wrong with faith...until you can't see that it's not fact.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:26 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
You might want to ask yourself why your first thought would be to question your own perceptions since in the final analysis, our direct experiences are usually the most trustworthy source of information we have.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You might want to ask yourself why your first thought would be to question your own perceptions since in the final analysis, our direct experiences are usually the most trustworthy source of information we have.
How do you know that your direct experience is trustworthy though? To me the most trustworthy is experience that can be corroborated with others, because it is always possible that I made up something that was not real. Actually I don't trust my perceptions all that much - there are some verifiable tests that can be used to show that my perception is easily fooled.

I have noticed that religion seems to require arrogance. An arrogance I don't have.

Last edited by Peter600; 07-12-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem that I see with hljc's babble is that if they use that concept, the really they have to accept virtually every other "ism". There's as much evidence for Hinduism. There's as much evidence for Buddhism. Pick your "ism"...for the most part, it's all faith.

And there's nothing wrong with faith...until you can't see that it's not fact.
Yes that is one of the biggest holes in their argument. They also have to accept cults and the like, as long as the cult God spoke to the cultists in their sleep. The cultist who get a visit from their God should trust their perception right? At least according to some they should.

Last edited by Peter600; 07-12-2021 at 07:07 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
How do you know that your direct experience is trustworthy though? To me the most trustworthy is experience that can be corroborated with others, because it is always possible that I made up something that was not real. Actually I don't trust my perceptions all that much - there are some verifiable tests that can be used to show that my perception is easily fooled.

I have noticed that religion seems to require arrogance. An arrogance I don't have.
Yes. Very yes.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:46 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
How do you know that your direct experience is trustworthy though? To me the most trustworthy is an experience that can be corroborated with others because it is always possible that I made up something that was not real. Actually, I don't trust my perceptions all that much - there are some verifiable tests that can be used to show that my perception is easily fooled.

Actually, it is atheism that requires arrogance. I distrust your assertion of lack of trust in your direct experiences since I doubt very much you operate in your daily life only on information verifiable by others and certainly not only on information verified by the scientific method. Any such assertions are simply not credible.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:38 AM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Cognitive biases, rule of thumb thinking, optical illusions, all evidence that experience should not be trusted.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, it is atheism that requires arrogance. I distrust your assertion of lack of trust in your direct experiences since I doubt very much you operate in your daily life only on information verifiable by others and certainly not only on information verified by the scientific method. Any such assertions are simply not credible.
I don't live my daily live on an objective notion of truth. For example I try to do what I think is morally right, but I don't know if that is objectively morally right. Maybe in a thousand years people will look back at how people like me lived my life and see us as morally bankrupt fools. And they may be right. I think my perceptions are indeed subjective and flawed.

I make no claims about ultimate truth. It is religious people who want to make claims of ultimate truth. To answer any questions of objective truth, I would need other people to perceive the same thing I perceive in order to verify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality