Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 09:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,643,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You didn't say what you mean by "know."

We can learn things from mainstream authorities, from non-mainstream authorities, from people we know, from our own experiences.

No one would form a belief not based on any kind of information source.
Again, another valid point but not what i asked. I will answer anyway.

The "Known" is the known that built the cell phone network across the globe. It really is an amazing piece of engineering and pushes the limit of what we know.

It doesn't matter where the information came from ... it was reliable or the system wouldn't work.

so that's how we tell if its reliable.

again, I ask you. Generally speaking, is it more reliable to use knowns to form a belief or unknowns to form a beliefs?

then we can talk about a method to test "Is it a reliable known" after the you answer the base question. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 09:24 PM

22,680 posts, read 19,370,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OK, my son was to China so yes, China exists. Is this good enough?
and my boyfriend in college was from China, and also the professor at University who taught the Cantonese class I took, and several of my classmates in that class were Chinese. what they shared, matched what the maps and books said, matched what the pictures showed, matched what i'd seen in movies filmed on location in China.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:38 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,446,125 times
Quote:
You accepted on the authority of your son that China is a real place.

But there must be places you haven't been to, and your son hasn't been to, and no one you know has been to. But those places can be found in books, written by authorities, and you trust those authorities and you do not question that those places exist.

Or what about the idea that you have a heart? Unless you have experienced certain medical procedures, you have never seen an image of your heart. You can feel it beat, but you can't know by direct experience what it looks like. It could be green or orange for all you know. But you accept that, based on medical authorities, all humans have hearts that look similar.

I could go on with more and more examples, but if you didn't get it by now I give up.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and my boyfriend in college was from China, and also the professor at University who taught the Cantonese class I took, and several of my classmates in that class were Chinese. what they shared, matched what the maps and books said, matched what the pictures showed, matched what i'd seen in movies filmed on location in China.
Think of another place then, where no one you know has been.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Again, another valid point but not what i asked. I will answer anyway.

The "Known" is the known that built the cell phone network across the globe. It really is an amazing piece of engineering and pushes the limit of what we know.

It doesn't matter where the information came from ... it was reliable or the system wouldn't work.

so that's how we tell if its reliable.

again, I ask you. Generally speaking, is it more reliable to use knowns to form a belief or unknowns to form a beliefs?

then we can talk about a method to test "Is it a reliable known" after the you answer the base question. Please.
I can't make sense of what you are saying. We can't know anything except the kind of knowledge that led to cell phones? That doesn't make any sense to me, and ignores everything I already wrote.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:07 AM

16,836 posts, read 5,045,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Harry does not understand consciousness. He is in the business of replicating the outcomes of consciousness by computer.
No, that is the opposite of AI.

Input -> program -> replicated output.

I replicate how neurons work, and they do the learning from the data independent of me.

Input -> program -> weights as output -> computer learning as output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He is process-oriented and yet he does not seem to realize that information is the "state of raw data" (inputs) that have been instantiated (processed) by consciousness.
That is one definition of information, but it is strange that I allegedly do not know this when I explained this to you using stellar absorption lines as an example.

It is amusing you once again have to resort to ad hominem while displaying your ignorance.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
He is an AI researcher? They have been on the wrong track for 70 years. Still sticking to it though.
Whereas you have left the track to talk to the trees?

Old 07-12-2021, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Science has very little to say about religion, spirituality, mysticism. However, there are some alternative theories that make sense to me, like the Penrose-Hameroff theory of consciousness, and Sheldrake's morphogenic fields. But they just point in interesting directions, and do not explain consciousness or life.
At least you admit that.

Quote:
The materialists, on the other hand, have it all figured out. They "know" exactly how and why life began and evolved, and they "know" exactly (in principle) what consciousness is. But they are wrong.
No, the "materialists" are going on what is most probably true based on the evidence we have. If you want to change that, you need to provide extra evidence instead of just denying things on the internet and pretending there is some science priest hood.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:23 AM

Quote:
There is knowledge and wisdom that has been around for many thousands of years before there was any formal scientific establishment. Do you want us to erase all that, and only accept the current scientific consensus on any subject?
No, just reject that wisdom that science (or mathematics, or logic) disproves and accept that which it proves.

Quote:
Do you want us all to accept an irrational theory that says life began and evolved by a long series of accidents? Or can we just say we do not know how or why life started and evolved?
False dichotomy with one straw man.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 AM

Quote:
No, we have not experienced that your son exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality