Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 09:58 PM

50,423 posts, read 23,999,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
So a basic foundation stone of Christianity crumbled. Let it crumble, who needs it. Since when are we obliged to think along lines set up hundreds or thousands of years ago?
You kinda make me laugh.

No, we're not obliged to think along long established lines. But that's what the vast majority of people in any religion do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
It appears to me that I am not being hyperbolic.
It's always very effective when on critiques himself/herself.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Every minister and priest was taught the same old nonsense that has been repeated for generations. Atheists love to argue against traditional religion because it's so easy to demolish it.
Atheists love to argue against traditional religion because that's pretty much what is dominant.

I'm beginning to think that you arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:19 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,393,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You kinda make me laugh.

No, we're not obliged to think along long established lines. But that's what the vast majority of people in any religion do.
And we're supposed to care what the vast majority do why? People are generally followers. Nothing wrong with that. But why waste time arguing against a mindless herd?

Old 07-16-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Atheists love to argue against traditional religion because that's pretty much what is dominant.

I'm beginning to think that you arguing for the sake of arguing.
I am arguing for the sake of trying to convince to you that there is no point trying to use logic in arguing against beliefs that don't even make the slightest effort to be logical. So if you win the argument, what then? You have shown an irrational belief to be irrational. Which we knew to begin with.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
And we're supposed to care what the vast majority do why? People are generally followers. Nothing wrong with that. But why waste time arguing against a mindless herd?
I think you're missing the main focus of the atheist position. There's little hope of us transforming the way people look at mainstream religion. We may be able to influence -- to some degree -- the dominance of religion.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I am arguing for the sake of trying to convince to you that there is no point trying to use logic in arguing against beliefs that don't even make the slightest effort to be logical. So if you win the argument, what then? You have shown an irrational belief to be irrational. Which we knew to begin with.
Answered in post #86.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I think you're missing the main focus of the atheist position. There's little hope of us transforming the way people look at mainstream religion. We may be able to influence -- to some degree -- the dominance of religion.
You are fighting traditional religious mythology, while claiming to have scientific reasons for saying "matter" is everything? So your whole enterprise seems irrational.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
You are fighting traditional religious mythology, while claiming to have scientific reasons for saying "matter" is everything? So your whole enterprise seems irrational.
Could you show me any post where I said anything like "matter is everything"? I've never said any such thing.

Have a good evening there in the Twilight Zone.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:51 PM

16,624 posts, read 4,906,315 times
Quote:
I NEVER said I don't believe in evolution!!!!!!
For an alleged PhD, you have a strange reading comprehension problem. Your rant has absolutely nothing to do with the post you are responding to.

Perhaps if you take your time, you can respond rationally instead of letting your emotions blind you.

Quote:
My criticism is of the neo-Darwinist theory of evolution, which does NOT have any supporting evidence!!!!

All the evidence is for evolution -- yes we know evolution happened, most likely, and for natural selection -- yes we know natural selection necessarily has to happen.

NO EVIDENCE FOR NEO-D. NONE. The lack of common sense I am talking about is the faith in a theory that makes no sense and has no evidence behind it.
Perhaps you should take your claim to the science section, you appear to be in need of some education.

Quote:
And it's circular reasoning to say neo-D must be true because materialism is true, and materialism is true because neo-D is true.
Again some irrelevant mantra. No one is making this argument, so why mention it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality