Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 09:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is obvious.

Traditional Indian Medicine Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine are among the oldest systems of health care known. Ayurveda 5,000 years, Chinese Medicine at least 3,000 years.

the claims that (a) science, logic, and mathematics did not exist until 2,500 years ago, and
(b) were "invented" by a few Greek men (it's hard to even write that with a straight face, thank you for a hearty laugh this morning. truly, i mean that), and
(c) all culture and all civilizations before that time "lacks rational methodology," and
(d) that "religion" is absent rational methodology. Pythagoras, on the list of Greek men named, was himself religious. Pythagoras himself believed in reincarnation and the transmigration of souls, that every soul is immortal, the heavenly destiny of the soul and rising to union with the divine; the Pythagorean religious community emphasized dietary restrictions, religious ritual and rigorous self discipline.

the presumptions listed above (a to d) are not logical, rational, reasonable, or accurate.
Even the Greeks did not have our modern scientific method. Not having the scientific method does not mean not having any science or math or rational thinking.

The Greeks relied mostly on philosphy and observation. This is not putting them down or insulting them but describing somw historical facts. Two Greeks came up wit opposing views of the Solar System, one geocentric and the other heliocentric. If the scientific method had already wxistef then each of those schools would have found ways to test which was correct and as a result a future Pope would not have decided that he liked the wrong one and we would not be taught about Galilee and his fight with the church.

Putting events into the historical context is not the act of a 5 year old. But surprise, surprise you are not always correct, not always the most knowledgable on every subject and certainly not the persob least likely to throw out insults towards anybthat have a viewdifferent from yours.

By thevway not all ancient Chineese medicines whwn tested are effective for what they claim. No need for a woman to buy rhino horn powder for her husband as i believe it was tested and did not work as claimed. The adverse affect of using rhinopowder is dead rhinos.

And i dont reject all ancient medicines as i find acupunture effective in ending the result of a problem. But that does notbmean that the Ancient Chineese and indigious people had knowledge or used the scientific method. It simply had not been developed by that time and obsevations and trial and error may be portions of the scientific mehod they are only pirtions of it. It is not a insult to claim that.

Why do you have a need to insult those who have a different opinion or experience and then claim to be thw adult in the room? I dont think i insulted you in this post but i made this knowing full well that you will find a word or phrase or evwn a typo to respond with a flock of insults demeaning and belittling me and then claiming to be the victim if me.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold are among the essential features for spiritual development and maturation whatever their motivation. Harry can be excused for his belief in the preeminence of the Greek philosophers and his cynicism given his chosen screen name. Our brains are almost hard-wired to cynicism because of the survival implications of the need to pay more attention to negative consequences.
Chosen screen name? Harry is a nick name, and Diogenes is one of my names.

And a large part of our Western culture is based on the teachings of those Greeks, and also argued against the creationism of their time.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It has been noted that mathematics is the ultimate "rational methodology".
But you argued, "...please explain how rational methodologies could have existed before we invented them?", (even added the insulting "head smacking" Smiley emoticon)...then listed a crew of dudes that came along many centuries later.
So the dudes who invented the methodologies named after them invented them before they were born?

Did Eucleides go back in time to invent Euclidean geometry?

Old 07-25-2021, 09:32 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
bold above, i disagree.
no, it is not.
Perhaps tou should edit Wikipedia.

Which other religions are closelty related to intelligent design? Yes i could do a Google Search however if i dont find the answer i would not know if your claim iscwrong or my ability to do a good Google Search is the problem.

In my opinion Int elligent design and Creationism are not only most closely associated with one religion but also with one country. Im willing to change my mind if you can show me otherwise. Note i said most closely associatec so if yoy can find a single believer of Intelligent Design of a different religion it wont change my mind

Old 07-25-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Now you devolve into rude mocking and insults.
"Voices in your head'...."...laugh at your incompetence if you want, everyone else does"..."...one can only guess at why you have problems comprehending what people write", etc.
Not cool at all. I thought we were gonna stop that stuff?
Perhaps you should tell Tzap, who IS incompetent, and does appear to have reading comprehension problems (unless it is deliberate).

Old 07-25-2021, 09:46 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Intelligent design are just words, a concept. That you consider it an euphemism is the problem in the misdirection of this thread. I don't and I am fairly well read and as intelligent as the average IQ in this forum. One can believe both in evolution and an intelligent design with no conflict without being a creationist. This is spirituality forum after all and that sets well within the framework.

Perhaps it is best to set aside labels and engage in a discussion with honesty and just deal with what is said, ask for clarification if not, instead of playing with labels and reading minds.
There is nothing wrong with your underlying sentiment; it would be great if we could look past the labels and just see what people are really trying to say (IF that is different than the label suggests). Unfortunately, that good notion runs up against cultural history and usage. Here’s what I mean by that:

These aren’t perfect examples, but there are concepts and symbols that have become so closely associated with one thing that it becomes impossible (or at least impractical) to see them as something else. For thousands of years, across many cultures (including Sanskrit, Chinese, Native American), the SWASTIKA was used as a symbol of good fortune. The familiar STARS AND BARS was never the official flag of the Confederacy, but was the battle flag for northern army of Virginia. In the immediate aftermath of Civil War, it was primarily used to honor veterans. However, those symbols were subsequently co-opted by the Nazis and KKK/segregationists/white supremacists, respectively. Whatever their original meaning, they are now so closely associated with those movements, they can’t be seen as anything else; they are now symbols of hate. Again, these may not be perfect examples (and please let’s not waste time debating that)… the point is that some concepts, labels, symbols become so intertwined with a certain use or meaning, they are no longer free for use for whatever else someone might choose.

“Intelligent Design” was co-opted (if not coined from the outset) in an attempt to slip creationism into school curricula. That is well established, and defeated in the courts and embedded in public discussion. Like it or not, that’s the first (and last) thing many people are going to think of, when they see the term.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 07-25-2021 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2021, 09:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So the dudes who invented the methodologies named after them invented them before they were born?

Did Eucleides go back in time to invent Euclidean geometry?

No...but it is a given, based upon observations, that "rational methodologies" had been invented long before them.
You claimed they hadn't been...even asked for it to be explained to you. So, it was.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should tell Tzap, who IS incompetent, and does appear to have reading comprehension problems (unless it is deliberate).
More insults. Typical. I guess it won't change.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Chosen screen name? Harry is a nick name, and Diogenes is one of my names.
And a large part of our Western culture is based on the teachings of those Greeks, and also argued against the creationism of their time.
Interesting. No one is questioning your assertion about the Greeks and modern Western culture. The fact is we do not know what some previous ancient cultures or civilizations did or did not know along those lines but the existence of inexplicably built structures does suggest the nascent methodologies that Gldn hints at.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:56 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
anyone who claims indigenous culture lacks "rational methodology"
is displaying how very little they know about indigenous culture.
I think that you ought to stop pretending that you are the expert on virtually every culture that people talk about in this forum.

For example, I've corrected you repeatedly when you have clearly suggested that the path of Buddhism is ultimately the same for Buddhism and christianity, when that is not true at all. One belief system has a creator god, the other does not.

If you are expert on christianity, Buddhism, now indigenous cultures, and other cultures, please do share with us where you obtained that expertise. Woo is not expertise.

Last edited by phetaroi; 07-25-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality