Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Add that to the fact that you cannot explain how life got started in the first place, if the universe is dead and mindless. We CAN explain it, as a natural expression of a living universe. Why not go with the simpler and more sensible theory?
I have explained, chemistry. You can not, because how can life start life if life had not started yet?

You keep repeating the universe is alive without defining what life, something you must do if life is not a chemical reaction.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So let's see, because it's what you believe, your belief is simpler and more sensible. In other words: 'cuz I said so'.
I know right ... when it should be ...
"'cause phet said so."

Old 08-05-2021, 08:34 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Nobody can explain how life got started. There are various hypotheses, but no compelling evidence. I can't imagine why this lack of evidence is so hard to understand.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
when we compare (Take a measurement) of the system around us to a cell, virus, and something not alive, it clearly is closer to alive than not alive. That aliveness seems to the driving force they speak of.

I can't imagine why that is so hard to understand. And why people have to avoid it like the plague is a whole 'nother issue indeed.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:20 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
when we compare (Take a measurement) of the system around us to a cell, virus, and something not alive, it clearly is closer to alive than not alive. That aliveness seems to the driving force they speak of.

I can't imagine why that is so hard to understand. And why people have to avoid it like the plague is a whole 'nother issue indeed.
When one doesn't believe in something, that doesn't mean that they're avoiding it.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:29 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Under current definitions the rocks in my yard are non living and the deer walking through my gsrden are living.

But how about a virus? If biologists can debate that question then maybe the difference between living and non living is not so binary. And do we know what was around in the start? Maybe something even less living or non living than a virus?

Old 08-05-2021, 10:32 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
As respects "Creation"...it doesn't matter "how" or "why"...it really only matters "What" did the creating.
"How" or "why" just satisfies curiosity..."what" lets us know what it is we are dealing with.
And, I submit, whatever Entity all that creation was/is by and through...is reasonably "God".
See content in the R&S Pantheism thread for what said creation is by and through.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Of course it is relevant. If chance did not create complex organs, what did?

You are claiming some cosmic consciousness exists while saying chance can not create complex body parts, so you need to explain what DOES create complex body parts.

And if it is this cosmic consciousness, you need to explain how it does this.

If it is through altering genetic code, you need to explain how it does this.

If it is not through altering genetic code, you need to explain the how this cosmic consciousness creates creates complex organs.

And how does this cosmic consciousness know what to change?

And where does it store this knowledge?

These are 7 questions your theory raises, and to be accepted, the answers must have evidence AND explain the data better than chance.

I have asked these several times now, and all we get is evasion.

If you do not know, then how can you argue it did?
There are some things that no one knows. The evolution by chance and selection theory claims to completely explain evolution, it claims to have solved the greatest mystery. We can argue against it without having an alternate theory that also claims to completely explain everything.

It is very silly to expect detailed descriptions of how or why he intelligent universe generates life. But there have been scientists and philosophers with some pretty good sensible ideas that can help us understand some of it.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The theory is over 30 years old. And I never said cure.

Again you are accusing others of making arguments they did not make.

Yes, it is also a straw man as well. And you appear to be ignoring I am the one providing evidence and examples.
You have NO evidence that chance and natural selection can explain the evolution of increasingly complex organs and organisms.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I have explained, chemistry. You can not, because how can life start life if life had not started yet?

You keep repeating the universe is alive without defining what life, something you must do if life is not a chemical reaction.
Most of us have a pretty good idea of what life is. We see complex machinery growing every where, keeping itself alive, fixing itself, fighting, playing, loving, competing for resources. We see that it evolves, has emerged in ever more creative forms.

Modern materialists have clung to the old idea of the deterministic clockwork universe -- a world devoid of creativity or intelligence. Any creativity or intelligence is somehow generated by certain cells called neurons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality