Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 AM
 
5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Reputation: 7763

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
They also claim that Krsna was also 'a manifestation of God', as well as Moses, Jesus, Muhammed and others.
This causes some consternation(to say the least),
1.by Jews & Muslims for saying that Moses & Muhammed were 'manifestations of God'
2.by Krishna devotees, for saying Krshna was not the incarnation of God.
They also claim the Buddha as a manifestation.

They're trying to weave together religions which can have thousands of gods with religions that have one god with a religion (?) that has no gods.

It's an admirable endeavor but I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2021, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Somerset, UK
8,343 posts, read 272,417 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
They also claim the Buddha as a manifestation.

They're trying to weave together religions which can have thousands of gods with religions that have one god with a religion (?) that has no gods.

It's an admirable endeavour but I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Which religion are you referring to? I always thought Bahais are strictly monotheistic(re: the Abrahamic god).

Regarding their admirable endeavour , I agree with you, starting any new religion cannot be easy, especially taking on all the so-called revealed religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 07:09 AM
 
3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Reputation: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
Since there is no way to fit in a discussion of the Bahai religion in other subgroups, I am posting here to start a discussion about the emergence, beliefs, and splits among the Bahai. One of the teachings of the main Bahai group was the unification of all religions. But how can that be accomplished in their own backyard for the last 100 years or more they haven't been able to accomplish it?
l like Bahai. they have open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM
 
154 posts, read 74,640 times
Reputation: 35
As it happens, there were smaller movements that disagreed with the larger one. When Mirza Hussein Ali (known as Baha'u'llah) was in prison with other followers of the Bab (who was executed as a revolutionary several years earlier) he claimed to have been visited by a divine being who revealed to him that he was the promised successor of the Bab (Mirza Ali Muhammad). Hussein Ali only revealed this information to a select few for about 10 years, while his stepbrother, Mirza Yahya Nuri, known as Subh-i-Azal, was the original leader. Eventually most of the community of Babis accepted the leadership of Baha'u'llah while a minority continued to follow Subh-i-Azal. They still exist in Iran and are known as Azalis or Babis. They reject the entire Bahai system and follow only the teachings of the Bab and Subh-i-Azal, who did not claim he was the second Messiah like Baha'u'llah did. There is a website that discusses this at www.bayanic.com.
Things didn't end there. When Baha'u'llah died there was a division between the followers of his second son, Abdul Baha and his elder brother Muhammad Ali. Eventually these other followers were distanced from the Bahai. There is a website that discusses this which calls itself Unitarian Bahai. Then upon the death of the official head, Abdul Baha, there were disputes whether or not he appointed his grandson, Ghoshi Effendi as his official successor. The ones who opposed Ghoshi Effendi were called Free Bahai. People who call themselves Free Bahai today have a website. Then there are those who were disputing with one another upon the death of Ghoshi Effendi. Some called themselves Orthodox Bahai (with websites) and followed a senior Bahai official, Mason Remey, who claimed that he was the heir to Ghoshi Effendi as the Second Guardian. The main group rejected that this happened, and say that the position of Guardian no longer exists. Other groups sprouted up after Mason Remey and have websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM
 
28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Reputation: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
As it happens, there were smaller movements that disagreed with the larger one. When Mirza Hussein Ali (known as Baha'u'llah) was in prison with other followers of the Bab (who was executed as a revolutionary several years earlier) he claimed to have been visited by a divine being who revealed to him that he was the promised successor of the Bab (Mirza Ali Muhammad). Hussein Ali only revealed this information to a select few for about 10 years, while his stepbrother, Mirza Yahya Nuri, known as Subh-i-Azal, was the original leader. Eventually most of the community of Babis accepted the leadership of Baha'u'llah while a minority continued to follow Subh-i-Azal. They still exist in Iran and are known as Azalis or Babis. They reject the entire Bahai system and follow only the teachings of the Bab and Subh-i-Azal, who did not claim he was the second Messiah like Baha'u'llah did. There is a website that discusses this at www.bayanic.com.
Things didn't end there. When Baha'u'llah died there was a division between the followers of his second son, Abdul Baha and his elder brother Muhammad Ali. Eventually these other followers were distanced from the Bahai. There is a website that discusses this which calls itself Unitarian Bahai. Then upon the death of the official head, Abdul Baha, there were disputes whether or not he appointed his grandson, Ghoshi Effendi as his official successor. The ones who opposed Ghoshi Effendi were called Free Bahai. People who call themselves Free Bahai today have a website. Then there are those who were disputing with one another upon the death of Ghoshi Effendi. Some called themselves Orthodox Bahai (with websites) and followed a senior Bahai official, Mason Remey, who claimed that he was the heir to Ghoshi Effendi as the Second Guardian. The main group rejected that this happened, and say that the position of Guardian no longer exists. Other groups sprouted up after Mason Remey and have websites.
Well, it seem the fundy/militant think types got a hold of them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 AM
 
154 posts, read 74,640 times
Reputation: 35
The Bahai system of Baha'u'llah always advocated and advocates unity of religions, but they can't seem to establish it in their own movement.
The idea of multiple manifestations throughout religions was initiated by Baha'u'llah, not the Bab, and developed I guess by Shoghi Effendi who was identified as the infallible "First Guardian" of the faith. Not unlike the Imam of a particular Shi'a sect, such as the Ismailis.

Last edited by Duvduv; 07-29-2021 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 09:12 AM
 
5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
Which religion are you referring to? I always thought Bahais are strictly monotheistic(re: the Abrahamic god).

Regarding their admirable endeavour , I agree with you, starting any new religion cannot be easy, especially taking on all the so-called revealed religions.
I was referring to Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Somerset, UK
8,343 posts, read 272,417 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I was referring to Buddhism.
You'd have to ask a Bahai how they make Buddha as a manifestation of god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Reputation: 32905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
They also claim the Buddha as a manifestation.

They're trying to weave together religions which can have thousands of gods with religions that have one god with a religion (?) that has no gods.

It's an admirable endeavor but I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Sounds a tiny bit like what Thich Nhat Hanh has tried to do with linking aspects of christianity and Buddhism, which was very interesting, and a good platform from which to compare and contrast religions, but in my experience I didn't think the two meshed well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2021, 12:09 PM
 
28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Reputation: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
They also claim the Buddha as a manifestation.

They're trying to weave together religions which can have thousands of gods with religions that have one god with a religion (?) that has no gods.

It's an admirable endeavor but I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
To a non believer like myself they all look alike in end anyway. The magic may be different, but the process in forming a belief is the same. Jesus spoke against literal religion and Buddha did the same. They are both good starts IMO.

I do like the idea of looking to focus on the similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top