Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Certain things are common to most, details can vary. Prohibitions against murder (killing members of your own group) can be found in many social animal species.
I'm not interested in speculating about morality among reptiles and ducks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I struggle to see what your point is. What is your source for morality?

And why are you guys so fascinated with magic?
Magic? You mean like turning water into wine? You mean like feeding the multitudes with a few fish and a loaf of bread?

Old 08-08-2021, 12:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
It's complicated and difficult, but moral codes are NOT arbitrary and they ARE necessary.
What "code" should we go by?
The one the Bloods, Crips, & human trafficers go by?
The one Planned Parenthood goes by?
The one the different Armies in the history of the world have gone by?
Nope...what is the "right" thing to do is subjective.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
It is common sense because it is inborn, since we are social animals. It was wrong to elevate it to a divine level and tie it to spirituality.
Maybe I would use the term "conditional" over subjective. "Objective", as in some things our species just shouldn't do is ok in a general sense to me.

Some is coded in and some is etched in by experience. No, its not wrong to try and tie it to something higher. But it does seem that when we can state why we think its "moral" without the tie into the divine, they seems to be "true" under more conditional changes.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The point he is making is that some animals have behaviors that are similar to ours. Well, I guess it would be better stated that ours were built on top of theirs. So some morals (actually behaviors) are coded in.

That tells us something.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:58 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
And why is it that you think other animals are irrelevant to understanding ourselves? You think humans aren't earth animals?

Old 08-08-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And why is it that you think other animals are irrelevant to understanding ourselves? You think humans aren't earth animals?
Man has enough trouble interpreting human behaviors and relating those behaviors to morality and spirituality. Focus on man, then when you have that figured out, worry about morality among rabbits.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:09 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Maybe I would use the term "conditional" over subjective. "Objective", as in some things our species just shouldn't do is ok in a general sense to me.

Some is coded in and some is etched in by experience. No, its not wrong to try and tie it to something higher. But it does seem that when we can state why we think its "moral" without the tie into the divine, they seems to be "true" under more conditional changes.
Morality is not divine, any more than walking, talking, eating, breathing are divine. You could say everything is divine, but then "divine" would not mean anything.

I'm saying it was a mistake to connect morality and religion, based on a misunderstanding of "the bible." And the connection has only become stronger.

The Old Testament is what remains of the written records of an ancient civilization, including history of varying degrees of accuracy, mythology, philosophy, religion, moral and legal codes, politics, war, etc. So our culture decided ALL of that fits into the category of religion? Just because all the various books have been collected into one "bible?"

And it's bad and it's wrong to think this way. It cuts the mystical heart out of religion, and replaces it with something ordinary.

And it's why modern humans NEVER talk seriously about magic. And why we think "spirituality" is all about being a "good person." (Even though, of course, no one bothers to say what a good person is, because we're just supposed to know, even though obviously we DO NOT know).

Old 08-08-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Morality is not divine, any more than walking, talking, eating, breathing are divine. You could say everything is divine, but then "divine" would not mean anything.

I'm saying it was a mistake to connect morality and religion, based on a misunderstanding of "the bible." And the connection has only become stronger.

The Old Testament is what remains of the written records of an ancient civilization, including history of varying degrees of accuracy, mythology, philosophy, religion, moral and legal codes, politics, war, etc. So our culture decided ALL of that fits into the category of religion? Just because all the various books have been collected into one "bible?"

And it's bad and it's wrong to think this way. It cuts the mystical heart out of religion, and replaces it with something ordinary.

And it's why modern humans NEVER talk seriously about magic. And why we think "spirituality" is all about being a "good person." (Even though, of course, no one bothers to say what a good person is, because we're just supposed to know, even though obviously we DO NOT know).
Yup, I agree with this over all.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Man has enough trouble interpreting human behaviors and relating those behaviors to morality and spirituality. Focus on man, then when you have that figured out, worry about morality among rabbits.
Understanding the behaviors of animals is aiding in interpreting behaviors in humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality