Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 07:58 AM

22,164 posts, read 19,213,038 times

Advertisements

humans, animals, plants, and rocks
all have sentience

our planet, too, is sentient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 08:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
all have sentience

For someone who regula rly posts definitions of common words for some reason ypu certainly are creating your own meaning for that word

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sentient

Old 08-19-2021, 08:47 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
all have sentience
As inexplicable and bizarre as this might seem, my experiences agree with this depending on how one defines sentience. If we define it to be close to our human conscious awareness on some sliding scale, then phet and his article are circling the cutoff using the Buddhist concepts of pain and suffering. Experientially, I could detect no rigid cutoff in the field itself. It was an interesting article, phet, and a puzzling topic for sure.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
For someone who regula rly posts definitions of common words for some reason ypu certainly are creating your own meaning for that word

Certainly it's a puzzling definition for a Buddhist who -- in varying degrees -- should be dedicated to not harming sentient beings.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
all have sentience

I agree. Consciousness is the source of sentience. Sentiency is awareness. Everything within the Oneness, which is everything, has consciousness. The degree of sentiency varies according to the body.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:40 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I agree. Consciousness is the source of sentience. Sentiency is awareness. Everything within the Oneness, which is everything, has consciousness. The degree of sentiency varies according to the body.
Just so I'm clear... ROCKS have consciousness, sentience, awareness?

Old 08-19-2021, 10:37 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Just so I'm clear... ROCKS have consciousness, sentience, awareness?
Consciousness yes absolutely, everything is within Conciousness. Sentience depends on the level of absorption. Coal and diamond have the same carbon. A diamond can absorb and reflect more light. So with all bodies and sentience.
I hope that was clear
It helps to clear confusion if you use precise terms.
Here you go:
Quote:
Take that rock over there. It doesn’t seem to be doing much of anything, at least to our gross perception. But at the microlevel it consists of an unimaginable number of atoms connected by springy chemical bonds, all jiggling around at a rate that even our fastest supercomputer might envy. And they are not jiggling at random. The rock’s innards “see” the entire universe by means of the gravitational and electromagnetic signals it is continuously receiving. Such a system can be viewed as an all-purpose information processor, one whose inner dynamics mirror any sequence of mental states that our brains might run through. And where there is information, says panpsychism, there is consciousness. In David Chalmers’s slogan, “Experience is information from the inside; physics is information from the outside.”
But the rock doesn’t exert itself as a result of all this “thinking.” Why should it? Its existence, unlike ours, doesn’t depend on the struggle to survive and self-replicate. It is indifferent to the prospect of being pulverized. If you are poetically inclined, you might think of the rock as a purely contemplative being. And you might draw the moral that the universe is, and always has been, saturated with mind, even though we snobbish Darwinian-replicating latecomers are too blinkered to notice.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/m...ln-lede-t.html
Gives me goosebumps.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,192 times
Quote:
Consciousness yes absolutely, everything is within Conciousness. Sentience depends on the level of absorption. Coal and diamond have the same carbon. A diamond can absorb and reflect more light. So with all bodies and sentience.
I hope that was clear
It helps to clear confusion if you use precise terms.
Here you go:
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/m...ln-lede-t.html
Gives me goosebumps.
On that line we can certainly agree! But I appreciate the effort to respond.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:38 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
"The Oneness" not only *has* consciousness & sentience...it necessarily IS consciousness and sentience.
As The Oneness is anything & everything, in totality...consciousness and sentience are part & parcel of it.
Those are my thoughts on it.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:44 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
"The Oneness" not only *has* consciousness & sentience...it necessarily IS consciousness and sentience.
As The Oneness is anything & everything, in totality...consciousness and sentience are part & parcel of it.
Those are my thoughts on it.
That is what I alluded to as well, Gldn. But the article presents a puzzling dilemma for Buddhists in determining an appropriate cutoff for purposes of avoiding pain and suffering. It was an interesting read. BTW, since it refers to the complexity of neurons as some indicator of an appropriate cutoff, it fits with Arach's complexity of information exchange nodes as well.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-19-2021 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality