Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 02:31 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
My apology. I was not aware that in the year 2021 non protestants are not allowed to attend or work there. As women probably did not attend in the 1600s are the now allowed?

According to Wikipedia Harvard ended favourtism to Christainity in the 19th Century.

Just a side note, during the period of Harvard being established religious intolerance in the States was rampant except for Rhode Island, slavery was legal and women had few rights. Many things have changed for the better. What was the rule in the 17th Century is simply not acceptable to most people today. ?
Interesting that you see the dismantling of a Christian institution as progress. I suspect if a Jewish or Muslim institution was dismantled (changed so much it is no longer Jewish or Muslim) you would have quite a problem with that.

Also interesting that you relate Christianity to slavery or the slave period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 02:36 PM

63,774 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
My apology. I was not aware that in the year 2021 non protestants are not allowed to attend or work there. As women probably did not attend in the 1600s are the now allowed?

According to Wikipedia Harvard ended favourtism to Christainity in the 19th Century.

Just a side note, during the period of Harvard being established religious intolerance in the States was rampant except for Rhode Island, slavery was legal and women had few rights. Many things have changed for the better. What was the rule in the 17th Century is simply not acceptable to most people today.

Si if Harvard is not what it was in the 1600s your comment about the appointment of a Jewish atheist has no real bearing plus it was not the firsr non Protestanf Chaplan therd.

Is your problem is that he is Jewish or that he is an atheist?
I am being continually astounded by the amount of unabashed bigotry still exists out there! It is depressing.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am being continually astounded by the amount of unabashed bigotry still exists out there! It is depressing.
Are you referring to him/her (post), or me?

Old 08-30-2021, 04:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Interesting that you see the dismantling of a Christian institution as progress. I suspect if a Jewish or Muslim institution was dismantled (changed so much it is no longer Jewish or Muslim) you would have quite a problem with that.

I did not relate Christainity with slavery. I was providing several examples of changes in society that occurred around the time that Harvard ceaced being a Christian institution.

As far asJewish or Muslim instiutions i do not know much about them. I am glad that there were no Jewish schools where i grew up. And many Jewish groups should not be necesaary as its long time since the signs on beaches said "No Dogs or Jews" or Jews could not join country clubs.

So no i dont have a problem with what ever it is you suspect me havingbone with. You did ignore that Harvard has not been a Christian organization since the time of our great great grandfathers. Nor is the reason for its founding a need anymore. Why are you not upset that it was founded as an alternative to being taught by the clergy?

And you did not answer the Jew or Atheist question. And how many purely Christian organizations exist in the States today? But you want other organizations to go back into a distant past and becime religious again .

And you are upset claiming a Christian organization is being dismantled because they appoinred at least their third chapain in the last 100 years that was bot a Christian.

The world must not go back in time to when religious intoreance was rampant and open. There is no need to repeat what happened in Afghanistan, Eygpt or Lebanon during our own lifetime. If every Jewish and Muslim organization has to be totally dismantled and Harvard has to appoint a Jewish Atheist chaplan to prevent that from happenening i am fine with that.

I also am old enough to remember the concerns many Americans had wifh JFK becoming President because he was Catholic.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Going back and rereadi ng the original.link , this guyvisnt even theonly chaplan but the president of the chaplans organization. So Harvard already had chaplans of other religions so obviously it is not a Christian only organization. And the student body is becoming less religious.,

How is the mixing of people from different races, religions and genders not a bad thing in a institute of higher learning. It is not a church.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Interesting that you see the dismantling of a Christian institution as progress.
Isn't it up to Harvard if they want to be a Christian institution or not? Should they be forced against their will to be a Christian institution?

Old 08-30-2021, 11:46 PM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:

I am German and English is my third language, yet I understand the point Badlander was making. I am confused why you have a problem understanding the point?

Old 08-31-2021, 04:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:

dismantling the process f religion and using observation guided beliefs is a good thing.

If you are focusing on "love compassion and understanding, then I agree. Leave it.

If you think that dismantling "blind faith" (like literally, died and rose for our ins) as a reasonable tool to form a belief is not a good idea, I disagree. Teach people to use what they experience and understand.

Rarely use the words "trust me" or "Its a mystery".

Instead say "Don't believe me, go prove me wrong. How cool would it be that you teach me something."

Keep in mind, although there are no official sects in atheism, the words applied. Some atheist are driven by atheism as much, and deeply, as any theist.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:38 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Except Harvard is a protestant Christian university, founded for Protestant Christians:

https://christianheritagefellowship....ng-of-harvard/
The "protestant Christian group" that founded Harvard has gone through several fits and straits through the centuries but as it shakes out...the main church is now the United Church of Christ. The United Church of Christ is about as theologically and socially liberal as it gets in Christendom.

So from the perspective that you seem to present on C-D... I don't necessarily think that Harvard abandoning it's Christian roots 200 years ago is really a bad thing. Because if they were still aligned with UCC then you'd be more disenchanted with them you already are.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am German and English is my third language, yet I understand the point Badlander was making. I am confused why you have a problem understanding the point?
Are you talking about this quote?:

Quote:
during the period of Harvard being established religious intolerance in the States was rampant except for Rhode Island, slavery was legal and women had few rights. Many things have changed for the better. What was the rule in the 17th Century is simply not acceptable to most people today.

It appears pretty obvious the correlation that poster is making. Maybe it is he/she who doesn't see why equating those institutions in the same sentence is a bad look? Freudian slip, at the least.

It's okay, I get it. It's okay to openly bash Christianity today - heck it is cheered on in Western civilization today. But bash the Talmud or Islam? Well you will be signing your death sentence (figuratively if not literally). Yep, I get it. I know who controls Harvard (and America) today, and it isn't Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality