Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?
Heaven 30 81.08%
Hell 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 09:31 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Islam, Christianity and Judaism all believe in the same God.
And disbelieve in the other 8,000 to 12,000 alleged gods. So your disbelief rate is at least 99.9875%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 09:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
True, but as you do not believe most religions are true, and atheists do not believe any are true, then the amount of disbelief is still over 99%.

Your chronic lack of understanding on display above^^^.

All "Religions and Spiritual Ways Are True"...in that their compilation of Theological/Philosophical Concepts do exist, and are believed in.
Only if nobody believed in any of the concepts could "disbelief" be claimed.
Just like if anybody perceives/believes me to be a "Friend"...then, the belief that it is true that I am a "Friend" is absolutely valid...regardless of whatever any other did or didn't perceive/believe about me.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:55 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Your chronic lack of understanding on display above^^^.

All "Religions and Spiritual Ways Are True"...in that their compilation of Theological/Philosophical Concepts do exist, and are believed in.
Only if nobody believed in any of the concepts could "disbelief" be claimed.
Just like if anybody perceives/believes me to be a "Friend"...then, the belief that it is true that I am a "Friend" is absolutely valid...regardless of whatever any other did or didn't perceive/believe about me.
Inability to do simple fractions and simple logic on display above^^^.

Lol, lies are true because they exist.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Inability to do simple fractions and simple logic on display above^^^.

Lol, lies are true because they exist.
Further display of noted lack of understanding^^^.

Even if a statement is a lie, if it is accepted as bonafide...then the belief in it is true.
Also...if every single particular of a ideology must be objectively veracious for the overall ideology to be "true"...then no ideology could be considered "true".

Again...I know it bothers you that 85% (and growing) of the people in this world embrace some Theological Ideology...but you will have to learn to cope, because you are impotent and powerless to do anything about that.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:38 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I bet some of those selecting "going to hell" were done in-jest, tongue-in-cheek.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
Based on your good deeds you believe you are heading to heaven? Like feeding or helping out at a food drive pantry would be that person. And you helped out every time because it makes you feel like you are one with God and have a lowly outlook on life. You are asking if i think this is a good thing? Yes I do. Is there anything else you think needs to be in a person to go to heaven?
I would point out, again, I really do not give a Rattus' Distal Alimentary canal opening about Heaven or Hell I do care whether my Family , my neighbors, people in my community (especially children) have food on the table at the end of the day. I do not think heaven or hell are literal real places, but I do see the Socio-Cultural symbolism and the similes of comparing ones bad state (I.e. War is hell) as a descriptor to the human experience.

SO when I write the check out tomorrow to the local food bank, I am not doing it with any sort of eternal reward in mind, because to me , there is none. I am doing it because with the economy, there are disenfranchised people who need to eat, and I have extra money. Last I checked, people and hunger are still real. Last I checked, God or gods are not. So if a person is hungry, and I have a few dollars to help them obtain food, why would I not help? I cannot see or measure a better option.

Charity Navigator rates this charity highly, and I feel that my money is going, in a large part, to helping someone eat who would otherwise go hungry. Does it make me a "good person" or does it make me one with some fictional deity? I don't see it as that. I see it as the right thing to do, to relieve the suffering of another human being.

Last I checked ( a few minutes ago) this life is the only one we have guaranteed to us. This is real. This is substantial. This is reality. There are beliefs, claims, myths, all without evidence of reality but with evidence of fantasy that there is some eternal afterlife of suffering or reward. To me, there is not only any evidence, but, at the risk of sounding too much like Spock, no practical or common logic behind any such claims.

But to your point, Yes, I agree, helping out those who need help is the right thing to do, not because of some afterlife reward, but because humans have that need, and by helping that starving human, maybe the next time with a full belly, he is able to get out and find his way in the world, and one day, be in the position to help others in return.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:05 PM

7,907 posts, read 3,450,203 times
I'd say to the extent that they exist, heaven and hell are of our own making. A soul at peace will find an afterlife of peace while a soul in turmoil will find an afterlife of turmoil. Whether or not there is a God who judges us, I believe the harshest and most honest judgement will come from ourselves.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:26 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I'd say to the extent that they exist, heaven and hell are of our own making. A soul at peace will find an afterlife of peace while a soul in turmoil will find an afterlife of turmoil. Whether or not there is a God who judges us, I believe the harshest and most honest judgement will come from ourselves.
Overall I tend to agree, but then there are the people who are immoral and amoral.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
And disbelieve in the other 8,000 to 12,000 alleged gods. So your disbelief rate is at least 99.9875%.
Islam, Judaism and Christianity represent about 55% of religious people. If you subtract atheists/non-religious, that leaves about 30%. And Buddhists don’t necessarily toss out the idea of God, but do think of him (it?) differently. Nevertheless, your math skills are suspect.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Islam, Judaism and Christianity represent about 55% of religious people. If you subtract atheists/non-religious, that leaves about 30%. And Buddhists don’t necessarily toss out the idea of God, but do think of him (it?) differently. Nevertheless, your math skills are suspect.
Generally speaking Buddhists do not accept a creator, personal god. We do have freedom of thought about it and other issues or belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality