Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?
Heaven 30 81.08%
Hell 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 02:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Because the bible has as much reality as the Harry Potter books, or Santa, or Leprechauns. It is a collection of allegorical tales told for a people and time to control them, and attempt to explain things like thunder and lightning.

No reality, lots of imagination and admonitions.
And what does that have to do with its epic & prolific influence...other than how much that bothers you?

Fried strips of potato and chemically laden flavored sugar-water is borderline poison...but that does not change that the vast majority think it's great food and consume it in massive quantities.

My suggestion to you: Learn and live by, "The Serenity Prayer", just leave off the word "God".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 03:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And what does that have to do with its epic & prolific influence...other than how much that bothers you?
Did you not say you were a pantheist? Because, if so, I'm curious as to why you seem convinced that the Bible is the most "epic" (very subjective) and "prolific" (because they're handed out for free all over the place) book ever written? Why the bias?

Quote:
Fried strips of potato and chemically laden flavored sugar-water is borderline poison...but that does not change that the vast majority think it's great food and consume it in massive quantities.
C'mon, Gldn. Between you and me, you should really tone down the rhetoric. It's not "borderline poison." The hyperbole, however, is. No one has ever died because they were directly poisoned by French fries and a glass of soda. It's not healthy if you eat huge amounts of it, refuse to exercise, and eat nothing else.

Quote:
My suggestion to you: Learn and live by, "The Serenity Prayer", just leave off the word "God".
Why bother saying to leave off the word "God?" (Well, okay, yeah, leave off the word "God" - the Serenity Prayer is not a part of any religion or holy book - and AA is not a religion even if they try to make it one.)

As I've said, you continuously heap praise onto the Bible when it is, in fact, one of the worst books ever written. Any wisdom to be found in that book can be found elsewhere - even within the nice and religion-neutral Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The only reason why anyone who isn't a Christian would need to rely so heavily on the Bible for wisdom is if they're secretly wanting that wisdom to be vindicated and backed up with the authority and intellect of a God. As if the wisdom isn't enough by itself. Like a product being promoted by some sports figure or Hollywood celebrity. The product can't sell itself, for some reason, so ...

You don't actually believe in Yahweh ... do you?

This isn't a criticism, by the way - but I am curious why a self-confessed pantheist would promote Christianity without ever taking wisdom from anywhere else - be it the Hindu Vedas, the Qu'ran, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the UDHC, Confucius, hell even Sun Tsu.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

As I've said, you continuously heap praise onto the Bible when it is, in fact, one of the worst books ever written. Any wisdom to be found in that book can be found elsewhere - even within the nice and religion-neutral Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

This isn't a criticism, by the way - but I am curious why a self-confessed pantheist would promote Christianity without ever taking wisdom from anywhere else - be it the Hindu Vedas, the Qu'ran, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the UDHC, Confucius, hell even Sun Tsu.
1. I would tone that first bolded part down slightly and just say that it is one of the most overrated books ever written, and is truly followed far less than christians like to admit. I also differentiate between the grotesque aspects of the Old Testament and a very different tone in the New Testament. But you are correct, most of the moral lessons of the bible can be found elsewhere.

2. Our other poster makes it very clear through many of his posts that he feels an intense need to be 'in the majority', hence his clinging to the christian side of things. In reality, of course, his pantheism is a very small minority of believers. Not sure, but I have seen estimates in the few thousand.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:27 PM

10,031 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Did you not say you were a pantheist? Because, if so, I'm curious as to why you seem convinced that the Bible is the most "epic" (very subjective) and "prolific" (because they're handed out for free all over the place) book ever written? Why the bias?
C'mon, Gldn. Between you and me, you should really tone down the rhetoric. It's not "borderline poison." The hyperbole, however, is. No one has ever died because they were directly poisoned by French fries and a glass of soda. It's not healthy if you eat huge amounts of it, refuse to exercise, and eat nothing else.
Why bother saying to leave off the word "God?" (Well, okay, yeah, leave off the word "God" - the Serenity Prayer is not a part of any religion or holy book - and AA is not a religion even if they try to make it one.)
The only reason why anyone who isn't a Christian would need to rely so heavily on the Bible for wisdom is if they're secretly wanting that wisdom to be vindicated and backed up with the authority and intellect of a God. As if the wisdom isn't enough by itself. Like a product being promoted by some sports figure or Hollywood celebrity. The product can't sell itself, for some reason, so ...You don't actually believe in Yahweh ... do you?
I find there is a BIG difference between God's Wisdom (Bible) and wisdom outside of Scripture often taught as Scripture.
God's Wisdom, His Word teaches the dead are in an unconscious sleep-like state.
( Psalm 6:5; Psalm 13:3; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14 )
So, the Bible's hell is Not some non-biblical hell of religious myth, but simply mankind's temporary stone-cold gave for the sleeping dead.
Especially since the King James translated into English the word Gehenna wrongly as hell fire that put flames in the grave.
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were: destroyed.
So, No wonder the Bible teaches the wicked are: destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22; 2nd Peter 3:9

Old 05-22-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:

The only reason why anyone who isn't a Christian would need to rely so heavily on the Bible for wisdom is if they're secretly wanting that wisdom to be vindicated and backed up with the authority and intellect of a God. As if the wisdom isn't enough by itself. Like a product being promoted by some sports figure or Hollywood celebrity. The product can't sell itself, for some reason, so ...

You don't actually believe in Yahweh ... do you?

As far as The Bible being the most epic, prolific, and influential Book in human history...I am just going by the current available information. Certainly more copies have been put forth than anything else...and much of it in a time when there was very few others.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30036581

You ask why I note The Bible as much as I do...well, as you know, my participation style here is that I very rarely initiate, I have never started a thread...and I only respond to others posts.
So...I respond to the discussion others initiate...and that is what THEY post about.
And...of course, I post about my own beliefs...in the thread it is sequestered to.
Post about or start a thread about some other...and I'll respond to that.

But, you might now realize that what you are telling me is to tone down my rhetoric, about the rhetoric.
So...you are essentially telling me to sit down and shut up...and not respond with my views about what is posted.
You have oft noted that is something that bothers you when people tell you that (I never have...I have always welcomed, complimented, and encouraged your posts) when you contribute your views.

As you know I view Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah to be a metaphorical & allegorical representation of the God (Reality) I perceive.
That's why they are assigned the "Omnimax Powers"...whereby they are everywhere simultaneously (All Present), has all the energy/force (All Powerful), etc, etc...just like Reality (ALL That Exists).

I acknowledge the status of the Bible, as a book, simply based upon the facts on the ground...as best I know them.
Obviously I dig the Philosophy in it...I post as "GldnRule".
That the philosophy can be found other places is inconsequential.
That writers 2000 years ago could have authored something as cool as that are like the Pyramids relative to construction...to me.

I know you have a very negative view of Religion and the related texts...and you have your reasons. And that's cool.
But in the same way, my differing view of it is also cool.
Part of my Religion is to accept all other Religions and perceptions of God(s). And I find that to be the way that has the best vibe to it...and saves a lot of angst.

Oh, and...Art of War has been a coffee table book at my place for over 40 years.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:29 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Ironically ^^^ this from the guy that is always going off about how much Religion influences legislation, and that he is fighting against that.
You now are contradicting one of your standard gripes...just for the sake of being contradictory. That's the kinda entertainment on this board that I find really amusing.
False, I am not again the alleged influences you can not list, I am against the attempt to influence.

Quote:
From the beginning of this Current Government in the U.S.A.
(land they took from the Native Inhabitants by force & swindle) many have used the influence of those texts to allow or ban everything from slavery & basic civil rights, womens sufferage, same-sex marriage, doing business on Sundays, etc, etc, etc.
The list of laws (for "good" or "bad") throughout the history of the U S....Federal, State, & Local...that used the influence of what is written in "Ancient Theological Texts" (sometimes misinterpreted) by those that drafted the legislation at the time is very, very long.
Again the claim with no evidence.

Quote:
Not only do you know that...but you regularly rag about it.
But...from now on, every time you complain about Religion/The Bible having influenced government officials...I'll note this post.
Of course you will misuse it, it amuses you to be dishonest.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:34 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
No misrepresentation...it is common, like calling The Bible a 'fairytale" or comparing The Deity to the Tooth-fairy, the Easter Bunny, or Santa.
The most amusing part of it all, is...epic & prolific Ancient Texts ARE a influential basis to the people that make the laws, and have been for a long, long time.
More misrepresentation by arguing something else.

Quote:
And of course that post was not responding to me...it was a completely initiated post that quoted no one.
So you were wrong to claim it was a response.

Quote:
My stating The Bible is "the most epic, prolific, and influential Book in human history" is something I have done hundreds of times on this forum. And also noted, "And the people that take issue with that fact...I guess, felt they had to cast some aspersions."
That you would look for something as insignificant as a misinterpreted post initiation/response chain to point to...and then actually do it...it just so indicative of how well it is still working. Cool!
More misrepresentations just to get a response. According to the Bible, the god you can not believe in because it created yours hates you twice.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
False, I am not again the alleged influences you can not list, I am against the attempt to influence.

Again the claim with no evidence.

Of course you will misuse it, it amuses you to be dishonest.
I noted many laws it has influenced.
Since over 4 out of 5 people in this world embrace a Religion and the texts the Religion is based upon...it will have a influence in their decisions, as a legislator or anything else.
I guess you forgot that you've made that very argument yourself:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63152630-post569.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63152636-post570.html

That the U.S. government was influenced, then and now, by Religion and Religious texts is well known. You could educate yourself about it with even a very cursory study, as there are endless sources of information:
https://www.theclassroom.com/ideas-e...ught-6289.html

https://blog.oup.com/2016/11/bible-i...nding-fathers/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...erica-history/

Most everything you write (and think) is skewed by your hated of & bias against Religion and the embrace thereof.
Which leaves you in a terrible quandary since the world is 85% Religious, and growing...so you would have to seriously isolate yourself to avoid it.
It is completely obvious how it consumes you...it even bothers you that foreign strangers on the internet are Theist & embrace a Religion...so much so, you come here and whine about it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality