Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?
Heaven 30 81.08%
Hell 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,335,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't think basing anything on "we don't know it all so I think ..." is that reliable.

I think its better stated "We see some thing(s) that may point to another existence.". They are in serous doubt, but still the "belief" is being based on "we see [this], [that], and [the other] so I think it means ...." is more reliable.

I just think starting any claim off of "we don;t know so I believe ..." is far thinner than what I said above.

To your last para ... same here.
"There is no real reason to suppose that the state of non existence that occurs after death is in any way different from the state of non existence that occurred prior to conception." - TotN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:12 AM

6,748 posts, read 8,527,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hello!

Based off your deeds and religiousness, do you think you will go to heaven or hell? Of course nobody knows this answer for sure, but I thought it would be a fun poll!
I don't want to presume, but I sure as he'll hope it's Heaven.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I don't want to presume, but I sure as he'll hope it's Heaven.
hope/hōp/
noun
1.a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hope...id=chrome&ie=U

"Hope" is exactly right. Hope is the basis for wishful thinking. Observation, on the other hand, is simply a matter accepting what direct examination has to tell us. Direct observation tells us that all living things die and decompose back into their component particles. Wishful thinking does not alter that.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:12 AM

1,402 posts, read 473,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
hope/hōp/
noun
1.a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hope...id=chrome&ie=U

"Hope" is exactly right. Hope is the basis for wishful thinking. Observation, on the other hand, is simply a matter accepting what direct examination has to tell us. Direct observation tells us that all living things die and decompose back into their component particles. Wishful thinking does not alter that.
True dat. Many years ago, I was involved in a research study on terminally-ill patients who were being offered highly-experimental (i.e., unproven) treatment, having failed standard therapies. The results suggested there was an important difference between HOPE and EXPECTATION. No one wanted these patients to lose hope, but recognized it would be misleading (on our part) and psychologically unhealthy (on their part), if they entered this experimental, unproven approach with unrealistic expectations.

The same distinction might apply here, even if the scenario is different. Or maybe it isn't all that different, since "we're all gonna die?"

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 09-02-2021 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 11:07 AM

32,984 posts, read 26,215,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hello!

Based off your deeds and religiousness, do you think you will go to heaven or hell? Of course nobody knows this answer for sure, but I thought it would be a fun poll!
Except that biblically speaking, whether you go to heaven or hell is NOT based on your deeds, but on faith in Christ Jesus. So your premise on which you are basing your poll is wrong.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Old 09-02-2021, 11:47 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,294,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Except that biblically speaking, whether you go to heaven or hell is NOT based on your deeds, but on faith in Christ Jesus. So your premise on which you are basing your poll is wrong.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
Is it true or not, based on the verses you quoted Heaven is strickly a Christian place or belief? And only open to Christian s and those who regardless of their own religion accept Jesus as their saviour so in essence Christians? Which would make them Christians then.

So obvious myself and all.my forefathers could possibily go to Heaven no matter how good or religious they were but they stayed Jews or were atheists. I do notvknow if they were good or bad people as the records of oppressed people usually either are never created or never kept

Can believers not understand how a non Christian conceives this concept as the opposite of a fair, just and loving God? Did Jesus. Mary, Mary,s mother and grandparents not allowed into Heaven?

If Heaven is for in facto only for Christians can the same also be said for Hell?

And for Baptistfundie these questions are not intended as hate upon your God but for the purpose of trying to understand those who believe differently from myself

Old 09-02-2021, 11:51 AM

22,949 posts, read 10,303,228 times
This is hell.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post

Qur'an 31-8
Surely those who believe (in Allah) and do good will have the Gardens of Bliss

To enter paradise you have to be a Muslim, it doesn't matter if you were a good person or if you did good deeds, if you're not a Muslim they don't count.

Because Muslims declare it to be so.

https://www.quora.com/According-to-I...also-necessary

Old 09-02-2021, 02:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
This is hell.
lmao ...

thanks for that ...

Old 09-02-2021, 02:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
"There is no real reason to suppose that the state of non existence that occurs after death is in any way different from the state of non existence that occurred prior to conception." - TotN.
yup,

LMAO, one problem, the nonsense of past lives supports that claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality