Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 06:04 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What kind of negative consequences Mystic?

Everyone being so defensive about their beliefs is what gets wars started Mystic. Wouldnt we all be better off just shrugging our shoulders?
I couldn't agree more but that is symptomatic of human vanity and hubris, NOT God. The very extraordinary power and freedom of thought our consciousness enables is fertile ground for all manner of abominations, war is only one of the more prevalent manifestations.
Quote:
Belief in god doesn't seem to have advanced humanity all that much.
Belief in God has been largely dominated by various religious dogmas that are the product of human vanity and hubris, as filtered through our human frailties. They sadly reflect our all too fallible and flawed attempts to understand our Reality and the God who is responsible for it. We use our consciousness and the influences on it that result from our attained knowledge through science and any inspirations from the Father of all consciousness, God, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 06:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
The podcast is called 'absolutely mental' if you are interested. It's a quirky title I grant you.

https://absolutelymental.com/
Hey, thanks! I'll have to check it out! I don't care if the interview is with an atheist, as long as he has something worthwhile to say.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:00 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Oh yeah, I have definitely thought about this. It's all a matter of faith. No one knows what's to happen to us after. I was just talking about this last night, to my Heavenly Father. It was a bad night. I said that if I could only know that there was nothing after I would kill myself. I'm still heartbroken over my husband's death and the only thing that keeps me here is knowing (by faith of course) that we will be together in paradise. If I didn't have my faith I would have ended my own life shortly after he passed away unexpectedly.

But, yes, there is a distinct possibility that the God of the Bible is not true. It seems to me that a rational thinking person must acknowledge this. There really is only one reality. No matter what anyone of us believes. And really, the way I see it, the only way for the most part anyone would really be in a bad way off after death is in fact if the God of the Bible is true; I believe someone on here, Clintone if I'm not mistaken, started a thread on this. I never posted on it because yeah, that's pretty much it. Every other form of Christianity not based on the Bible doesn't have a hell, so nothing bad to happen to anyone in that version. Not sure about Islam though, so that might be another possible bad ending for some. I think the Hades in the Greek mythologies was kind of bad too, like that one guy that had to roll a boulder up a hill over and over again or something like that. So there may be a handful out there. But it seems most people believe in a happy ending after death. I do wish it were true! And maybe it is; we don't have that much time left to find out, really.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:34 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No. There is no "wrong God".
Whatever one's perception of "God", it's what is "right" for them.
Of course...people would like all others to prefer what they do as well. But that is not how it works in this world...and never will.

This puts me in mind of Harry Potter's Patronus and Bogart.
God is whatever that person perceives it to be. What you are saying is God can be literally anything. And nothing is a wrong answer no matter how good or terrible, or any combination in between.
I mean okay.
To me this renders god a figment of a persons imagination which seems to be more of an atheists argument.
So I don't particularly have an argument with it.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Oh yeah, I have definitely thought about this. It's all a matter of faith. No one knows what's to happen to us after. I was just talking about this last night, to my Heavenly Father. It was a bad night. I said that if I could only know that there was nothing after I would kill myself. I'm still heartbroken over my husband's death and the only thing that keeps me here is knowing (by faith of course) that we will be together in paradise. If I didn't have my faith I would have ended my own life shortly after he passed away unexpectedly.

But, yes, there is a distinct possibility that the God of the Bible is not true. It seems to me that a rational thinking person must acknowledge this. There really is only one reality. No matter what anyone of us believes. And really, the way I see it, the only way for the most part anyone would really be in a bad way off after death is in fact if the God of the Bible is true; I believe someone on here, Clintone if I'm not mistaken, started a thread on this. I never posted on it because yeah, that's pretty much it. Every other form of Christianity not based on the Bible doesn't have a hell, so nothing bad to happen to anyone in that version. Not sure about Islam though, so that might be another possible bad ending for some. I think the Hades in the Greek mythologies was kind of bad too, like that one guy that had to roll a boulder up a hill over and over again or something like that. So there may be a handful out there. But it seems most people believe in a happy ending after death. I do wish it were true! And maybe it is; we don't have that much time left to find out, really.
I'm very sorry to read of your husbands passing. xxx
Thank you for your post.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I couldn't agree more but that is symptomatic of human vanity and hubris, NOT God. The very extraordinary power and freedom of thought our consciousness enables is fertile ground for all manner of abominations, war is only one of the more prevalent manifestations. Belief in God has been largely dominated by various religious dogmas that are the product of human vanity and hubris, as filtered through our human frailties. They sadly reflect our all too fallible and flawed attempts to understand our Reality and the God who is responsible for it. We use our consciousness and the influences on it that result from our attained knowledge through science and any inspirations from the Father of all consciousness, God, IMO.
Always surprised to see you write statements like this.
It sounds like you think god is fallible.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I personally believe there is one Source of Life in the Universe, whom some may call God, and that there are many paths to that Source. So I got them all covered!
Actually nicely worded!

Old 09-08-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hey, thanks! I'll have to check it out! I don't care if the interview is with an atheist, as long as he has something worthwhile to say.
Oh let me know if you do.
There are 11 episodes.

I've been picking and choosing which episodes to listen to depending on what I like the sound of.

The aforementioned
Where does morality come from?
And
What makes us who we are?
And
What's so great about life?

Are good ones.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:39 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Always surprised to see you write statements like this.
It sounds like you think god is fallible.
No, but we definitely are!!! The problem does not reside with God. It resides in our flawed and fallible attempts to understand and explain God to ourselves. I see God's communication problem as similar to the one a mother or father has in communicating with their unborn child in the womb. The issues and barriers are spiritual in nature and unlike physical fetuses, we can think and try to understand, but the lack of direct communication is analogous.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, but we definitely are!!! The problem does not reside with God. It resides in our flawed and fallible attempts to understand and explain God to ourselves. I see God's communication problem as similar to the one a mother or father has in communicating with their unborn child in the womb. The issues and barriers are spiritual in nature and unlike physical fetuses, we can think and try to understand, but the lack of direct communication is analogous.
What makes you so sure it isn't God that is flawed?

That would be a simpler explanation.

Of course there's another even more plausible answer as well, but this thread isn't about my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality