Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 10:19 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What if we all just practiced The Golden Rule that is inherent in just about every spiritual practice??
Ah...a principle! Religionists waste to much time trying to prove what cannot be proved, instead of concerning themselves with principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We did understand Cruithne's point. You did not.

As for the second part of my post, it was not claiming to know how you think, it was a question based on the evidence, and a data point for your education. I have no problem with the religious, just fundamentalism.

But you have no evidence for any of this. Perhaps if you ask people instead of telling them how special you are?
Yup.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:24 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
My Grandfather opened a Greek restaurant when he became a German citizen, I used to work there, and my older brother now owns it. My younger brother has also opened a Greek restaurant.

I like Apfelstrudel, especially my wife's.

I chose Blancmange because I find the word funny. If my brothers ever make it, I will disown them. If my wife does, now that is a moral dilemma.

Baklava beats Apfelstrudel any day. And I make a terrific tray of baklava. But I must say the Greek baklava is no match to the Turkish. Sorry about that.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:12 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
My Grandfather opened a Greek restaurant when he became a German citizen, I used to work there, and my older brother now owns it. My younger brother has also opened a Greek restaurant.

I like Apfelstrudel, especially my wife's.

I chose Blancmange because I find the word funny. If my brothers ever make it, I will disown them. If my wife does, now that is a moral dilemma.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It’s alright. Not the first time you have backtracked.
Or that you misunderstand the comments you are reading and then don't accept the truth of what people explain to you even after a second try.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I guess I misjudged indeed.
I guess you just can't admit when you are wrong. Even when made obvious...

Yet another sad result of confirmation bias in the extreme.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
She didn't backtrack on anything. She simply explained what she said earlier.
True, and I had no trouble understanding what was originally explained, or so she confirmed I was right about gleaning that understanding. Others who instead knee-jerk reacted to her comment, and got it all wrong to the point of FUBAR, can't now simply admit they were wrong about how they interpreted the comment. Instead it's "back tracking." What an embarrassing display!

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-01-2021 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes there is a definition for atheist.
the problem that arises is when simplistic sweeping generalizations are made about "believers" or about "atheists."

yes, there are believers. everything else, in words of the post above, is an individual thing.

many atheists like to make generalizations about "believers" or "religionists" but then take issue when generalizations are made about "atheists." that is a double standard.
Perhaps the problem more at work here is the "simplistic sweeping generalizations" that people like you make about comments posted by others? AKA misinterpretations due to a bad case of confirmation bias.

Possible?

Old 10-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, I don't think that's true at all. That's a fantasy that you keep coming back to. A christian, a Buddhist, and a Hindu do not believe in the same god. In fact, the typical Buddhist doesn't believe in god, regardless of how many times you personally misstate Buddhist belief. The father of Jesus is not Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the Destroyer and reincarnator...and there are christians who would like to damn you to hell for saying so.
Fantasy of fantasies that religious people love to promote as if the history of religion was all somehow the same from one end of the globe to the other, through the ages. I mean what?!? As if this well known history demonstrates any kind of universal faith in love, brotherhood and peace? Oneness? Then we read the actual history and come to appreciate what a fantastic fantasy this truly is...

Old 10-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
do you agree that all humans come from the same Source?
or is your belief that humans do not all have the same origin.

do you recognize that whatever system there is (i.e. before we are born, after we die, in between lifetimes, where the soul comes from, what the soul is) then that system applies for all people. for instance reincarnation. do you recognize that if there is reincarnation, then the system of reincarnation is in place for all humans, and that it is not dependent upon whether a person "believes" in it or not.

i'm not asking whether or not you believe in reincarnation. my question is that whatever the "system" turns out to be, do you believe or not that the system applies to all people, regardless of their beliefs.

like gravity works the same for all people, whether or not they believe in it or understand it or can explain how it works.
I suspect you can understand and explain how gravity works and applies to all of us far better than you can how religion does. Sure seems like that so far anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality