Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 02:17 PM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again?
Relevant every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 04:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
You and gld have it all figured out too.

"Shun?"

What I call a bit of drama there again...
Yes, you need to evoke emotion. Your ten commandments, cement theory, and atheist creed can't do squat outside of emotion. And you know it.

I use observation. I have far less of an ax to grind than you.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:47 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
I came across something recently and it was about certainly. Certainty is an emotion and not a conclusion.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:35 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I came across something recently and it was about certainly. Certainty is an emotion and not a conclusion.
So we can't conclude anything with certainty? Unemotionally?

Old 09-26-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
So we can't conclude anything with certainty? Unemotionally?
Conclusions are still conclusions but the feeling of being certain is just that, a feeling. I won't be able to explain it very well so here is my source. The first couple of minutes made me understand what they were talking about but I got lost with the rest of it as it's over my head.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2021/05...-a-conclusion/

This is the man being interviewed

https://www.rburton.com/

Old 09-26-2021, 08:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sung View Post
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic.
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong".

Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
That's true for life, in general. Everyone thinks they're correct about whatever the topic.

The question is what do we base our beliefs on? Do we base them off of feelings? Opinions? Scripture? I'd rather base mine off of what God has said.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:59 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's true for life, in general. Everyone thinks they're correct about whatever the topic.

The question is what do we base our beliefs on? Do we base them off of feelings? Opinions? Scripture? I'd rather base mine off of what God has said.
By "what God has said," are you referring to the opinions written down by ancient superstitious people, or the stuff that you hear in your head?

Old 09-26-2021, 09:05 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Conclusions are still conclusions but the feeling of being certain is just that, a feeling. I won't be able to explain it very well so here is my source. The first couple of minutes made me understand what they were talking about but I got lost with the rest of it as it's over my head.

"certainty", can mean when you hear another interpretation you kind of know it doesn't fit as well as some others.

Like once I saw a guy say that the Aztecs, or Mayan, one of them, cut the stone using parabolic mirrors. Just based on the engineering I was certain that's probably not what they did.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:14 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:

I only heard the first half, but I agree with what he said. I think it would also interest LearnMe as it is relevant to his cement theory.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I only heard the first half, but I agree with what he said. I think it would also interest LearnMe as it is relevant to his cement theory.
Did you listen to that whole thing? I would be interested in your take of it. I listened to it twice and had trouble making sense of it. I listen to podcasts while I work so I could have just been distracted. I did find it to be a little unnerving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality