Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sung View Post
But you have not made a decision that a god thingy does NOT exist, therefore you are leaving open the "possibility" (no matter how small). Therefore you are very much an agnostic atheist.
When a person calls knowledge "fact" we can always eventually find people who call that exact same knowledge "non factual".
Agreed, I am an agnostic atheist. I was correcting your view I am more agnostic. My apologies, I should have been more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 07:52 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic. People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong". Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
bold above, with regards to paths of religion and spirituality,
indicates in the person flawed logic, excruciating intolerance, and black-and-white thinking, which is a cognitive distortion.

Cognitive distortions are habitual ways of thinking that are often inaccurate and negatively biased. A cognitive distortion is an exaggerated or irrational thought pattern involved in the onset and perpetuation of psychopathological states.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:09 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic.
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong". Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
the bold above demonstrates flawed logic, a superiority complex, and intolerance.

holding different views doesn't make anyone "better."
someone disagreeing with you does not make them worse than you.

A superiority complex is a behavior where a person believes they’re somehow superior to others. People with a superiority complex have exaggerated opinions of themselves and frequently have boastful attitudes. These are a way to cover up feelings of failure, shortcoming, inadequacy.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I Know God, and He in my spiritual space day and night for over twenty years now, and I sense His presence He cleanses my spirit, even some pain in my body will stop
The problem is that many people in all religions feel exactly the same way that you do -- that they have the answer.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
You sound way more agnostic than atheist. It seems you think your agnostic atheist stance is the correct way to go and that those who don't adopt your stance are likely wrong.
I think that most atheists are, in reality, agnostic atheists. I think most of us would -- if given clear evidence that a particular religion was "the real truth", would accept that, and part of the reason is that most of us respect "real science".

Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Ah Peter600, so you are now admitting your default option may be wrong and your "logic" may be wrong and that it's possible that someone who disagrees with you on the matter may be correct.
Thanks for that admission.
Why does it have to be an "admission"?

Old 09-17-2021, 08:47 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above, with regards to paths of religion and spirituality,
indicates in the person flawed logic, excruciating intolerance, and black-and-white thinking, which is a cognitive distortion.

Cognitive distortions are habitual ways of thinking that are often inaccurate and negatively biased. A cognitive distortion is an exaggerated or irrational thought pattern involved in the onset and perpetuation of psychopathological states.
Quote:
the bold above demonstrates flawed logic, a superiority complex, and intolerance.

A superiority complex is a behavior where a person believes they’re somehow superior to others. People with a superiority complex have exaggerated opinions of themselves and frequently have boastful attitudes. These are a way to cover up feelings of failure, shortcoming, inadequacy.
To all would-be amateur psychiatrists, psychologists, psychoanalysts, and psychotherapist diagnosticians: There is a reason for professional certification. It limits the practice pool and prevents the application of psychopathology to otherwise normal human psychological functioning. What is true in the circumstances evidenced by psychopathology does NOT apply to normal human functioning. We are, at best, capable of diagnosing only the extreme tails of the normal distribution. The vast middle is no better than guesswork and the area where a little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:49 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:

Can you not read, or do you just have a need to create straw men to attack?

Quote:
Irony overload.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic.
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong".

Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
Going back to this opening post, it seems to me that you are trying -- maybe unintentionally -- to set up some dissent here. Asking "Are you better than that" sets a tone, as does you seeking "admission"s.

But now let me get to my beliefs.

From about age 8 to about age 16, I was raised a methodist. At age 16 I converted to catholicism. It wasn't long -- in part because of the behavior of some catholic priests -- that I began having doubts about that religion, and christianity in general. Nevertheless, until age 37 it didn't seem to me that I had an alternative to christianity. Then, on a vacation in Thailand I discovered an alternative -- Theravada Buddhism. From then until about age 67 I attempted to meld the two religions (much along the lines of, though not because of Thich Nhat Hanh). At about age 67, due to an event in my life, I dumped all belief in christianity.

But let me say something about that. I simply no longer believe in christianity. But at the same time I can look at the New Testament and say that there are some good principles outlined there. And, something could come along to convince me that christianity is the correct basis for life...HOWEVER, it would have to be something more than the SOS (same old you know what) that I've heard for the last 64 years.

I now consider myself a Buddhist. I believe in the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, and the Five Precepts. However, within those concepts there is always the understanding that Buddhism is very much an individual belief system, Buddha supposedly challenged his followers to question his teachings. And in conversations I have had with Buddhist monks in Thailand, I was often reminded that you take a teaching, you consider the teaching, and then you accept or reject the teaching...with the caveat that you don't throw the teaching you reject away, that you may come back to it and reconsider it. There's the old saying that the devil is in the details, and there are questions in my mind especially about two matters -- karma and rebirth leading to nibbana. I am openminded about those two concepts, but not convinced. I do think that there is a great deal of logic involved in karma, but that depends on how you define karma. If you define it as some sort of celestial justice system...then no, I don't believe in that. If you define it as a cause-and-effect system, then I believe in that, though it is unpredictable. In terms of rebirth and reaching nibanna...maybe...or is that concept what we can reach in our mind, rather than a literal rebirth? ANd according to what I have been taught (and not by Western monks) having those qualms is okay.

In general, Theravada Buddhism works for me. But I can see wisdom in some teachings of other religions, too. I don't think it has to be a binary choice.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:27 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,560 times
Quote:
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong".

Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
What good is it to have knowledge of all mysteries and not have any love in your heart.

When I go out in the morning to fill the bird feeders, one on a pole the other in a bowl on the ground. And many times by the time I have emptied and refilled the feeder on the pole, a rabbit has come out of the bushes and is right in front of the bowl waiting for me to fill it. Even the animals learn who to trust and who not to trust in this good and evil world. Who cares for you and who doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality