Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 10:32 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To all would-be amateur psychiatrists, psychologists, psychoanalysts, and psychotherapist diagnosticians: There is a reason for professional certification. It limits the practice pool and prevents the application of psychopathology to otherwise normal human psychological functioning. What is true in the circumstances evidenced by psychopathology does NOT apply to normal human functioning. We are, at best, capable of diagnosing only the extreme tails of the normal distribution. The vast middle is no better than guesswork and the area where a little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing.
a layperson is able to recognize black-and-white thinking, and is also able to understand why it is harmful behavior. and understand the ways it is a cognitive distortion.

that is not making a diagnosis. and it very much applies to daily human functioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a layperson is able to recognize black-and-white thinking, and is also able to understand why it is harmful behavior. and understand the ways it is a cognitive distortion.

that is not making a diagnosis. and it very much applies to daily human functioning.
A lay person is not always aware when it's them that is doing the black and white thinking or why their line of thinking may be harmful.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:27 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
A layperson ASSumes they can generalize what applies to the diagnosis of clearly pathological behavior and situations to non-pathological behavior and circumstances which is simply NOT true! It is pathological because it is NOT normal behavior!!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sung View Post
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic.
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong".

Are you better than that? If so, why and how?
What do you mean "better"?

Are you forcing your own beliefs on others by doing this?

The truth is:
- Everyone has the civil right to believe whatever they want to.
- Nobody has the right to say that someone else's belief is false.
- People can believe that the actions of others are morally wrong.
- Nobody has the right to try to change what others believe.
- Nobody has the power to prove or disprove someone else's belief.
- Nobody has the right to impose beliefs on others.
- Nobody has the right to try to change the beliefs of religions.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:18 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
I notice that lots of people on the Religion & Spirituality forum adopt the stance written in the title of this topic.
People like Hindus, Christians, Pantheists, atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics etc. They often claim to have "proof" of the content accuracy of their beliefs/opinions, & will usually not change their beliefs/opinions regardless of what anyone else proves or doesn't prove, says or doesn't say, & believes or doesn't believe. They think "I'm right & if you don't agree then you're wrong".

Great question/thread Sam Sung! Welcome! I also see you are new here and doing a fine job of trying to keep up with many comments by regulars in this forum who have long grappled with the question you pose. A problem quite prevalent in this forum...

I do have opinion or judgement about how people go about addressing different opinions and beliefs. How people come to believe what they do, and although I won't go as far as to presume I'm better or worse than anyone else, I do think I have something of a reputation to draw attention to this same issue or problem too. I've started many a thread about this dynamic that has no one changing their mind about anything of consequence regardless the facts, reason and logic exchanged in this forum. True outside this forum as well of course.

The regulars know which threads I have started about this sort of thing, and why this problem persists into our later years. If interested, let me know, and I'll point you in the direction of those threads.

Otherwise, I hope you will stick with this thread and perhaps explain what YOU think is the right or wrong way to address people who think others are wrong if they disagree, regardless the justification for disagreeing.

Time for me to sign off now, so maybe you will weigh in a bit more between now and if/when I return.

Meanwhile, your thread also reminds me of how my wife often tells me, "if I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong."

Cheers and thanks again! We NEED new blood here!

Old 09-17-2021, 01:08 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post

The truth is:
You definitely need to explain the 2 I bolded.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

The truth is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would like to hear the reasoning for those as well, Phet.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:39 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:

If we didn't think an opinion was the "right" opinion, then we wouldn't hold it, would we? By default then, any opposing opinion must be "wrong" from our perspective so long as the opinions are mutually exclusive.

Presumably, we've come to hold the opinions we have after much careful thought, study, and listening to people we trust who are smarter and wiser than us.

If I make an assertion and someone disagrees with it, the burden is on me to defend that assertion and explain why I believe the way I do.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:42 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:

The truth is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While we're at it, might as well add the one I just bolded. If by "power," we mean the "position of authority to force something on others," perhaps there is something to be considered in that statement, though even then worth discussing. But if by "power" we mean "capability"... that is obviously a false statement. For example, if I believe (no matter how sincerely) that the earth is flat, or the sun revolves around the earth, or the universe is 6000 years old, or the moon landing never occurred, or epilepsy is caused by demonic possession, or thunder is caused by Thor's hammer, or vaccines are ineffective, or bloodletting is effective medical therapy for cancer, or the election was stolen, or humans sprung out of thin air without any evolutionary ancestors... there are lots of people with the capability to disprove those beliefs (or to prove what is factually true, beyond a reasonable doubt).

As the old saying goes, "knowledge is power," and I would WANT them to exercise that power!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:57 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:

There are not many people that have their beliefs changed on here in terms of what deity they believe in or not as the case may be.
But I don't think that's the point.

I'm here to find out what other people believe and why they believe it and to try to understand it.

I don't know if that makes me better. We all have our own purposes for being here.
Some people are here to proselytize, some people people are here as a sort of therapy, some people are here to chat with like minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality